• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anti-Gun Utah Professor

"
An instructor at the University of Utah is facing massive backlash after she created a "Second Amendment zone" in her classroom. Students who legally carried were forced to stand in a corner of the room that was roped off just for them, Campus Reform reported.

The instructor provided her "weapons policy" to students, which stated:

Concealed carry is protected under your second amendment rights! However, because the University of Utah reserves the right to restrict elements of the first amendment on campus to specifically sanctioned ‘free speech zones’ I am reserving the right to restrict elements of the second amendment in my own classroom.

If you feel that it is somehow at all appropriate to bring a gun to class (hint: it is not—this is absurd, antisocial, and frightening behavior), you are restricted to spending your time in class in my "second amendment zone" a 3x3 taped square on the floor in the very back of the classroom, that will be shared with all other gun carriers. This zone also does not include a desk, because desks are reserved for students who respect the personal and psychological safety of their classmates and instructor.

Here's what the space looked like:"
A College Instructor Comes Under Fire For Segregating Concealed Carriers In Her Class

Sounds like it was a Teaching Assistant, not a Prof. Disappointed that none of the articles included her name so that she could be publicly shamed (and praised I guess). At least there was a happy ending.

Update: Great news! I have been assured that this teacher has been reprimanded for publishing a syllabus against University policy. She was asked and has issued an apology to her students. Her syllabus has been retracted by the University and they are committed to making sure that she receives proper training. Thank you to the University and to the brave students who raised this issue. The price of liberty is constant vigilance. Please share!

they made her say she was sorry. [crying] everyone apologizes now and it's just meaningless. anyone remember when apologies were sincere?

Didnt immediately fire? Anything less is not a solution. You don't just ask people like that apologize because they just keep trying to get what they want.
My guess is most staff are completely on board with what the teaching assistant did, but they did not want to become a lightning rod for 2A-supporters.

Utah has had campus carry for 14 years. Blood has not run in the streets specifically because of campus carry. And overlooked, I'm sure intentionally, by gun prohibitionists is the fact Utah is not a constitutional carry state, so legal concealed carriers on state campuses are a fraction of legal concealed carriers, who themselves are a fraction of firearm owners. The same is true in Texas, where professors have also tried to gin up fear over the non-issue of campus carry.

3 possible responses occur to me (beyond the obvious expressions of outrage resulting in false apologies and retraction):
  1. Concealed means concealed
  2. Enter classroom, unload and remove magazine from pistol, place pistol in safe space, take normal seat (and see #1 WRT to BUG). Announce loudly that your gun felt unsafe in this classroom so you've placed it in the safe space.
  3. Same as #2 but with open carry AR, if allowed by school policy
Show stupidity for what it is.

I lived in Utah for over 10 years. Never met a sole that was anti 2A or in favor of any type of "ban". However, being well past my college days, I didn't spend much time "on campus" aside from a job fair once and...oh ya...a gun show. It was in Utah County (very conservative and heavily Mormon) and it was head and shoulders above any gun show I have attended since I moved back to Ma. a few years ago.

I can't believe any student would agree to stand in the "box". I'd have laughed at her told her to f*** off.
Umm if they are armed, how did she make them get in the box?

^These.

If Utah is not real invested in "suitability",
here's what occurs to me:

2ginol.jpg

The saddest part about this is it's basically a professor virtue signaling rather than taking advantage of a potential teaching opportunity. Both in undergrad and law school I had professors ask about 2nd amendment positions, including campus carry, and ask students to have a dialogue in the classroom about it. I'm no fool, it's pretty common knowledge that the vast majority of academia is of the liberal bent, but that doesn't need to mean shit. I had plenty of professors I knew in fact to be very liberal that taught in, as far as I could tell, an entirely unbiased manner. This woman is simply unfit to teach.

Mike

Shove your phony apology.
She should have been canned right on the spot.

I think all potential teachers should have to submit a thesis on the U.S. Constitution, including the more volatile amendments to get a sense of where they're at and determine if they're capable, emotionally, of being in the classroom. No one should be allowed to work with an impressional audience if they can't respect opposing views. How do people debate today in this PC environment? Do we all agree so we don't offend and hurt someone's feelings?

I think all potential teachers should have to submit a thesis on the U.S. Constitution, including the more volatile amendments to get a sense of where they're at and determine if they're capable, emotionally, of being in the classroom. No one should be allowed to work with an impressional audience if they can't respect opposing views. How do people debate today in this PC environment? Do we all agree so we don't offend and hurt someone's feelings?

