Another VA Tech killing

TonyD

One Shot One Maggie's Drawers
http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/192005

When Virginia Tech authorities arrived Wednesday night at a cafe inside the Graduate Life Center, they found a decapitated female victim who had arrived on campus just two weeks ago and a young man they have now charged with killing her.

Authorities, including Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum, outlined some of the gruesome details of Wednesday night's murder on campus at a press conference this morning.

They said Xin Yang, a 22-year-old graduate student from Beijing, arrived Jan. 8 to begin her studies in accounting at the Pamplin College of Business. She lived in the graduate life center.

Haiyang Zhu, 25, a graduate student from China, was charged late Wednesday with first-degree murder and is being held without bond. He is a Ph.D. graduate student majoring in agricultural and applied economics. He began his studies at Virginia Tech at the start of the 2008 fall semester. Tech officials said the victim and suspect knew each other and Yang listed Zhu as an emergency contact.

Flinchum said the two were sitting at a table at the Au Bon Pain cafe in the Graduate Life Center when the disturbance began. There were seven witnesses to the events and two called 911 at 7:06 p.m.

When authorities arrived less than two minutes later, they discovered Yang's dead body, Zhu and a large kitchen knife that they believe is the murder weapon. Zhu did not resist arrest. There is no record of him being called to the attention of Tech or Blacksburg police or the university's threat assessment or CARE team before Wednesday.

Classes were not cancelled today and the graduate life center is open. The windows and glass doors of Au Bon Pain are blocked from the inside and the cafe is closed.

i don't see how thier race or enthnicity are relevant....

It has the same amount of relevance as the fact that guns exist - and that knives exist. Seems like if we are in the game of blaming objects or conditions for bad behavior, and we are thinking that knives and guns cause crime - maybe we ought to also ban people of Asian descent from Virginia Tech. Seems to be a bad combination. [wink]

Thinking about this a little more, something sounds fishy here. Passion crimes are usually many rage filled stabs. You generally cut someone's head off if you are trying to send a message to others.

seven 'witnesses' and no one tried to help?

They called 911! What else do you want them to do? Say, um could you stop doing that, you're getting blood on the floor?

Lemme guess they'll close down this building, bull doze it...and want more money so they can rebuild it somewhere else...so this can be sacred ground...

Has anyone thought of banning the murder of someone else on campus? That might help.

Thinking about this a little more, something sounds fishy here. Passion crimes are usually many rage filled stabs. You generally cut someone's head off if you are trying to send a message to others.

Unless he just stabbed her in the neck so many times her head came off. Which also doesn't preclude him stabbing her body.

I had a call many years ago where two guys at a fish processing plant got into a fight. One guy took his filleting knife and butchered the other one. We couldn't even count the number of cuts. No passion involved, but a lot of rage.

seven 'witnesses' and no one tried to help?

Wasn't the last guy Chinese as well?

How many witnesses were there to that incident on the bus in Canada? They didn't so anything to help the poor kid either.

Just remember that Martha Coakley says we don't encourage self help. Or help of others, either.

This is really a sore spot with me. [angry] Maybe it's just time to put an end to these "exchange students" who are probably here on our dime, and start selecting Americans only! I don't know how many friends were not accepted to the college of their choice, with good grades, because they weren't a foreigner, legacy, or one of the "downtrodden" members of our society.

This is really a sore spot with me. [angry] Maybe it's just time to put an end to these "exchange students" who are probably here on our dime, and start selecting Americans only!

They are actually paying full fare (or their governments are) and a huge source of income for the schools which helps subsidize tuitions for poorer americans.

This is really a sore spot with me. [angry] Maybe it's just time to put an end to these "exchange students" who are probably here on our dime, and start selecting Americans only! I don't know how many friends were not accepted to the college of their choice, with good grades, because they weren't a foreigner, legacy, or one of the "downtrodden" members of our society.

[hmmm] so ONE exchange student should ruin it for the bunch?

The first guy had legal guns... you know where I'm going with this

Lemme guess they'll close down this building, bull doze it...and want more money so they can rebuild it somewhere else...so this can be sacred ground...

Have some respect.

Over 30 innocent people were killed at Norris hall by a crazed maniac; including a friend of mine and one damn good professor. I think using it for needed office space instead of classrooms is just fine (they didn't tear it down, they just moved the classrooms elsewhere and moved the office-space to there...it was an old building in need of renovation anyway).

I wonder how many people who know where I graduated from will say "I'm sorry" tomorrow; I hate how my amazing college is now shrouded by the events in 2007, the two Vick idiots, and now this (and some other whack-job a few years earlier).

Ohhh that's too bad. [sad]

Probably could have been prevented if CCW was allowed on campus.

Given the minimum age for CCW is generally 21, the likelihood of a CCW being in that place at the right time is low. The argument for CCW on campus is only even remotely accurate for an active shooter and requires the CCW holder to actively seek out and engage the shooter. This is at current CCW rates. Today's incident is more about mace/OC or an attitude open to stepping in with what is at hand. A broom could have been enough. But again, students are trained to dial 911, not "self help".

Some of the finest students/persons I knew/know in college/grad school were/are foreign students, who easily deserved spots in their respective class over a lot of kids who have no idea what it means to 1) be able to go to college 2) be American 3) actually study.

Seven witlesses is more like it. Like someone couldn't have picked up a chair instead of their f-ing cell phones! Garranteed they were all thinking, 'Gee, I feel good that I called 911. Mommy will be proud.'

There is no selflessness anymore. Only narcissistic brats that have been taught not to get involved and let 'Big Brother' handle it.[angry][angry][angry]

I'm wondering why it hasn't been on the news. A knife must not be sensational enough, yet.

Body count is too low, and it sounds like the killer and the victim were
related, somehow. That's like a magnitude one on the "media paying attention to it" scale. [thinking]

-Mike

Didn't they say the police were able to draw connections between the two based on "their emergency contact information"?

Back
Top Bottom