Richardgc
NorthNY
daggrant99
BarnBuilder
yanquidog
Artie
BFDX7
snax

AE02CC66-3117-43E1-88CC-6010CE609947.jpeg FF621730-6173-474C-A1E5-C8BB11B18488.jpeg 1AFBE59A-320C-40A8-B070-6C3777B7CB19.jpeg 64A9E839-B29B-4915-9D4B-8B97FB753D84.jpeg CC21CC96-C93A-4A43-BDE1-D2092D45643B.jpeg 21C6D14B-BB8F-4B23-853A-339A647E80FB.jpeg C960C95C-CCE8-41D3-B49A-CC4E3DA19D18.jpeg D9C44C12-FC98-47E6-BE6F-5BEE8CBFC4FF.jpeg 55610384-B2AF-4E75-ACAE-1DCE42388D6C.jpeg BDC7EF42-FFFE-4656-ACF4-E81787669952.jpeg FBB67F6E-4083-4CC9-9E41-5D9E986DE789.jpeg 9AA6DCA2-C692-4D8B-9192-19C1F698264C.jpeg

Alright guys and gals.
I think it's time to start planning for an October seminar.

For those that have not read about this or may be new here.

We basically spend a day going from scrap lead to ingot to as cast bullets to finished sized/coated/lubed bullets ready to load.
Explanations of how to and why to. All of the tools and accessories on premises for hands on learning.

Cast lead is cheap. It’s accurate. It can do a lot more than what most people think. Great for hunting. Can be pushed to rifle velocities with accuracy. Can be wrapped in a paper jacket and pushed 3000 FPS without leading. Can be shot in polygonal rifling with no issues.
Can be coated with the same coating(hi tek) that the big commercial guys use (bayou, SNS, gateway) and be treated like a plated bullet at that point.

Once you start asking around for scrap lead it starts appearing at your door. Basically free.
Take the most expensive component out of reloading.
1000 45 acp cartridges

1000 primers $ 32
$25 pound of powder at 5 grains each. $17
Free lead
Smidgen of electric
Tiny bit of propane
Little bit of bullet lube

Say $55 for 1000 cartridges.
Say you had to pay a dollar a pound for lead. That’s only another $29 for 1000 each 200 grain bullets.
So $84 for 1000 cartridges. Then you save on that tiny bit of propane for not smelting.

This seminar will be a little different. I'm thinking of dropping the cost a bit an excluding the bulk lead take home. This should free up some time smelting. We will have lead on hand in the melting pots to cast with. Everyone will go home with bullets they cast themselves.
We will focus more on sizing/lubing/coating/loading/paper patching tips an techniques. Odd ball loads and novelty type loads.

There are always great door prizes. Breakfast and Lunch is included in the price.

So let’s get the feelers out there and see who wants to take the next step in reloading.

If anyone has a question as to what cast lead bullets can or cannot do. What styles of bullets can be made. What cartridges they play well with or the ever popular health concerns please ask away.

Last edited:
Cost not set yet. Not sure we’re going to have people leave with ingot or just the bullets they cast.
Probably the latter to keep the cost down for attendees.
Location TBD but most likely Fairhaven MA

Well as usual I wont be going. But i will be in for a donation of lead for a door prize or to be used for the seminar.
Will be cleaning out another corner of the shed and pretty sure there is some more scrap to be cleared out.

Well as usual I wont be going. But i will be in for a donation of lead for a door prize or to be used for the seminar.
Will be cleaning out another corner of the shed and pretty sure there is some more scrap to be cleared out.
Always appreciate man!
Wish we could get you over though.

I have some more wheel weights/lead flashing to donate to the cause if someone can pick up in Worcester before I move to Indiana (have 2 or 3 months yet before that happens, so no rush). This is an EXCELLENT seminar, and i guarantee everyone will come out of it with more knowledge than going into it.

So on the way home last night i scored a LP tank with gas in it.
Weighed it on my bathroom scale at 16lbs. had to move some other smelting equipment so ......

View: https://youtu.be/DY1tns4SsEU

View: https://youtu.be/QZALr1rA9RU

I will weigh the ignots when they cool. They stay warm for a long time!
I used 2.65lbs of LP per my crap bathroom scale.
Diaclaimer: the scale I use was replaced because its not accurate also add I use it on the lawn does mot help. Although after a few years of using it it is accurate enough to see changes if you dont move the scale.

Total lead smelted in aprox 1:20min 47lbs
Usung 2.65lbs LP. 47lbs
Or anout .05lbs of propane per pound.
Or aprox 400lbs of lead on one 20lb tank.

So if your paying $18 or so to fill a 20lb tank your at about 5 cents per pound to melt? Im hot and hungry now so if my math is off let me know

I know with efficient use of wind blockers and the first half of a tank with higher pressure will be more efficient. You should do 500lba easy especially if you make a day of smelting down large batches.

Sorry for the hijack of thread but just tossing out there that its not hard ot expensive to get casting from scrap to bullet. The Seminar will be worth your time and money. I grew up around casters but did not bother with my own until I bought my house.
Its fun and I have the time to do it. So I do

For more useless info , I did drag the tank inside to a accurate scale
Tank weighs 25lbs and the Tanks TW is 16 so 9lbs of gas in that free tank!

Last edited:
View attachment 292322 View attachment 292323 View attachment 292324 View attachment 292325 View attachment 292326 View attachment 292327 View attachment 292328 View attachment 292329 View attachment 292330 View attachment 292331 View attachment 292332 View attachment 292333

Alright guys and gals.
I think it's time to start planning for an October seminar.

For those that have not read about this or may be new here.

