• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anticipated Mass approval date for M&P 2.0?

The Edge Lab

Dealer
NES Member
Im interested in the M&P 2.0 of in 9mm which was just released.

Im guessing there's no sure way to know but generally how long does the wonderful state of Massachusetts take to place a firearm on the approved list?

Best guess by mid year. S&W usually submits for MA approval after a release and the EOPS roster comes out every few months.

it probably depends on S&W as much as the bureaucracy. the Ruger American just got listed and it's been for how long now, 2 years?

Also it'll depend on if they have to dump the 1.0s lol gotta sell where u can. Although the grips suck and I still hate the hinge trigger. But ymmv

It's a shame they haven't done anything to improve the Shield's grip or address the difficulty racking the slide and making cleaning that gun easier. I'd like to see it offered with the same grips as the Shield 45 and with a better trigger. Their new gun just looks like another H&K VP9 to me....

1. who cares

2. the list reads "M&P 9". it's the same gun. it's already on the list. find an FFL to transfer it and congratulations. please stop inventing rules that don't exist.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a shame they haven't done anything to improve the Shield's grip or address the difficulty racking the slide and making cleaning that gun easier. I'd like to see it offered with the same grips as the Shield 45 and with a better trigger. Their new gun just looks like another H&K VP9 to me....

presumably you're referring to the shield 9?
-S&W will upgrade their grip to the shield-45 style in due time. they probably want to sell off all their current stock
-the difficulty racking the slide is the same reason it shoot so soft - make the RSA lighter and it will recoil harder
-cleaning the gun is difficult? it breaks down easily like the rest of them.

1. who cares

2. the list reads "M&P 9". it's the same gun. it's already on the list. find an FFL to transfer it and congratulations. please stop inventing rules that don't exist.

^^^^^ This!

I know that some want to see SKU 121232 on the roster and some moronic mfrs have done this, it is beyond stupid and causes all sorts of problems where there should be no problems. Smart companies list the gun as Model 123, no dash numbers, no SKUs, etc. Therefore when they make minor changes that have NO affect on the safety or test results of the tested model, they are GTG!

Review the requirements (tests) to get on the EOPS Roster . . . it involves things like melt point of the steel, drop tests, etc. Changing the grips, sights, a SKU with 1 mag vs. a SKU with 2 mags, adding a rail, etc. have ZERO affect on the safety of the gun or the prior test results. I'll use the modular Sig P320 series as an example . . . no matter the size of the gun grip module, caliber, sights, color of the grip module, etc. all these models should be on the roster by "engineering evaluation" (allowed in the law) done at the same time they tested a particular model . . . none of these variations change the test results.

-------------------------

To the OP's question:

It's all up to S&W. Whenever they get the guns tested and submit the results to the GCAB at one of their monthly meetings, it gets "recommended" for approval and goes to the Secretary of Public Safety for his/her final approval (it can sit on that person's desk for days/weeks/months or be dealt with immediately, Sec. of PS is in the driver's seat), once it is signed off, it waits until the publication of the next (roughly quarterly) roster in the Boston Glob and then it can be sold in MA (assuming mfr asserts that it meets AG's BS requirements as well - that is a self-certification as long as it isn't a Glock).

The problem is there are no 10rd mags available for the 2.0 yet...

2.0 uses same magazines as the original. There was a guy at IDPA Indoor National at S&W last week shooting one and he borrowed some of my mags because the gun only came with 2. (He was a guest shooter on staff day and S&W lent him the gun to use)

I'm more curious when we'll start seeing the blowout deals on the 1.0. There must be some dirty deals to be had on the horizon when retailers are looking to blow out all stacks of M&Ps that have probably been sitting there already.

I'm more curious when we'll start seeing the blowout deals on the 1.0. There must be some dirty deals to be had on the horizon when retailers are looking to blow out all stacks of M&Ps that have probably been sitting there already.

The M&P is a cheap handgun to begin with, particularly on the used market, probably not going to be much price shaving on
that. That's kinda like comparing the diff in value between a Gen3 and a Gen4 glock, it's like $50 difference or less.

The M&P is probably going to be the same way- any savings you get are going to be so minimal only a skinflint would get excited about it...

-Mike

Same price: new Canik TP9SF vs used M&P gen 1

even w a head injury this is an obvious choice.

I have the 5" FDE 2.0. Great gun. Yes, the standard m&p mags work as do holsters and sights. Mine is wearing Ameriglo Hackathorns and a FDE Streamlight tlr-1 hl

Anyone hearing about dates for the 2.0? Guessing after the rebate expires again for the blow out sales for the 1.0....

Anyone hearing about dates for the 2.0? Guessing after the rebate expires again for the blow out sales for the 1.0....

Serious response: Call S&W Customer Support and ask when their 2.0 versions are being submitted to GCAB. If you get an estimated date from them, add 1-3 months for publication and you'll be in the ballpark.

I won an M&P 2.0 from S&W in February at the IDPA Indoor Nationals. They would not ship to any FFL in MA. Got tired of waiting and had them ship to an FFL in NH. Called S&W and verified they would ship to NH. Had FFL contact them. About 10 days later the FFL in NH had it. I really figured that was my only option otherwise I would be waiting until next year for it.

According to S&W it has been submitted for testing and should be on the next list. This is according to Mass Firearms and Gun Parlor who spoke to S&W directly.
And the next list is overdue at this point.

A sales person at the Gun Parlor told me the same. He said to expect it 4th quarter this year.

Back
Top Bottom