• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Antique Firearm Options

TWtommers

Instructor
NES Member
A friend of mine showed me this pistol that's been in her family for years.

photo 1.jpg

From what I can see (and Google) its a Model 1858 Navy from Starr Arms in .44 Caliber. The numbers on the cylinder and frame match. I can't get the action to work nor can I get it open. Its rusted to hell but might be salvageable (by my guess). The owner wants to keep it because of its family history. Evidently, this was carried by a many times great grandfather. The wood grip is actually notched 7 times, presumably for confederate kills.

The question is, what can be done to this firearm? I realize that much of an antique firearm's value comes from its condition/originality so I'm assuming that restoring the gun would dramatically reduce its monetary value. However, I do know that the owner would love to see it restored to a better, if not functional, condition.

photo 2.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 5.jpg

You have only 2 choices, preserve its originality or make it shootable and shoot it. Either way, I would oil it to arrest the decay.

It's rusted enough that I seriously doubt it has much value in "original condition". If it can be made to fire, I would not worry about preserving the originality in favor of having a working gun.

There is also the reverse electrolysis method for rust removal.

Full description below and it's not expensive.

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

This would be my suggestion. I've used this technique quite a few times on various items including a BMW engine block.

It looks like it may be missing the trigger pivot/screw as well. If one can't found it could certainly be made.

Last edited:
There is also the reverse electrolysis method for rust removal.

Full description below and it's not expensive.

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

I like this idea a lot. I'll pass this one on! Thanks.

Sounds like the consensus is what I was already thinking. The gun isn't worth much in its current condition so we might as well make it a shooter if possible.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom