Antenna Tower

TC McQuade

NES Member
I have some antenna towers in use:
Rohn 45 tower
Rohn solid SSV 2W 20 foot sections and SSV 1W 10 foot section

I'm looking for a third tower and someone is selling 40' (pictured below) Flat uprights (ignore the tubular Rhon 25 stuff) it really does not look that strong compared to the Rohn towers.

Is there anyone on here that knows a little about the type of tower's specs, Make, Model, additional sections availability, and durability.
I really think I want to stick with the Rohn stock but this stuff is available on CL now. I don't think I'd trust the stuff for sale with all the rust; I'm curious what this stuff is all about...

upload_2019-6-30_18-21-4.png

I ended up buying the tower a few weeks ago. He had lowered the price to $75.00 in the ad and I went to look at it he told me that if I gave him $50.00 cash I could have it so I bought it and he threw in the section of Rohn 25 that was in the pile with it.

It turned out to be a solid telescopic tower with 5 - 10 foot sections that store inside each other. It has a very heavy tilting base that's about 24" - 30" wide with the top of the tower about 10" it included a 15 foot pole on the top making it a 55 foot tower after considering the overlap at each section and the the top mast extending 5 feet into the tower.

I'm not going to put it up for a while and I'm actually thinking that I'll mount it on a trailer and make it portable for field days and whatever. I'm pretty sure I could mount a rotator on the tower but that might make it too heavy to tilt up and raise on a trailer. The overall weight of the tower as it sits is about 400 pounds.

I've got to take some time and just play with it. When I have a minute I will take some pictures and post them here.

I could imagine something like this but not as heavy with a much bigger trailer and considerably larger outriggers.

bensalem37b.jpg

A tower trailer built from a kit

Last edited:
5B8AC038-DE9B-4654-BEBA-B5B760C867D5.jpeg

Make sure you get a good ground plane with that tower.
The ground plane is sometimes harder to get right than the tower.
I’ve seen GP’s with well over 100 wires. Do some antenna book
reading about ground planes. It’s tough to get them right.

If your GP ends up looking anything like the one in the photo
you’ll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom