Antenna For ICOM R71A Receiver???

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have an older ICOM R71A Receiver that I'm sending in to get completely rebuilt.

I'm now trying to research information on the most trouble free/economical/ easily installed antenna I can set up for it.

This is just a receiver as I like to listen to Hams talking while working in my workshop.

Any ideas, is appreciated!
ooooooo.jpeg

jpm

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Are you sending it to ICOM? What does that cost? I have one that I haven't used for years that I was thinking maybe I'd sell and it might be good to have this done first.

Thanks

mcb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
How much land/space you got for an antenna? You could use a basic dipole or long wire antenna and get decent reception above the noise. I think it has two antenna connections on the back, terminal and coax? Looks like a fun radio.

If you are restricted in space MFJ, Comet and Diamond make compact discone receiver/scanner antennas you put up on a basic mast.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Thanks, I'll check those out!
I got the radio practially free so don't mind spending some money on it to get it up to speed.
Heard good things about this Gentleman and he says he will be taking on new work in June so waiting to get in line.
Here is a link, wish I could fix it myself but electronics was never my hobby, just like to listen in to the other guys!

Reactions: jpm
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Oh yea, does it help to put in your own ground rods if you just go with a dipole or long wire?
I just have a back yard butting up to a canal (Florida)
Uh, ICOM won't work on this radio now so you have to go with a private tech, I expect about $350 or so to get it completly gone through with the RAM upgrade, we shall see?

jpm

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
If you've got a backyard then a longwire or dipole would work fine for you, but you are in the lightning capital of the world so I would definitely ground everything and have a lightning arrester inline too.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have an older ICOM R71A Receiver that I'm sending in to get completely rebuilt.

I'm now trying to research information on the most trouble free/economical/ easily installed antenna I can set up for it.

This is just a receiver as I like to listen to Hams talking while working in my workshop.

Any ideas, is appreciated!
View attachment 359232
You would really have to love this receiver to get it rebuild. It's a nice rig but there are less costly options. I would have to say putting up a dipole with a long wire is your best bet. Picking up digital like PSK should be easy.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
What is functionally wrong with the receiver that requires it be, “Completely rebuilt”?

🐯
Those boxes are old, but I am betting he is getting it recapped or something so it is still useful. They are cool looking and its easy to have secret lust for things like 71As, Icom 751A, etc.

-Mike

w1ujay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It is interesting to hear why the rebuild is necessary.

For an antenna, You may want to consider the long wire antenna as previously suggested and a search ebay... qth classifieds for a longwire or 'QRP' antenna tuner.
You may be able to pick up a good, working radio for less than that repair cost on classifieds, too.

There is a huge ham radio operator population in Florida. A local ham radio club may be a big help for you.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Thanks for the info, yea a lot of lightning here.
I have nothing in the radio and anything of good as quality is going to be twice as much as fixing this or more.
I'm getting it rebuilt because it does not work and maybe unrepairable, I don't know, will have to see what the Tech says?
Hopefully, I can get it fixed for about $350 and have a nice radio to listen too.
This ICOM does have a very good reputation, I just want it reliable and I'm sure after 30 years probably needs some caps and cleaning.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Those boxes are old, but I am betting he is getting it recapped or something so it is still useful. They are cool looking and its easy to have secret lust for things like 71As, Icom 751A, etc.

-Mike
I have a 751 (not A) and while it’s “vintage”, the receiver is amazing. I’ll probably regret it later but I will probably be selling it in the not too distant future. I have to fix a couple small things on it and then it’ll most likely be hitting the block.

Top Bottom