• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anthony Bourdain on guns.

Nice article, I always thought of him as a leftist elite jerk. still do, but there may be hope for him yet.

Very good article. How I take it is simple:

I don't give a rats ass about how the coastal city dwelling left winger lives and don't plan to tell him how to live......so give me the same respect.

Do you all agree?

I think that once people are exposed to more peoples views and the people that hold them they can understand those points of view. When a bunch of like minded people get together and just repeat the same POV back to each other it just reenforces that they're "right". He got out and met people that own guns, found them to be good people. Shot and liked the experience. If more anitgun people did this I think that their opinions would change to be more understanding of what gun ownership is all about and how the laws actually work.

Very good article. How I take it is simple:

I don't give a rats ass about how the coastal city dwelling left winger lives and don't plan to tell him how to live......so give me the same respect.

Do you all agree?

The mostly represents the article, except where he equates gun ownership to a drivers license... Driving isn't guaranteed by the constitution, owning and bearing arms is.

He's taking a middle of the road stance, while subliminally supporting background checks.

This is the paragraph where he talks out of both sides of his mouth and shows that he is full of shit. He is just making happy talk to keep his following, What little he has. I can't stand this ******* and when his show comes on if I am watching the TV the channel gets changed or TV gets shut off.

This shows that he wants controls on firearms ownership.

"You, however, I’m not so sure about. And my next door neighbor. I’m not so sure about him either. I’d like to know a bit more about him before he takes possession of an M-16 and a whole lot of extra clips. If we accept the proposition that that a gun is simply a tool—with potentially lethal properties—it follows that it’s not too different than a vehicle. And I would like to know a LOT more about you before I’m comfortable putting you behind the wheel of a sixteen wheeler. I’d like to know if you’re a maniacal drunk or crackhead before allowing you to barrel down that highway with three tons of trailer swinging behind you. If you favor an aluminum foil hat as headgear, I would have concerns about entrusting you with so much power to harm so many in so little time. That’s a reasonable thing for a society to ponder on, I think."

This.

Ultimately, I think he's just thinks they need to go about gun confiscation in a "different" way. Lol.

-JR

This is the paragraph where he talks out of both sides of his mouth and shows that he is full of shit. He is just making happy talk to keep his following, What little he has. I can't stand this ******* and when his show comes on if I am watching the TV the channel gets changed or TV gets shut off.

"You, however, I’m not so sure about. And my next door neighbor. I’m not so sure about him either. I’d like to know a bit more about him before he takes possession of an M-16 and a whole lot of extra clips. If we accept the proposition that that a gun is simply a tool—with potentially lethal properties—it follows that it’s not too different than a vehicle. And I would like to know a LOT more about you before I’m comfortable putting you behind the wheel of a sixteen wheeler. I’d like to know if you’re a maniacal drunk or crackhead before allowing you to barrel down that highway with three tons of trailer swinging behind you. If you favor an aluminum foil hat as headgear, I would have concerns about entrusting you with so much power to harm so many in so little time. That’s a reasonable thing for a society to ponder on, I think."

Yeah, that was where I rolled my eyes. Honestly I love the show and he's free to believe anything he wants. He's extremely liberal so I'm not too surprised at the M-16/Clip talk, that's just the gun grabbers having too much influence on him [laugh].

Gun culture goes DEEP in this country. Deep. A whole hell of a lot of people I’ve met remember Daddy giving them their first rifle as early as age six—and that kind of bonding—that first walk through the early morning woods with your Dad—that’s deep tissue stuff. When people start equating guns—ALL guns—as evil—as something to be eradicated, a whole helluva lot of people are going to get defensive.

Tim [thumbsup]

I was going to quote this same paragraph. This is indicative of the typical leftist, rights are OK as long as they get a say in who can exercise them; and then he throws in the BS analogy to driving to back his argument.

Last edited:
no one should have high cap mags, or semi auto guns*
* except me [smile] superior firepower through legisation.

A very interesting not-what-you'd-think point of view on guns in America from a liberal.
Anthony Bourdain, GUNS AND GREEN CHILE

-JR

Funny... but good stuff.

I like shooting them. I like holding their sleek, heavy, deadly weight in my hands. I like shooting at targets: cans, paper cut-outs, and—even though I’m not a hunter—the occasional animal. Though I do not own a gun—I would, if I lived in a rural area like, say…Montana—consider owning one. Whatever my feelings about gun regulation—and my worries, as a father, about what kind of world my daughter will have to live in, I think I should have as many guns as I like. Even Ted Nugent should have guns. He likes them a lot. They make him happy—and as offensive as I may find a lot of what comes out of his mouth, I’m pretty sure, based on first hand experience, that he’s a responsible gun owner.

You, however, I’m not so sure about. And my next door neighbor. I’m not so sure about him either. I’d like to know a bit more about him before he takes possession of an M-16 and a whole lot of extra clips. If we accept the proposition that that a gun is simply a tool—with potentially lethal properties—it follows that it’s not too different than a vehicle. And I would like to know a LOT more about you before I’m comfortable putting you behind the wheel of a sixteen wheeler. I’d like to know if you’re a maniacal drunk or crackhead before allowing you to barrel down that highway with three tons of trailer swinging behind you. If you favor an aluminum foil hat as headgear, I would have concerns about entrusting you with so much power to harm so many in so little time. That’s a reasonable thing for a society to ponder on, I think.

Any one see him , when he got stuck in the Middle East ? Him and a few others where under lock down in a hotel. Figure after that he would never want to feel defenseless .

I like his show and I like him more .

Last edited:
A very interesting not-what-you'd-think point of view on guns in America from a liberal.
Anthony Bourdain, GUNS AND GREEN CHILE

-JR

It was an interesting read. He gets it enough that you could have a conversation with him about it, seemingly. Which is very unlike the experience talking to people around here in Mass. I have some very intelligent friends who amaze me with the mis-information they parrot back about guns and gun laws and their preconceived notions about people that hunt, shoot and collect firearms.

Sometimes I like his show, other times I can't stand his show, but after reading the article I at least respect him for at least understanding us a little bit.

Last edited:
I was just about to paste that section in and make a very similar statement. My comment is that there is no right in the Constitution to have a drivers license, but there certainly is one about having firearms. It's a well written piece of BS meant to lull us into thinking that he and his ilk are reasonable. They aren't and they won't stop until they either have all of our guns or are defeated in the courts and legislatures.

I can't believe that anyone here would think otherwise.

As Churchill said,

“Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Or as Stalin said in "Order 227"

Ни шагу назад!

Prior to this thread being started, I did not care one bit about Anthony Bourdain's views on my Constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

I still don't.

Interesting point he makes in that this country is extremely polarized nowadays.

It used to not be that way...the first century of the nation's existence was all about compromise and the understanding that it's ok to agree to disagree.

...as long as the disagreement was within the confines if the Constitutional framework.

That hasn't been the case lately.

Back
Top Bottom