• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another Tragic Waste Of Ammunition

Ammo does not mass detonate (but the Pro Tip still applies).

Here is how ammo behaves when subjected to destructive conditions:

This. Ammo doesn't do much when in fire.
We threw rounds at a camp fire in one of the NES events (camping the night before - so technically not AT the event), and nothing crazy happened, just some pops.

The cartridge case normally just splits or ruptures, but it is possible to get hit with shards of brass when the round cooks off.
Meanwhile in Fire Engineering magazine...

The icing on the cake:

... Once the fire is under control and ammunition is discovered during the overhaul process, it may be necessary to contact a local police department bomb squad for disposal.​
Sergeant Jarrett Seal of Tampa (FL) Police Department Bomb Squad explained that, “Once cooled, the ammunition may still present a considerable hazard, as the chemical makeup of the original product has changed due to the exposure of heat.” Although the potential of ammunition going off is lowered once cooled, there is still potential for an uncontrolled explosion. You don’t want the bullets to arbitrarily go off.”​
A bomb squad wears special gear when handling the unspent bullets. The bullets are transferred to a hardened steel vessel, which is designed for the burning-off of the explosives in a controlled manner in an isolated location. Firefighters should not leave even the smallest amount of ammunition behind after a structure fire, especially after since it has been exposed to heat. The unpredictable nature of the powder could result in another emergency for first responders.​

I wonder what the insurance implications are? Hopefully it is a normal fire claim and not a 2A issue.

SAAMI: Smokeless Powder: Properties & Storage
[shocked]

Note well:
Doesn't say what the effect are of heat on yield or pressure/reaction -
only that it could undergo spontaneous combustion.

@Len-2A Training
It is a bullshit article with no scientific basis. Smokeless powder cartridges can't spontaneously combust when cool. If I showed that to any of the fire chiefs that I know, they'd laugh their ass off reading it.

It is a bullshit article with no scientific basis. Smokeless powder cartridges can't spontaneously combust when cool.
Not the only recall notice page on the Intarwebs
that you can find by searching with both of the phrases
"smokeless powder" and "spontaneous combustion".

P. S. I'm really impressed with how Hodgdon brooms recall notices
off of their own web site after a decent interval. Don't. Kill. The. Job.

If I showed that to any of the fire chiefs that I know, they'd laugh their ass off reading it.
Yahbut the fire chiefs that you know includes
some dude who claims that powder, primers, or ammo stored in a backyard shed
does not count as a distinct structure under the fire code,
despite the clear language in the law.

Last edited:
I like the parts are the neighbors reported they saw him driving his Polaris ATV out of the garage while it was on fire, I wonder if it was the ATV or the garage that was on fire.

You could tell by his commitment to getting his shit out it definitely wasn’t intentional..

The article is BS and his neighbors are full of shit. The guy could’ve had a couple Jerry cans of fuel in there that would’ve been more dangerous.

And who hasn’t lit themselves on fire using a welder? Probably just took him too long to realize to put it out with his shitty fire extinguisher that’s outdated. Probably depleted

This. Ammo doesn't do much when in fire.
We threw rounds at a camp fire in one of the NES events (camping the night before - so technically not AT the event), and nothing crazy happened, just some pops.
I remember a couple hitting the metal roof with a bang. 🤣 Wouldn't want one in the eye, but otherwise not gonna do any damage.

Back
Top Bottom