Anti-gun, tax evader Dianne Wilkerson declares victory.

So, once again, a convicted criminal with a decidedly anti-gun agenda has been elected into a position where she makes important decisions regarding our RKBA.

Gun owners in this state are heading for some deep shit...

State Senator Dianne Wilkerson's bid for political survival hung in the balance early this morning, as city election officials hand-counted votes in her write-in primary against three challengers.

At 2 a.m. this morning, the Associated Press reported that Wilkerson had 5,466 votes, or 48 percent, to 5,325 votes, 46 percent, for Sonia Chang-Díaz, with 100 percent of the precincts tabulated. A city official, however, maintained the race was still too close to call.

Just before midnight, Wilkerson had tearfully declared victory, telling cheering supporters that she had won by 1,200 votes. Her campaign said it was basing the victory declaration on unofficial tallies it had.

She was dancing as people cheered and clapped and raised their hands to Elton John's pop hit, ``I'm Still Standing." ``I want to thank God," she told supporters.

Chang-Díaz, a 28-year-old former teacher from Jamaica Plain, was not conceding defeat. ``Our info is just incomplete," said the candidate, who smiled through tears. ``Believe me, I wish I could tell you more."

She said she would go to City Hall today to check if there were any voting irregularities. Her campaign said there was much confusion with the stickers that voters had to use on the ballots. In some precincts, it was possible that some votes were counted incorrectly, she told about 50 supporters gathered at Doyle's Cafe in Jamaica Plain last night.

Chang-Díaz had increased her visibility in recent days lately with sharpened attacks against Wilkerson and frequent neighborhood visits.

Wilkerson, 51, a 13-year incumbent, dashed through the district yesterday, hugging voters. She handed out fliers listing her accomplishments, in an effort to save her seat after she failed to garner the 300 signatures needed to put her name on the ballot, forcing the write-in campaign. She said there were problems with the stickers, which were getting stuck in the voting machines.

Also contesting the race were Democrat John Kelleher, 62, a former state representative and a police detective; and Samiyah Diaz, 28, who is running as a Republican in the November election.

Diaz also ran as a write-in candidate in the Democratic primary to improve her chances of winning the seat in the heavily Democratic Second Suffolk District, which covers Chinatown, Fenway, Jamaica Plain, Mission Hill, the South End, Roxbury, and parts of Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Dorchester, and Mattapan.

The challengers made a point of Wilkerson's failure to pay federal income taxes and campaign donations and expenses that are being investigated by the state attorney general's office.

Wilkerson has apologized for any actions that hurt her standing with constituents and has said the courts will decide the allegations. ``If I had one wish in life it would be to start over again on a clean slate, day one, and I'm asking for your help," she said.

None of the four candidates' names appeared on the primary ballot. Instead, voters had to write in the name and address of their preferred candidate or affix a sticker bearing that information. Then they had to fill in an oval space next to the name. The unusual process had some voters scratching their heads. ``It's very tedious," said John Maxfield , 55, of Jamaica Plain.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/09/20/wilkerson_declares_victory

The tax evaders ratings on gun control...

http://www.vote-smart.org/issue_rat...id=BS022698&type=category&category=Gun Issues

That does sound screwy! Like the fix is in.

Wonder why the candidates who got all of their 300 signatures on the ballot didn't have THEIR names on it.

I heard today on the radio that there is a signature recount on because it doesn't look like she got enough legitimate petition signatures to even get her name on the ballot !

She may be blowing her victory whistle a little early.

I find it unbelievable that both Wilkerson and Marie St. Fleur survived the primaries (and will, thus, most likely be reelected). It's goddamn embarassing to live in a city where such corrupt, theiving politicians get relected. How stupid are Bostonians? No, don't answer that...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/po...es/2006/09/26/more_money_woes_rock_wilkerson/
More money woes rock Wilkerson
Must pay $13,335 in back condo fees
By Donovan Slack, Globe Staff | September 26, 2006

Dianne Wilkerson, the veteran Roxbury senator whose tangled personal finances have become a public spectacle over the years, has more money troubles coming to light, this time for failing to pay condo fees on her Douglass Park home.

A Roxbury District Court judge, Michael Bolden, said yesterday that Wilkerson owes $13,335 to the Douglass Park Condominium Association and ordered her to pay it. Records in the case show the senator bounced more than $5,000 worth of checks in the past three years and has not submitted any of the required $466 monthly payments since September.

The ruling is the latest glimpse of Wilkerson's tumultuous personal finances, which include federal tax charges and threats of foreclosure for failing to make mortgage payments. The attorney general's office is investigating campaign donations and expenses related to a reelection effort.

It is also coming to light less than a week after she was declared the winner in a hard-fought campaign for the Democratic nomination to her Second Suffolk District seat. The race is being contested by her chief rival in the primary, Sonia Chang-Díaz, who has gathered enough signatures to force a recount.

The lawsuit was filed by the condominium association in March, but the case apparently languished for several months in Bolden's office as the campaign for Wilkerson's seat was waged.

