Antique Gun Restoration

I picked up a very nice late 18th century double barrel cap lock hunting shotgun from an estate sale that needs restoration. Anyone have any good references?
I have an appointment with a guy out of Natick. Sergey from Rustblue Gunsmithing. Anyone have any reviews on his work?[smile]

I'd give collectors arms in North Chelmsford a call, while I'm not sure he does restoration, he does have a spot in the back that looks suspiciously like a place he might work on flint/percussion rifles.

Over the years shooting trap I have seen several of Sergey work from fixing stocks to refinishing and re soldering shotgun barrels. All look great.

Oh and post some pics

what kind of shotgun is it. do you want it to just look good to hang over the fireplace or to actually fire. there's some really great guys nation wide who are doing spectacular restoration work but you're gonna pay dearly.

what kind of shotgun is it. do you want it to just look good to hang over the fireplace or to actually fire. there's some really great guys nation wide who are doing spectacular restoration work but you're gonna pay dearly.

+1. Whether or not you shoot that thing will depend if that shotgun has a Damascus steel barrel or not. Damascus barrels are made up of a wound wire that's welded together. Over many decades, they can fail easily. Some won't but I would not feel safe unless I was able to have the barrels examined thoroughly by a pro before I shot it. IF you are only going to display it, however, have at it. Also, if it were mine, I'd want to have anyone who worked on it preserve the patina and history of the shotgun rather than make it like new or attempt to do so. Stabilize the wood and protect the metal from further rust. Just my 2cents.

Roma, aka Cabinetman

Thanks for all your replies. I've got an appointment this week with Sergey so I'll see what he says. The rust took this gun over about 2-3 decades ago so any hope for a decent patina is long gone.
Sorry, meant to say it's 19th century, probably civil war era or a little bit later. Not restoring to shoot again, mostly for display only. It's the extra fancy model, lots of scroll work, brass (gold?) inlays.
Here's a pic for anyone curious…..

Back
Top Bottom