We basically spend a day going from scrap lead to ingot to as cast bullets to finished sized/coated/lubed bullets ready to load.
Explanations of how to and why to. All of the tools and accessories on premises for hands on learning.

Cast lead is cheap. It’s accurate. It can do a lot more than what most people think. Great for hunting. Can be pushed to rifle velocities with accuracy. Can be wrapped in a paper jacket and pushed 3000 FPS without leading. Can be shot in polygonal rifling with no issues.
Can be coated with the same coating(hi tek) that the big commercial guys use (bayou, SNS, gateway) and be treated like a plated bullet at that point.

Once you start asking around for scrap lead it starts appearing at your door. Basically free.
Take the most expensive component out of reloading.
1000 45 acp cartridges

1000 primers $ 32
$25 pound of powder at 5 grains each. $17
Free lead
Smidgen of electric
Tiny bit of propane
Little bit of bullet lube

Say $55 for 1000 cartridges.
Say you had to pay a dollar a pound for lead. That’s only another $29 for 1000 each 200 grain bullets.
So $84 for 1000 cartridges. Then you save on that tiny bit of propane for not smelting.

This seminar will be a little different. I'm thinking of dropping the cost a bit an excluding the bulk lead take home. This should free up some time smelting. We will have lead on hand in the melting pots to cast with. Everyone will go home with bullets they cast themselves.
We will focus more on sizing/lubing/coating/loading/paper patching tips an techniques. Odd ball loads and novelty type loads.

There are always great door prizes. Breakfast and Lunch is included in the price.

So let’s get the feelers out there and see who wants to take the next step in reloading.

If anyone has a question as to what cast lead bullets can or cannot do. What styles of bullets can be made. What cartridges they play well with or the ever popular health concerns please ask away.
I'm interested

One of the things I get distressed about is not being close enough to help with the Casting Workshop.
I'm grateful that Michael has picked up the reins, and that this activity that I had a hand in, continues.
I dearly remember the last one that I was able to be there for. Good friends, and met a lot of new people. The WX that day was also perfect. Very different WX than the very first workshop that I held at my home in Maine (there's a link around somewhere with images from that day).
Wish I could be there for this one, but doubtful I'll make it to New England any time soon. Healthwise, I am doing fine. Just too much going on here to get away. So, hope this 2019 casting workshop goes well. You are all in my thoughts.

BTW, Michael, I'm pretty sure we have talked about this in the past, but there was a time I lived at 62 Fort Street in Fairhaven. At the time, I was working for the old Continental Screw Company in New Bedford. LOVE Fairhaven!!

Duke we wish we had you up to help out too.
I'm glad a few more are showing interest. I don't think shooter understand how much casting can change your life : )
You did mention that. PM incoming

just some fun stuff
In my above post I did a quick smelting of wheel weights. it was not a planned event. So with in 3 hours. I was able to set up , sort, melt and pour 140lbs of lead all while doing a bunch of clean up in the general area,
I forget exactly but it was about 90lbs wheel clip on wheel weight alloy and 50lbs of roof flashing.
You can buy basically the same stuff as wheel weights already smelted for $1.50/lb per 1000lbs
Pallet Recycled Lead Ingots 1000 Pounds $1.49 per pound Freight included lyman #2 at around $4/lb and Soft lead alloy for around $2/lb

so the way I look at it is go with the
recycled lead price and its $225/150lbs of lead or about $75 hr----I would need to make to buy this lead? I dont make $75 and hour and dont have a lot of chances to work more hours anyway so Its a huge cost saver for me.

Ok so for those interested......

Lets talk casting. Who has questions? What do you want to see and learn? Who is lurking and in the "Lead sucks because it's smoky and lead causes cancer and I don't have the time and lead is only for light target loads and lead isn't accurate in rifles and lead will blow up my glock fotay and all the other excuses or myths?

Lets get this to be open discussion to pique the interest a little more and get set up for the best seminar yet.

I would love to learn how to cast some RNFP or SWC for 45LC. Subbed for date and cost.

One of the easiest cartridges to cast and load for. Very forgiving and even at the heaviest powder charges you don't need to start playing any tricks to get it done right.

I can give you some lead if you want it for your seminar.
Wheel weights. Cast into muffin tin sized pucks, already fluxed out, or wheel weights in their natural, uncleaned, greasy dirty form. Or a akron bin full of miscasts.
Up to you. A stack of one, or a painters cup full of the other.
I live in West Bridgewater, work in South Easton.

I can give you some lead if you want it for your seminar.
Wheel weights. Cast into muffin tin sized pucks, already fluxed out, or wheel weights in their natural, uncleaned, greasy dirty form. Or a akron bin full of miscasts.
Up to you. A stack of one, or a painters cup full of the other.
I live in West Bridgewater, work in South Easton.
Sounds good to me! thanks man!

As always i have lead to donate or give to someone doing the seminar. i have several forms, alloys and such.
It would need to be picked up in hanover ma.

I’ll echo this...same, but picked up in between Worcester and Westborough.

You’ll be the cats ass at the seminar if you show up with a 5gal bucket of wheel weights and flashing! :D

I’ll echo this...same, but picked up in between Worcester and Westborough.

You’ll be the cats ass at the seminar if you show up with a 5gal bucket of wheel weights and flashing! :D
i still have more sorting to do .
i have some big chunks of lead i would love to ID alloy type.

Regarding dates I can do October 12. (The 19th starts Muzzle loader for deer in NNY and its all deer until Dec 9th)

Well my prior answer lasted all of five hours before my schedule changed!

I got a chance to do something on my bucket list. Going to South Bend to see the Fighting Irish play football and spend the weekend with friends from 40 years ago. Got tix for the Oct5 game.

Edited post to remove October 5 date.

Obviously don’t schedule this around me!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom