Another "what should I build" thread - AR15

I have some bonus money coming, and have decided to spend it on building an AR.
I could buy an M&P Sport II, or very nearly so, with this bonus but don't want to throw away any bits before I have what I want.

I'd prefer non-TactiCool™ since I'm mostly interested in accuracy, so at least a bull barrel (or even match barrel.)
What barrel, lower, upper, LPK (or LPK and match trigger) etc?

FWIW, I have two polymer lowers that have never been built, I expect those will eventually get used for pistol caliber builds.

I had a 18" FN barrel free float keymod tube upper built for me at North East Arms. Quite happy with it.

I'm looking at Micro Moa or White Oak for an upper for my first build. Both should get sub moa with match ammo. I'll also get the Geissele hi speed match trigger

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

What caliber do you want to go with? What distances are you going to be shooting at? You can build a relatively inexpensive shooter in 223 Wylde, if you're limiting your shooting to <500 yards or so. White Oak armory's stuff has a fantastic and well-deserved reputation. If you want to build everything yourself, including the upper, there are several different choices out there for great quality barrels. The bad news is that if you're trying to build a target-ish rifle, the cost of an M&P Sport 2 won't even cover a good upper.

What caliber do you want to go with? What distances are you going to be shooting at? You can build a relatively inexpensive shooter in 223 Wylde, if you're limiting your shooting to <500 yards or so. White Oak armory's stuff has a fantastic and well-deserved reputation. If you want to build everything yourself, including the upper, there are several different choices out there for great quality barrels. The bad news is that if you're trying to build a target-ish rifle, the cost of an M&P Sport 2 won't even cover a good upper.

That's what I was afraid of.
I was looking at various options at one LGS, and my taste definitely trends more toward the $1600 price point than the $600is dollar end! [crying]

I'd be inclined to go .223 rather than 5.56, as I already load for 223 in my Remmie 700. No need to load to NATO levels.

Last edited:
Larue stealth barrel any length for $225 and their MBT trigger for $125, if you're looking for accuracy.

Smokin price for what your getting, barrels are in stock and the triggers at that price you should have in three weeks.

I'm looking at Micro Moa or White Oak for an upper for my first build. Both should get sub moa with match ammo. I'll also get the Geissele hi speed match trigger

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My white oak 20" 223 wylde would shoot dime sized 5 shot groups if I did my part with custom loads. Down side is it lost it after around 3k rounds. It's still an moa gun though. For the price of them though, I'd still say it's worth it, I'll replace it with another white oak.

That's what I was afraid of.
I was looking at various options at one LGS, and my taste definitely trends more toward the $1600 price point than the $600is dollar end! [crying]

I'd be inclined to go .223 rather than 5.56, as I already load for 223 in my Remmie 700. No need to load to NATO levels.

If your going to load for it lean on known manufactures of quality accurate barrels.
I have a few Wilson Arms barrels 2 from RRA. Also have a CLE 18" heavy bull both shoot sub moa with nosler 77 custom comp loads from the bench. I personally on a good day shoot sub 3moa with Irons with out the help of the bench/rest. Once past 300 yards my lack of reading wind really kill my scores.
Any how I can't be more happy with my RRA NM A2 for the money it's been a great gun. I bought mine in 2010 and I could not build that rifle for much less once you add in any shipping.
PM sent on RRA ,LMT options.

Also keep in mind any rules of any competitive shooting you might do.?

Last edited:
A Compass Lake Engineering (CLE) barrel or upper will compete head to head with White Oak for a little less $. Also check out Ballistic Advantage Premium Series barrels- great value and outstanding accuracy.

Start with a great barrel and good quality bolt. Next a great trigger. After that just pick what catches your eye.

White oak makes uppers with heavy bull barrels in whatever length you want. I got the 26" one with the 1:8 twist rate and the thing is a sweet shooter. With these barrels it helps to get the A2 stock so you can fill the cavity in it with a counterweight (e: now they make a weight to go in the UBR stock as well so that is another option if you want a shorter length of pull, although I'm short and A2 works ok for me).

H39m6h4.jpg

White oak or rock river LPKs are both fine, I put the geiselle SSA-E in this thing.

Last edited:
White oak makes uppers with heavy bull barrels in whatever length you want. I got the 26" one with the 1:8 twist rate and the thing is a sweet shooter. With these barrels it helps to get the A2 stock so you can fill the cavity in it with a counterweight (e: now they make a weight to go in the UBR stock as well so that is another option if you want a shorter length of pull, although I'm short and A2 works ok for me).

H39m6h4.jpg

White oak or rock river LPKs are both fine, I put the geiselle SSA-E in this thing.

Jeezuskriss! I a 26" man you NEED a counter weight big time... I made my own. Basically found a piece of wood and cut it to fit the stock. Then jamed the wood into some sand and poured lead into the hole. Not pretty but works.

Well... I bought an Anderson lower with a Wyndham A2 stock. I'll couple it to an interesting upper, and be running as soon as I receive it. As noted above, I can then invest in improving the LPK parts (Giselle trigger?) and build from there.

Thanks all for the advice. I'm looking at White Oak, RRA NM, and the others noted. Hopefully I'll be able to execute a purchase this weekend and be making noise as soon as this weekend.

