• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another SVI donation to GOAL

"Wait...I can buy one??"

Let's review:

1. SVI was the FIRST 1911 on the AFR, back in 2002;

2. It is now 2006;

3. SVI was the TOP prize in GOAL's 2003 raffle and was advertised accordingly;

4. SVI was the TOP prize in GOAL's 2004 raffle and was advertised accordingly;

5. SVI was the TOP prize in GOAL's 2005 raffle and was advertised accordingly;

6. SVI is the TOP prize in GOAL's 2006 raffle; and

7. All this has been covered in this thread.

So - where HAVE you been?

Are you even a GOAL member?

At any rate, info can be found at www.sviguns.com Whether you can buy one is a matter between you, your wallet and your Significant Other. [wink]

Scrivener said:
"Wait...I can buy one??"

Let's review:

1. SVI was the FIRST 1911 on the AFR, back in 2002;

2. It is now 2006;

3. SVI was the TOP prize in GOAL's 2003 raffle and was advertised accordingly;

4. SVI was the TOP prize in GOAL's 2004 raffle and was advertised accordingly;

5. SVI was the TOP prize in GOAL's 2005 raffle and was advertised accordingly;

6. SVI is the TOP prize in GOAL's 2006 raffle; and

7. All this has been covered in this thread.

So - where HAVE you been?

Are you even a GOAL member?

What is your deal? I'm sorry that I'm not the all knowledgeable guru of all things guns.

Yes, I'm a GOAL member, have been for four years. But where there's no way that I can get to past Banquets because of location. I didn't know what was on the raffle. So I didn't really care what the raffle was because I didn't plan on getting tickets.

Honestly, I don't remember it being on the list for the December Giveaway.

And the last time that I saw one out, and being that I don't really know that much about 1911's, that I didn't connect the Infinity with SVI. And when I saw an Infinity at a Marlboro show, it had a sticker that read, "Not for MA."

So Yes, I didn't know. And while I'm a gun owner in MA, I also don't study the list because it really seems to mean diddly.

Why you have to answer my question like a bastard is beyond me...but whatever. I'm sorry that you're such an upset and angry person.

Anyway, besides taking a month or so to make one. What's the general costs of having one built? I didn't see any prices on the website?

Since you asked:

"Yes, I'm a GOAL member, have been for four years."

Then you've been getting The Outdoor Message for four years. That means you've seen ads for,. and subsequent coverage - including photos - of the raffle and the dinner for four years.

" I didn't know what was on the raffle."

See above.

"Honestly, I don't remember it being on the list for the December Giveaway."

It wasn't. Nor did anyone claim one was.

"And when I saw an Infinity at a Marlboro show, it had a sticker that read, 'