Antenna For ICOM R71A Receiver???

Hi,
I have an older ICOM R71A Receiver that I'm sending in to get completely rebuilt.

I'm now trying to research information on the most trouble free/economical/ easily installed antenna I can set up for it.

This is just a receiver as I like to listen to Hams talking while working in my workshop.

Any ideas, is appreciated!
ooooooo.jpeg

Are you sending it to ICOM? What does that cost? I have one that I haven't used for years that I was thinking maybe I'd sell and it might be good to have this done first.

Thanks

How much land/space you got for an antenna? You could use a basic dipole or long wire antenna and get decent reception above the noise. I think it has two antenna connections on the back, terminal and coax? Looks like a fun radio.

If you are restricted in space MFJ, Comet and Diamond make compact discone receiver/scanner antennas you put up on a basic mast.

Hi,
Thanks, I'll check those out!
I got the radio practially free so don't mind spending some money on it to get it up to speed.
Heard good things about this Gentleman and he says he will be taking on new work in June so waiting to get in line.
Here is a link, wish I could fix it myself but electronics was never my hobby, just like to listen in to the other guys!

Hi,
Oh yea, does it help to put in your own ground rods if you just go with a dipole or long wire?
I just have a back yard butting up to a canal (Florida)
Uh, ICOM won't work on this radio now so you have to go with a private tech, I expect about $350 or so to get it completly gone through with the RAM upgrade, we shall see?

If you've got a backyard then a longwire or dipole would work fine for you, but you are in the lightning capital of the world so I would definitely ground everything and have a lightning arrester inline too.

Hi,
I have an older ICOM R71A Receiver that I'm sending in to get completely rebuilt.

I'm now trying to research information on the most trouble free/economical/ easily installed antenna I can set up for it.

This is just a receiver as I like to listen to Hams talking while working in my workshop.

Any ideas, is appreciated!
View attachment 359232
You would really have to love this receiver to get it rebuild. It's a nice rig but there are less costly options. I would have to say putting up a dipole with a long wire is your best bet. Picking up digital like PSK should be easy.

It is interesting to hear why the rebuild is necessary.

For an antenna, You may want to consider the long wire antenna as previously suggested and a search ebay... qth classifieds for a longwire or 'QRP' antenna tuner.
You may be able to pick up a good, working radio for less than that repair cost on classifieds, too.

There is a huge ham radio operator population in Florida. A local ham radio club may be a big help for you.

Hi,
Thanks for the info, yea a lot of lightning here.
I have nothing in the radio and anything of good as quality is going to be twice as much as fixing this or more.
I'm getting it rebuilt because it does not work and maybe unrepairable, I don't know, will have to see what the Tech says?
Hopefully, I can get it fixed for about $350 and have a nice radio to listen too.
This ICOM does have a very good reputation, I just want it reliable and I'm sure after 30 years probably needs some caps and cleaning.

Those boxes are old, but I am betting he is getting it recapped or something so it is still useful. They are cool looking and its easy to have secret lust for things like 71As, Icom 751A, etc.

-Mike
I have a 751 (not A) and while it’s “vintage”, the receiver is amazing. I’ll probably regret it later but I will probably be selling it in the not too distant future. I have to fix a couple small things on it and then it’ll most likely be hitting the block.

Hi,
Well, I double boxed my radio and sent it in to be repaired.

Have been working on the ground rod and antenna.

Built a 20 meter dipole using wire I had and some plumbing parts from HD.

Made the insulators out of some thick hard plastic I already had.

The ground rod was 8 ft copper covered steel.

Hopefully with the ground and a real 20 meter Dipole I can pick up something.

Here is a pic of the style Dipole I built not wanting to pay for a commercial one.

This of course will be used with a 50 OHM Co-Ax cable.
71+xpaSVE4L._AC_SL1024_.jpg

Hi,
Well, I double boxed my radio and sent it in to be repaired.

Have been working on the ground rod and antenna.

Built a 20 meter dipole using wire I had and some plumbing parts from HD.

Made the insulators out of some thick hard plastic I already had.

The ground rod was 8 ft copper covered steel.

Hopefully with the ground and a real 20 meter Dipole I can pick up something.

Here is a pic of the style Dipole I built not wanting to pay for a commercial one.

This of course will be used with a 50 OHM Co-Ax cable.
View attachment 372073
Keep us updated on the return

Hi,
Well, my radio finally made it on the bench.
Does not sound to bad from the Tech, no real high dollar parts needed, just labor to clean everything.
Here is what he told me, hopefully I will have a nice radio when I get it back.
I have a pretty good 20 meter antenna and ground system waiting for it ready to go anyway!