Friend of mine bouget a complete midlength spikes upper with government barrel ($499), slapped on a BCM kmr alpha rail ($175), Spikes crusader lower ($107) B5 sopmod stock ($60) and all the bcm fixings, final price was around $1050 all done. Very nice setup, can't beat that in my eyes.

Friend of mine bouget a complete midlength spikes upper with government barrel ($499), slapped on a BCM kmr alpha rail ($175), Spikes crusader lower ($107) B5 sopmod stock ($60) and all the bcm fixings, final price was around $1050 all done. Very nice setup, can't beat that in my eyes.

I can't knock spikes stuff but I can tell you government profile barrels tend not to be very accurate. Mil spec accurate yes... I might be wrong but I thought all spikes barrels where chrome lined except their stainless fluted barrel.?
We can debate chrome vs non all day... generally though for accuracy chromed is left out...

Last edited:
My current build (just an Anderson lower & POF trigger at the moment) will be a more-shoulderable lightweight carbine than my current AR.

My AR is a tackdriver off a bipod or bags. 20" RRA predator pursuit upper, Geissele SSA trigger. A2 stock. But with the heavy match 20" SS 1:8 barrel, heavy handguard, RRA monolithic scope mount & Nikon M223 scope, it's way too heavy to carry around, and difficult to shoot off-hand. Even at 3x it's hard to hold steady shooting plates off-hand.

I want light(er) weight, but won't give up accuracy. I'm looking at a 14.5" Rainier Ultramatch barrel. Same .223 wylde chamber & 1:8 twist. Custom profile. Under 2lbs w/o fluting. The barrel alone is just under $400 though, so I'm saving my pennies. Once I get the barrel the rest of the build will come together quickly. Pinned comp. Likely BCM keymod handguard & either bcm or similar lightweight carbine stock (pinned, of course). Will put a lightweight red/green dot site with back-up flip-up irons. Hoping the whole thing will come in well under 7lbs.

Last edited:
I can't knock spikes stuff but I can tell you government profile barrels tend not to be very accurate. Mil spec accurate yes... I might be wrong but I thought all spikes barrels where chrome lined except their stainless fluted barrel.?
We can debate chrome vs non all day... generally though for accuracy chromed is left out...

I'm not sure what kind of accuracy ur looking for in $1k build? The OP is talking about M&p sport territory so I deff wouldnt nit pick a spikes upper. People forget that it depends what ur looking for out of the rifle and what u want to pay.

I'm not sure what kind of accuracy ur looking for in $1k build? The OP is talking about M&p sport territory so I deff wouldnt nit pick a spikes upper. People forget that it depends what ur looking for out of the rifle and what u want to pay.
He was looking at M&P sports then came to the conclusion he wants better. so far my 1k build is sub moa with my best 5 shot group being .697 I think now with my new scope and a little more load development I think I can bust into .5 area.
im all for knowing what you want out of your rifle... I have seen to many people drop good coin on great barrels only to dump m193/855 through them and shrug their shoulders to why the groups suck.

Not for nothing but a straight blowback PCC will tear a polymer lower to shreds.

The two poly lowers I have I'm holding for 22lr or pistol caliber builds (down the road.)
I literally bought them because they were cheap and available at MFS, right after Newtown and right after I got my LTC.

For this build I bought a pre-built Anderson / LPK / A2 combo from a member here. I'll couple it to something mid-priced I think, just to get functioning, altho a deal on an upper may be had that will drive me to go .mil barrel initially at least.

My current build (just an Anderson lower & POF trigger at the moment) will be a more-shoulderable lightweight carbine than my current AR.

My AR is a tackdriver off a bipod or bags. 20" RRA predator pursuit upper, Geissele SSA trigger. A2 stock. But with the heavy match 20" SS 1:8 barrel, heavy handguard, RRA monolithic scope mount & Nikon M223 scope, it's way too heavy to carry around, and difficult to shoot off-hand. Even at 3x it's hard to hold steady shooting plates off-hand.

I want light(er) weight, but won't give up accuracy. I'm looking at a 14.5" Rainier Ultramatch barrel. Same .223 wylde chamber & 1:8 twist. Custom profile. Under 2lbs w/o fluting. The barrel alone is just under $400 though, so I'm saving my pennies. Once I get the barrel the rest of the build will come together quickly. Pinned comp. Likely BCM keymod handguard & either bcm or similar lightweight carbine stock (pinned, of course). Will put a lightweight red/green dot site with back-up flip-up irons. Hoping the whole thing will come in well under 7lbs.

a heavy gun will be more steady for off hand for target shooting but not for lugging around for sure... I do agree though shooting off hand with any magnification can get wobbly....heck I just bought my first 8-32x scope and I cant use it past 24x yet with out getting sea sick! tried one of the club members rimfire silhouette set up with a fixed 30 or 40x with a target dot and man is that interesting...tough little game there basically you need to hold 2moa or less to be good at that sport...shooting off hand at tiny little chickens is a fun challenge

White Oak upper with a fluted bbl. My 20" SDM is better than MOA accurate and doesn't weight a ton.

not nit picking OP is leaning towards more accurate than a mil spec gov profile barrel that's all. for the most part that's what spikes offers...

Back
Top Bottom