• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anti's are at it again in Tiverton,R.I.

finest

NES Member
Tiverton Rod & Gun Club in Tiverton, RI needs our help!
The town council of Tiverton is holding a hearing on Tuesday, August 12th, 2014 at 7pm. The location of the hearing is at the Tiverton High School, 100 N Brayton Road, Tiverton, RI 02878.

Up for discussion is a town shooting ordinance that - if it passes - will close Tiverton Rod and Gun Club! It will also give the anti-gun groups fuel to go from town to town and close every single gun club in the state! This is just as important as any anti-gun bill at the State House.

We need to show our support and stand united.
If anyone signs up to testify please remember to be respectful! Please testify to the ordinance and nothing else. There are Town Council Members who are on our side, so we don't want to alienate them with inappropriate behavior. So again, please be respectful!

Here's hoping everyone can show up & stand together in this fight!
See the proposed ordinance by clicking here.

Please forward this message to your friends!
We need as many people as possible to respectfully stand up and voice their opposition.

Here is the proposed ordinance:
http://www.tiverton.ri.gov/document...Redlined Ch 8 Shooting Ranges for 8-12-14.pdf

I will be there to help defeat this power grab. If this passes here, it will spread from town to town like a cancer.

So I read through the ordinance. I'm not sure I see where any of the proposed language would close an already operational shooting range. Is there something specific that would shut down the range, something particularly onerous? Is the ordinance an attempt to make it impossible to operate a range? If so, how? I'm never a fan of new laws but I can't imagine anyone is going to get away with unregulated firing ranges, particularly in a place like Tiverton. If you walk into a Town Meeting and can't explain what is wrong with this ordinance you will not get very far. Just saying, "I don't like it" is a good way to get your argument dismissed.

The licensing costs would be astronomical. The annual Application fee $200 plus full site plan including 400 ft of abutters property including all roads buildings and parking areas. The applicant is responsible for all costs to the town to process the application including outside legal council and engineering. All noise complaints will require noise engineers to do testing on all property lines. It just gives too much power over to the town council.

FYI, the ordinance was passed last night, despite about 500 people showing up to oppose it.

The Tiverton Rod and Gun Club sold out and collaborated with the Town Council to get it passed, with the understanding that TRGC would get an exemption from the requirements. That move backfired on TRGC, and the ordinance was passed without the exemption.

TIVERTON, R.I. (WPRI)- Hundreds of residents packed a Tiverton auditorium Tuesday night to speak out against a controversial proposal.

The town council approved an ordinance that requires new and existing indoor shooting ranges to be licensed and regulated.
The ordinance was proposed in response to a request by business owner Randy Lebeau to build a gun store and indoor shooting range on Main Road. Lebeau says the plan was approved by zoning officials.

Residents who live nearby the proposed shooting range say they don’t want the business to be there, citing fears about safety.

The new ordinance would also place restrictions on the existing Tiverton Rod and Gun Club. The club is a non-profit facility and members claim it should be exempt from the new restrictions. Town officials say they are not trying to be punitive but are putting the community’s safety first. Tiverton’s town solicitor tells Eyewitness News he believes the Rod and Gun club is in compliance with the proposed ordinance except for the insurance policy.

http://wpri.com/2014/08/13/town-passes-controversial-ordinance/

FYI, the ordinance was passed last night, despite about 500 people showing up to oppose it.
Of course it did. Who didn't see that coming?

The Tiverton Rod and Gun Club sold out and collaborated with the Town Council to get it passed, with the understanding that TRGC would get an exemption from the requirements. That move backfired on TRGC, and the ordinance was passed without the exemption.
Pretty much the definition of shooting oneself in the foot.

http://wpri.com/2014/08/13/town-passes-controversial-ordinance/

So I guess the Tiverton Rod and Gun Club will either change their name to the Tiverton Rod Club or they have real estate to sell.

So I guess the Tiverton Rod and Gun Club will either change their name to the Tiverton Rod Club or they have real estate to sell.
Time will tell. The ordinance was watered down from its original version, so TRGC may be able to live with it. But it does put in place a discretionary licensing system by which the TC can deny the right to build a range in town for any reason. They also gave themselves the power to suspend or cancel any license. TRGC may live on as the first, and last gun range in Tiverton.

Back
Top Bottom