Another transport question

My friend has an suv. When we go to the range i have all my handguns and long guns in locked containers. My friend only has soft cases with trigger locks. The law says "in a locked container" but my friend thinks hes ok. If we get pulled over, do you think I'll get in trouble for his error?

Im in ma

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
A trigger lock wont cut it for transport.

In an suv with no trunk, they need to be in locked containers. Soft bag with a lock in the zipper will be ok.

If we get pulled over, do you think I'll get in trouble for his error?

As far as who will get in trouble, you or the driver? I don't know, but is the risk worth the trouble of putting a lock in a zipper?

Last edited:
The law says "locked container" but doesn't specify what it has to be made out of.
My brother carried his in a locked, zippered bag while driving with me to the range, he has his LTC-A:ALP and I didn't have my LTC at all. So by your interpretation of this law, I could be in trouble for being in the automobile with the locked, zippered bag next to me and me being unlicensed.
Bottom line was, I was not the owner and I had no way to access the handgun that was not under the owners direct control so the law was followed to the letter.
I'm assuming here that the zippered bag of which you speak had a lock on them as well? or just trigger locks and no lock on the zipper?

Last edited:
My friend has an suv. When we go to the range i have all my handguns and long guns in locked containers. My friend only has soft cases with trigger locks. The law says "in a locked container" but my friend thinks hes ok. If we get pulled over, do you think I'll get in trouble for his error?

Trigger locks are not in accordance with the MA transport statute, which requires a locked trunk, locked case, or other secure container:

shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

See MGL Chapter 140 Section 131C. Trigger locks do satisfy the MA storage statute, MGL Chapter 140 Section 131L:

Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

Tell him to throw a lock on the soft cases.

This is the most misunderstood part of MGLs on firearms out there. I spend an average of 15-20 minutes in each of my MA Gun Law Seminars (see sig line) going over this and the differences between storage and transportation requirements and when transportation can become storage!!

To add to the confusion (many of my students tell me that they were using trigger locks in an unlocked range bag), I may have discovered one of the reasons for this confusion! As a recent "Hunter Education Graduate", both the Certified Hunter Education Instructors (3 of them) AND the EPO that addressed our class gave out BAD info that easily could lead to revocation of your LTC, heavy fines and possible jail time!! They each stated that ALL SOFT CASES required trigger locks to be MA compliant. As a "student" in said class and an unknown to all of the instructors/EPO, I kept my mouth shut and did not contradict them or give them proof that they are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!! [Disclaimer: Low capacity long guns don't even need a case/lock to be transported, but when any instructor says "ALL" with no qualifier students oftentimes believe them at their peril.]

Im in ma

Yes, if seen you both likely will lose your LTCs as a minimum.

I sometimes transport in a soft case in my SUV as well. I put a small cheap combo lock through the zippers.

Best solution and what I use myself.

The law says "locked container" but doesn't specify what it has to be made out of.
My brother carried his in a locked, zippered bag while driving with me to the range, he has his LTC-A:ALP and I didn't have my LTC at all. So by your interpretation of this law, I could be in trouble for being in the automobile with the locked, zippered bag next to me and me being unlicensed.
Bottom line was, I was not the owner and I had no way to access the handgun that was not under the owners direct control so the law was followed to the letter.
I'm assuming here that the zippered bag of which you speak had a lock on them as well? or just trigger locks and no lock on the zipper?

Exactly, MGL doesn't specify materials and if you need a tool (key, knowledge of combination, knife to cut the case, screwdriver to break the hinge on a hard case, etc.) you meet the requirements for transportation of any gun (see low cap comment above). No you wouldn't be in trouble if you had no key to the lock (since you don't have LTC, you can't have access).

Back
Top Bottom