Something should happen.
It appears there are no standards at all right now.
It is kind of sad that any of those kids complied .
The proper response to having their civil rights violated should have been a hardy GFYS.

Lots of good points here with regard to "concealed means concealed" and "make me". However, I feel we're missing something else. What the hell is with a campus that has designated free speech zones as per this teacher's "policy". If that's the case, shouldn't someone be going after the mouth-breather that dreamed that up as apparently unchallenged campus policy?

The saddest part about this is it's basically a professor virtue signaling rather than taking advantage of a potential teaching opportunity. Both in undergrad and law school I had professors ask about 2nd amendment positions, including campus carry, and ask students to have a dialogue in the classroom about it. I'm no fool, it's pretty common knowledge that the vast majority of academia is of the liberal bent, but that doesn't need to mean shit. I had plenty of professors I knew in fact to be very liberal that taught in, as far as I could tell, an entirely unbiased manner. This woman is simply unfit to teach.

Mike
I only remember two classes where the professors were open about their politics. One prof (some kind of ethics class) was a liberal, and he never shoved the shit in your face. If you wrote your papers with a liberal view, you got an A though...
I had another class on geography of all things...and the prof was a huge libertarian. Every class would turn into a huge discussion on the politics of whatever region we were talking about. I remember a week long argument about the war in Bosnia at the time. I don't even think we made it through half the book.
All my other profs I assumed were mostly liberals, because most of them seemed like they were stoned half the time.

I only remember two classes where the professors were open about their politics. One prof (some kind of ethics class) was a liberal, and he never shoved the shit in your face. If you wrote your papers with a liberal view, you got an A though...
I had another class on geography of all things...and the prof was a huge libertarian. Every class would turn into a huge discussion on the politics of whatever region we were talking about. I remember a week long argument about the war in Bosnia at the time. I don't even think we made it through half the book.
All my other profs I assumed were mostly liberals, because most of them seemed like they were stoned half the time.

The only one I remember being involved in politics at all was a LP activist from... the physics department?*

Interesting "PC vs un-PC" note: I had a social psychology professor - US Army, retired. One of the things he taught us: "There's a kernel of truth to every stereotype." Don't know if you could get away with teaching that today, even in the context of social psychology class.

* Edit (from the "How Could I Forget?? Department"): Plus a visiting lecturer in the music department, who had a "Ron Paul for President" bumper sticker (alongside his "Mike Dukakas for What?!?") That was actually the first time I even heard of the LP.

I remember two classes where it turned political, both were English Lit. One professor went on about Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee and then the conversation shifted to how awful we were to drop the bomb on Japan. Strange that he had no problem with what the Japanese did to the Chinese, Filipinos, Vietnamese, Koreans, or the POWs....the second professor wanted us to vote against Mitt Romney saying how awful it would be if we didn't teach English as a Second Language in schools in primarily Spanish (makes sense, right?). I learned early that it was easier to keep my own counsel and make myself heard at the voting booth.

I remember two classes where it turned political, both were English Lit.

The only time I heard a faculty member make a political comment in four solid years was an older Canadian-born lit. professor commenting that an (absent) member of the class might have had a bone to pick with a reading assignment because he suspected his family might have been Nationalist emigres from Spain, and thus a tad on the conservative side. (It was probably the very classical Russian Lit. class). I don't remember any student pitching a hairy conniption in class. While the prof. might have been quietly on the wry side, he was deeply beloved as an easy grader, and I can't imagine him snarking a student behind their back to the whole class. Maybe it was an apology in case anyone else was triggered. It's a mysterious memory.

However, I attended an engineering school that might fairly be called the Lacey Davenport Institute of Technology. It was so conservative that after the Iranian embassy takeover, 1+ campus-facing dorm room(s) completely filled their picture windows with giant letters:

NUKE IRAN

and they were up for months.

I can imagine plenty of the faculty were harshed over the lack of nuance, but it's not like they protested by flying an elbow-patched jacket upside down as a signal of distress.

IncompatibleIncomparableEyra-small.gif

However, I feel we're missing something else. What the hell is with a campus that has designated free speech zones as per this teacher's "policy". If that's the case, shouldn't someone be going after the mouth-breather that dreamed that up as apparently unchallenged campus policy?
They did go after that policy... and shot down the free speech zones.

Utah passed HB54 a couple years back, requiring higher education institutions to drop "free speech zone" limitations and expand free speech to any outside spaces.

Back
Top Bottom