The unit would not power up as it needs a dummy plug in the dc socket on the back of the radio with a jumper. I made up a jumper plug but the units backup battery went dead and it lost its mind. It is volatile ram. I ordered a new ram board with non volatile ram so if the battery should go bad again you only lose your memories not the radio parameters. I did get lucky and a local customer came late to get his R71 so I was able to steal his ram board and check the radio out real quick. It appears I will just need to pull the front panel apart to remove and clean the main encoder (it skips and jumps in freq) as well as clean all the other pots and switches as they are all very intermittent and the meter lamp is out. The unit needs a alignment as well but I think that should do it, no other high dollar parts. I ordered the new board, it was $115 with shipping. I will get right back on the radio when the board arrives.

That is great. Here is a receive only antenna example that would need some electronics assembly- but they are reported to work well.
If you put up a pair, you can cover 4 directions.
K9AY Loop;

If you have the room, you can erect a 'Beverage' receive antenna- they are 300-1000' long and 8-12' off the ground in a straight line.

It looks like the guy hooked you up with the repair. Doesn't sound bad. 115$ for the part... couple hours labor, I'm sure.... nice an clean.

Congrats and enjoy!

uj

Hi,
Thanks for the info, with shipping, I'm sure the repairs will reach close to $400, but...

At least then I know what I've got under the hood, and should have one of the best receivers you can own?

I've got a real antenna, with a real ground wire, ready to go, so we will see what she can do, when I get her back!

Hi,
Well, my radio finally made it on the bench.
Does not sound to bad from the Tech, no real high dollar parts needed, just labor to clean everything.
Here is what he told me, hopefully I will have a nice radio when I get it back.
I have a pretty good 20 meter antenna and ground system waiting for it ready to go anyway!

The unit would not power up as it needs a dummy plug in the dc socket on the back of the radio with a jumper. I made up a jumper plug but the units backup battery went dead and it lost its mind. It is volatile ram. I ordered a new ram board with non volatile ram so if the battery should go bad again you only lose your memories not the radio parameters. I did get lucky and a local customer came late to get his R71 so I was able to steal his ram board and check the radio out real quick. It appears I will just need to pull the front panel apart to remove and clean the main encoder (it skips and jumps in freq) as well as clean all the other pots and switches as they are all very intermittent and the meter lamp is out. The unit needs a alignment as well but I think that should do it, no other high dollar parts. I ordered the new board, it was $115 with shipping. I will get right back on the radio when the board arrives.
That's great news.

Hi,
Well, my radio is done, here is the message from the Tech.

With shipping included, I'm about $425 all in on this radio, but I think it is worth it to have a "real" radio!!!

What do you guys think???

Your receiver is ready to go home. I made a dc jumper plug for the unit to work on the internal power supply. Replaced the ram board with a new willco electronics board. Replaced the s-meter lamp. I removed the front panel to gain access and removed and cleaned the intermittent main encoder as well all the pots and switches. I gave her a full alignment. I burned it in for 24 hours and retested all functions, she works as new. Parts $122, shop fee $5, labor $200, and shipping $50 for a total of $377. I can send a paypal invoice if all sounds good.

Hi,
Well, my radio is done, here is the message from the Tech.

With shipping included, I'm about $425 all in on this radio, but I think it is worth it to have a "real" radio!!!

What do you guys think???

Your receiver is ready to go home. I made a dc jumper plug for the unit to work on the internal power supply. Replaced the ram board with a new willco electronics board. Replaced the s-meter lamp. I removed the front panel to gain access and removed and cleaned the intermittent main encoder as well all the pots and switches. I gave her a full alignment. I burned it in for 24 hours and retested all functions, she works as new. Parts $122, shop fee $5, labor $200, and shipping $50 for a total of $377. I can send a paypal invoice if all sounds good.
I really think it's what you like and satisfied with. Good luck with it and enjoy.

I really think it's what you like and satisfied with. Good luck with it and enjoy.

Hi,
Thanks, you have a good point there, I like the older stuff and for around $400 into it, it's worth it to me.

I would probably spend that much (or more) on anything new today, that would be in the same league of receiver?

You’d spend at least $400, if not several hundred dollars more. Great to hear it’s fixed. Looking forward to your thoughts when you get it back up and running.

You’d spend at least $400, if not several hundred dollars more. Great to hear it’s fixed. Looking forward to your thoughts when you get it back up and running.

Hi,
Thanks I will do that, hopefully have it running by the end of the week.

I spent the money, and put in the work, to get a real antenna and ground set up for it.

I like to hear the Hams talk on 20 Meters, while I work in my shop.

We shall see?

Hi,
Thanks I will do that, hopefully have it running by the end of the week.

I spent the money, and put in the work, to get a real antenna and ground set up for it.

I like to hear the Hams talk on 20 Meters, while I work in my shop.

We shall see?
Since your not transmitting for the time being just run a long wire.

Back
Top Bottom