• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another "What should I buy" thread

Matt2109

NES Life Member
NES Member
I recently received my 30 year bonus at work. It had been earmarked to go towards my first AR. However Queen Maura made her directive 2 weeks before I received the bonus, so I guess that ship has sailed.

I am reasonably sure that Hillary will be our next president, so am thinking I should spend the $650 on something that I may or not be able to get after Nov 8. My gun wish list (not including an AR) is currently a full size 9mm for the range, and a shotty as another option for home defense, neither of which, I think will be a problem acquiring even with the upcoming environment.

Should I buy
A nice 9mm handgun
A lower cost 9mm and a shotgun
More 22 and 9mm ammo
More 22 more 9mm and more Mosin ammo
or
not worry about the upcoming election and buy snow tires that I need for the truck

Lets hear NES opinions??????

If you want an AR just grab a Ruger mini 14 or mini 30. It's basically the same thing and you can get pre ban mags.
more ammo is alway an option as well.

Save some more cash and buy a pre-ban AR..... Then buy lots of 556

oh, and Congrates on 30 years.... That's awesome

Im confused. If your looking for something you may or may not be able to get after the election why not look at something along the lines of a Ruger mini 10/30, Tavor, PS90, Aug. Most of those would be out of your range but the rugers can be found for close to that.

Tavor. They are for sale at stores in massachusetts currently. Who knows for how much longer..

If you have the hardware already, the best thing to do is either buy cartridges or if you reload, get primers, powder, brass, projectiles...if Hillary gets the nod, they will be worth their weight in gold

AR now..9mm and shottie later.

I want an AR too much having trouble convincing the wife. So my next purchase will be a shotgun

I have been squirrelling away buckshot for some time now. It is the last to get permanently banned as it is also used in FUDD guns. At a $1 a round off the shelf it is expensive but it can add up quick. Having several good pump guns stored away also muy Bueno.

If you want an AR just grab a Ruger mini 14 or mini 30. It's basically the same thing and you can get pre ban mags.
more ammo is alway an option as well.

Will look more at the mini 14......

- - - Updated - - -

Save some more cash and buy a pre-ban AR..... Then buy lots of 556

oh, and Congrates on 30 years.... That's awesome

Good point on the pre-ban, and that is a consideration, but need more cash and this bonus is an AMEX card so must be spent at a retailer. and Thanks 30 years is TOOOO loooooong!

- - - Updated - - -

Buy an ar.

Not that simple now in Mass

- - - Updated - - -

Tavor. They are for sale at stores in massachusetts currently. Who knows for how much longer..

Are the Tavors cool enough to get over how ugly they are?!?!?!?!? Never really looked into them but will

- - - Updated - - -

Good point on the pre-ban, and that is a consideration, but need more cash and this bonus is an AMEX card so must be spent at a retailer. and Thanks 30 years is TOOOO loooooong!

- - - Updated - - -

Not that simple now in Mass

I own a Mini-30......Not a bad short range ~100 yds max, and very dependable. Mine even lives purely off steel Rooskie surplus ammo which is unheard of. Its a keeper.

If you have the hardware already, the best thing to do is either buy cartridges or if you reload, get primers, powder, brass, projectiles...if Hillary gets the nod, they will be worth their weight in gold

Yes, as you and others have said, I don't think I can go wrong buying ammo, but do have quite a bit in stock[smile]

AR now..9mm and shottie later.

I want an AR too much having trouble convincing the wife. So my next purchase will be a shotgun
Yeah and if it is a simple pump that is low on the list of becoming unavailable. You will be able to get a Mossberg 500 or a 870 next year, almost guaranteed.

However if you want a shotgun now there should be room in the budget for a gun and several hundred rounds.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Are the Tavors cool enough to get over how ugly they are?!?!?!?!? Never really looked into them but will

Look into the Tavor Or the FN PS90. I know some shops carry them and their price tag is a bit lower then the tavor at around $1300. Plus they make an awesome SBR platform.

I have been squirrelling away buckshot for some time now. It is the last to get permanently banned as it is also used in FUDD guns. At a $1 a round off the shelf it is expensive but it can add up quick. Having several good pump guns stored away also muy Bueno.

This is sound advice.

Wal-Mart has some 12g buck for 12 bucks for a box of 25. It's low brass 2 3/4" but for the cost and how easy it is to buy a lot of it you can't go wrong and its never failed me.

Op i think it comes down to the normal three, a decent 9mm ( Glock or M&P ), a mid Level rifle ( SKS or Mini 14 ) and a good Pump Shotgun ( 870 or Mos 500 ). All that can be had for under 1300 Dollars.

Jason.

Tavors are ugly but I've learned to accept it . Get one while you can!! Mine IS FDE

This is sound advice.

Wal-Mart has some 12g buck for 12 bucks for a box of 25. It's low brass 2 3/4" but for the cost and how easy it is to buy a lot of it you can't go wrong and its never failed me.

Op i think it comes down to the normal three, a decent 9mm ( Glock or M&P ), a mid Level rifle ( SKS or Mini 14 ) and a good Pump Shotgun ( 870 or Mos 500 ). All that can be had for under 1300 Dollars.

Jason.

Like a Chinese menu, I think you may be in the Pick 2 land.

Decent glock at inflated Mass prices is $600 - $700 on a 17 and gives you decent options on pre-ban mags. Moss 500 and Rem 870 can be had for under $500 if you stay lower. I just jumped on a IAC 982T for $200 - it is a Rem 870 Express knock-off, but seems very serviceable from reviews I have seen.

So you could, with a little searching get both a glock or M&P and a Moss or Rem for under $1300 combined. The Mini I think will eat up most of your budget.

Dicks sporting goods has a Mossberg 500 combo with 28" ported bird barrel and a 24" rifled slug barrel for $350. With the extra $300 you could buy 1000 rounds of birdshot and 250 rounds of cheap buck shot.

Like a Chinese menu, I think you may be in the Pick 2 land.

Decent glock at inflated Mass prices is $600 - $700 on a 17 and gives you decent options on pre-ban mags. Moss 500 and Rem 870 can be had for under $500 if you stay lower. I just jumped on a IAC 982T for $200 - it is a Rem 870 Express knock-off, but seems very serviceable from reviews I have seen.

So you could, with a little searching get both a glock or M&P and a Moss or Rem for under $1300 combined. The Mini I think will eat up most of your budget.

Used M&P are in the 450.00 550 Range, I picked up a used mos 500 a few weeks back for 125.00, add a 18" barrel add another 100.00. so that's 675.00 575. 00 for a used SKS, which are in the 450 area. So it leaves a few hundred left for add on's or ammo.

Jason.

I think I am going to look for a mini 14 right now, based on the recommendation you guys made, it looks like the closest I can come to an AR for now. Then save my money for a Pre-Pre-ban AR. I actually have an Uncle that want(ed) to give me a great deal on a very nice Colt before Queen Healey pulled her stunt. He in now nervous about selling it to me, but it will work out in time......

And, thanks to a PM I am in on the IAC 982 group buy!!! Looks like a good way to get a cheap reliable home defense shotgun!!

how about a M1 garand or a M1a ?
personally if you don't reload now buy a reloader and enough powder and primers bullets to last a few years with your current guns?

Back
Top Bottom