Anthony Bourdain on guns.

A lot of people here are commenting about his sentences on the guns vs driving. I watch his show a decent amount, because i'm a ****ing fat kid. So, reading it the way he would normally narrate his show, I didn't really see it as him saying we should be reasonable about shit like background checks. To me at least, it came off as him comparing the two arguements as the bullshit that they are. I'd also love to know all those things about every driver on the road, but there is no way to know that and america (hopefully) would lose it's shit if laws were passed that required the types of background checks gun owners go through along with the proposed mental health checks in order to get a drivers license.

Basically I read it as him saying "I want to know if everyone else in america with a gun is crazy, but looking at the next most licensed thing, it can't be done"

IMHO

Bourdain is the best thing on TV.

Yes, he's a classic elitist NY liberal BUT, the guy loves to shoot guns (See his visit to Ted Nugent's ranch, New Mexico, shooting in Greece) and he's good at it.

He is intelligent, the show is intelligent. There is such minimal intelligence on TV, I thoroughly enjoy his style, intellect, self-deprecating humor and understanding of the medium.

Sometimes you got to give some libs a break. At least that's the way I feel about it.

I expect to be flamed on this from the cretins and........

I couldn't care less[wink]

PS I have more respect for a "Liberal" like Bourdain than a hack pseudo-conservative like Howie Carr who I personally invited to come to the range with me and he laughed at me and walked away.

Last edited:
News Shooter, you beat me to it! Bourdain is good buds with Ted Nugent and you could tell he really enjoyed shooting with Ted on his ranch. They went wild with a full auto shoot. I think there's hope for Bourdain yet!

I like how he at least recognizes that the "us" vs. "them" mentality (often seen even here on the forum... or even this thread for that matter) is the biggest problem in the US right now. Whether its firearms, economy, health care, etc. no one is willing to even listen / negotiate with the "other side." Its sad really because one has to understand both sides of the argument before one can make an informed decision on anything. Bourdain at the minimum presents a platform for desicussion.

p.s. sorry for all the quotations

I like how he at least recognizes that the "us" vs. "them" mentality (often seen even here on the forum... or even this thread for that matter) is the biggest problem in the US right now. Whether its firearms, economy, health care, etc. no one is willing to even listen / negotiate with the "other side." Its sad really because one has to understand both sides of the argument before one can make an informed decision on anything. Bourdain at the minimum presents a platform for desicussion.

p.s. sorry for all the quotations

When it's a 50/50 arrangement (they take 50, and demand the other 50) it's not a discussion.

It sounds like his position on "reasonable gun control" probably leaves some to be desired, but I thought this part was pretty true:

The conversation so far has illuminated, instead of any substantial issues, mostly the huge cultural divide between those like me who live in coastal cities with restrictive gun laws—and that vast swath of America who live very differently. We don’t understand how they live. And they don’t understand how we could POSSIBLY live the way we live. A little respect for that difference might be a good thing. The contempt, mockery and total lack of understanding for all those people “out there” by deep thinkers and pundits who’ve never sat down for a cold beer in a bar full of camo-wearing duck hunters is both despicable and counterproductive. We are too busy expressing disbelief at the ways others have chosen to live to ever really talk about the nuts and bolts of making America safer and less violent.

I like No Reservations and I like Bourdain. I saw his standup act in Springfield last year and he was a riot. He took a lot of shit from liberal anti-gun DB's after his show w/Uncle Ted and he didn't give a shit. He visits cool places and rubs elbows w/everyone from Uber Chefs to knuckleheads. He eats 4 star meals and street food in back alleys. For a NY liberal he's OK.

Back
Top Bottom