Anti-Gun "Science" (Sounds like Social Science to

Link...

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18925373.800

Excerpt (can't find full article on their web site)...

Gun-toting motorists more prone to road rage
03 February 2006
From New Scientist Print Edition

GUN lobbyists like to repeat the quote often attributed to American writer Robert Heinlein, that "an armed society is a polite society". But this is certainly not true for motorists.

A survey of 2400 drivers carried out by David Hemenway and his colleagues at the Harvard School of Public Health shows that motorists who carry guns in their cars are far more likely to indulge in road rage - driving aggressively or making obscene gestures - than motorists without guns. Some 23 per cent of gun-toting drivers admitted making rude signs, compared with 16 per cent of those who did not carry guns (Accident Analysis and Prevention, DOI:10.1016/j.aap.2005.12.014).

Gee, no bias there [roll]

Yet in some states it is easier than ever to own a gun and carry it a car. In the past two decades 23 states have eased restrictions on carrying guns, says researcher Mary Vriniotis. Police no longer have the right to ban someone they consider unsuitable from owning a gun. People now only have to pass background checks, such as the absence of criminal convictions.

First off, total ignorance and B/S. Secondly, I think the police should have the right to BAN you from conducting STUPID STUDIES!

“In some states it is easier than ever to own a gun and carry it in a car”"Our findings indicate that the people driving around with guns in their cars are not among the most responsible and best-behaved people on the road," says Vriniotis. "In the interests of injury and violence prevention, it probably makes more sense to tighten rather than relax restrictions on gun carrying in motor vehicles."

Please do a study on the driving habits or urban youth. Please do a driving study of illegal aliens.

I thought the mantra of the left was NOT TO PROFILE!

C-pher said:
Holy crap! [shock]

EVERYONE on 128 between the hours of 3-6 are armed. Because I see people honking, cutting people off, and fingers flying all the time.

LoL, based on this, everyone I see during commute has a Mini-gun or Ma Duce in the trunk, and I have squat, I feel discriminated :(

These lying sacks of feces.

"Some 23 per cent of gun-toting drivers admitted making rude signs, compared with 16 per cent of those who did not carry guns (Accident Analysis and Prevention, DOI:10.1016/j.aap.2005.12.014)."http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18925373.800

So, they go on to say that it should be harder to carry guns, not easier.

What does it tell me?

That Gun Owners were honest and non-gunowners are lying sacks of crap.
OR
That Gun Owners get p*ssed off at other drivers because we are paying attention and see how they almost kill us with their horrible driving and lack of attention. They don't notice how poorly everyone else is driving because they have their heads up their -----.

Mike
(I'm going to enjoy a beer tonight and calm down.... Maybe...((Maybe calm down, the beer is a guarentee)

Or that gun owners channel their emotions into non-violent outlets, such as flipping off another driver, while non-gun owners are veritable simmering cauldra of pent-up hate just waiting to explode into lethal killing sprees.

Ken

No, you can't profile if it makes sense. Like giving the old white woman a thorough search and letting 3 men in their early 20's who are of Middle Eastern descent who are acting weird through airport security.

Basically, if your white they are allowed to profile you, but if your a 'minority' they can't.

KMaurer said:
Or that gun owners channel their emotions into non-violent outlets, such as flipping off another driver, while non-gun owners are veritable simmering cauldra of pent-up hate just waiting to explode into lethal killing sprees.

Ken

Plus we head to the club after rush hour and kill the S - H - I - T out of some EVIL commie paper targets! 8)

Burnin up some ammo always makes me feel as happy and complacent as a clam!

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

John Lott has looked at some of the so-called analyses in the paper. While they make a big deal about the differences between gun owners and non-gun owners, they tend to gloss over the larger and more statistically significant difference between Liberals (more rage) and Conservatives (less rage). [Now there are two big surprises: both that Liberals are more full of rage, and that they don't dwell on that finding.] Hemenway is also balking at releasing the data for peer review, something that Lott and all other reputable researchers routinely do when (oreven before) their results are published. Hemengway, Kellermann and a lot of other so-called "researchers" whose results are routinely on the anti-gun side, rarely do. That tells you everything you need to know about the integrity of their work.

Ken

My wife and I are (hopefully) going to adopt through DSS. I was worried they would be so anti that they might insist that there be no guns in the house, period. Fortunately they only require they be legally stored. (duh)

But they did have a quote saying handguns are more likely to be used in a suicide than in self defense and therefore you are safer with no gun in the house...

Now, I don't have my gun yet, but I can only suppose that they are implying that handguns wisper suicidal notions to you untill you can no longer take it, causing you to blow out you brains.

Please let me know if this is true. If so, I'll buy a sound proof safe!

Matt

There probably IS some tuth to that one.....but I had a friend who ended her life with Tylonol, and one friend who nearly died fron self-inflicted razor wounds.

Suicide is a very sad thing, and here in the US a gun is the #1 choice....but if number 1 isn't around, #2 will be used.

Best just to be there for your children and talk to them about thier feelings, and seek help if any warning signs appear.

If you think your child may be suicidal, maybe movig the guns to a "safehouse" might be a good idea, but I wouldn't give it too much worry otherwise.

-Weer'd Beard

Whenever they start spouting BS about guns and suicide, I've got just one word --- Japan. BTW, you need to remember that by their definition, the only defensive or crime prevention use of a gun that counts is one that results in a dead body. By that criteria, our police don't seem to be using their guns worth shit. The police in our town haven't managed to kill anybody in years!

Ken

Back
Top Bottom