Rather than making a ruling on the case after a June 27th hearing, in which Wilkerson did not appear or make a defense, Bolden took the case under advisement and kept the case file in his chambers. Until yesterday's decision, it was unavailable at the clerk's office.

The condo association's lawyer, Michael Pavloski, said it was odd that the judge did not decide in the association's favor immediately.

``When somebody defaults and doesn't show up, it usually happens in the courtroom," he said.

By the time of the June hearing, Wilkerson had declared she would run as a write-in candidate after failing to gather enough signatures before a May 2 deadline to be put on the primary ballot. On June 18, Chang-Díaz announced she would wage a sticker campaign to unseat Wilkerson.

Yesterday's ruling was perfunctory. Bolden said Wilkerson should pay ``after a hearing, review of the pleadings, and no opposition by the defendant."

Judge Edward R. Redd, the presiding justice of Roxbury District Court, said yesterday that a ruling on the case was delayed simply because the court has been overwhelmed with work and had nothing to do with the election.

``The only difficulty was it was in one of my judges' chambers," Redd said. ``Each judge works at a different pace."

A spokeswoman for Judge Charles Johnson, chief justice in the Boston Municipal Court system, said the judge could not immediately respond to questions about the delay.

Wilkerson's condo association has repeatedly sued the senator for nonpayment of the monthly condominium fees, according to court records. In April 2002, Wilkerson signed an agreement to pay, but soon fell behind again.

After she failed to pay fees from September 2002 through January 2003, the association sued for $2,500 in small claims court, Roxbury Division, saying, ``Plaintiff can see a pattern in defendant, and plaintiff would like to avoid using a lawyer."

The claim was dismissed in June 2003 when Wilkerson brought her account up to date. Over the next year, though, checks from Wilkerson totaling $5,174 were returned because of insufficient funds, court filings show.

Wilkerson purchased the 1,537-square-foot Douglass Park condo in 1993. The complex of four- and six-story red-brick buildings has a fitness center, landscaped courtyard, and 24-hour concierge service near the corner of Columbus and Massachusetts avenues in Roxbury.

The senator yesterday said she has moved out of the condo, is renting it out, and has embarked on a restructuring of her personal finances. ``I have done some pretty extraordinary things around a total reorganization of my personal financial situation," Wilkerson said. ``I'm really excited."

She said she disputes about $4,000 of the judgment and hopes to negotiate the debt.

Donovan Slack can be reached at [email protected].

© Copyright 2006 Globe Newspaper Company.

It might not be a matter of "how stupid are Bostonians" as it might be "how easily can the vote counters be bought?"

When the only qualification that voters care about is the color of your skin,
or the background of your ancestors, or what can you do for them personally,
that is the why they get the people they do. It's a corrupt system and the
people most responsible for the corruption are not the slimey pols, but the
electorate themselves. Those that vote and those that don't are equally
at fault and as a result people get the representation they deserve in the
end. So, the final conclusion: They got the person they wanted (and deserve).

TBP

She probably thinks that since she was under house arrest for the tax evasion shennanigans, that paying the condo fees should have been the responsibility of the tax payer.
I find it absolutely amazing that she could be re-elected given her past. How many times does one have to break laws and try to cheat the people they're supposed to represent before they finally get the boot? Maybe I'm getting old and cranky and more right-wing as each day passes, but it sure seems like the whole political system is worse today than even a few years ago.

I find it absolutely amazing that she could be re-elected given her past. How many times does one have to break laws and try to cheat the people they're supposed to represent before they finally get the boot? Maybe I'm getting old and cranky and more right-wing as each day passes, but it sure seems like the whole political system is worse today than even a few years ago.

Agreed. I am suffering the fools less gladly than ever before too.

Stay out of this city. It's a corrupt cesspool. Decent people should not come here or spend money here. When the time is right, I will be leaving.

Stay out of this city. It's a corrupt cesspool. Decent people should not come here or spend money here. When the time is right, I will be leaving.

It's sad really, when I" was younger and not paying attention, I really loved Boston for it's music, the garden, places to eat, art etc. Now there is this shadow of sh!thead politicians over it all.

Mighty convenient how the court sat on issuing the judgement against for her for $20K or so in unpaid condo fees until after the election - the hearing was well before the election. Natually, now that the court has issued a decision as to what she owes, she's stating that she intends to "negotiate" the amount and that she is doing something "exciting" with her personal finances.

Mighty convenient how the court sat on issuing the judgement against for her for $20K or so in unpaid condo fees until after the election - the hearing was well before the election. Natually, now that the court has issued a decision as to what she owes, she's stating that she intends to "negotiate" the amount and that she is doing something "exciting" with her personal finances.

Probably moving the money off-shore where nobody can touch it!

I told my Wife that I would have liked to be the Constable that evicts her ass! [You have to live in Meninostan to get appointed there, plus they charge something like $450 for the privilege of getting appointed . . . something that is totally illegal, but nobody cares!]

Back
Top Bottom