Antique M91 Carcano in 6.5X54ms?

I didn't have a Carcano Long Rifle in the collection, so yesterday I added an antique (1894) Model 91 Terni in what appears to be in Mannlicher-Schonauer caliber of 6.5x54mm, stamped across the top barrel flat. I have not done a casting of the chamber to confirm. There are no markings that I can locate to confirm Austro-Hungarian or Greek influence on the apparent chamber change from 6.5X52mm, so I'm not sure what to make of the stamp on the barrel shank.... ???

terni_m91_009.jpg

terni_m91_011.jpg

terni_m91_015.jpg

This rifle is splendidly refinished, non-import marked. Bluing is high luster on the metal, with what appears to be the original pairing of the barrel and receiver. The crossed rifle stamp is a bonus. Not sure what to make of the receiver ring stamps - hoping to learn.

terni_m91_001.jpg

terni_m91_002.jpg

terni_m91_003.jpg

terni_m91_005.jpg

terni_m91_007.jpg

terni_m91_012.jpg

terni_m91_013.jpg

The beech stock has great color and uniform grain. I forgot to picture the sanded matching number on the stock, and the 3/4" chip behind the receiver tang, which is the only major detraction on the gun. The chip is not deep, and shouldn't interfere with firing.

terni_m91_017.jpg

terni_m91_021.jpg

terni_m91_022.jpg

terni_m91_023.jpg

terni_m91_024.jpg

terni_m91_025.jpg

Bolt is of the updated extractor style, and not matching. Bore (not pictured) will need some scrubbing as it appears encrusted in cosmoline (?), but rifling appears deep.

terni_m91_019.jpg

terni_m91_020.jpg

The shop owner had it out for $175, and we agreed on $150 plus tax. So I couldn't say no. It's my best looking Carcano, thus far, and a finely crafted gun overall. Thanks for looking, fellas.

terni_m91_014.jpg

terni_m91_015.jpg

Thanks for the link.

And although this may once have had the E-stamp on the receiver, it may have been scrubbed. The more I look into this, the more it appears that the gun was polished a bit aggressively before it was blued. As a member of another forum pointed out, if the caliber stamp had been made in Europe before export, there would have been a comma instead of a decimal point in the designation, i.e. 6,5 X 54.

So, instead of a specimen of collector's interest, this is starting to look more like a purdy wallhanger... unless it drives tacks.

Very nice looking rifle. If you take it to the range let us know how it does. Make sure you use the .268 bullets (I.e. hornady) not the partisan .264 bullets which will probably give you 8 inch groups.

That is a nice early '91. I have a 91/41 dated 1942 and there are some differences between mine and yours, most importantly the rear sight and the barrel shank. I have a 1934 Beretta 91/28 that also has the octagonal barrel behind the rear sights.

At $150 I would have swept that up in a heartbeat. It is an interesting rifle because it is so early. I would hold onto it until you can find a nice early example that has not been messed with.

Back
Top Bottom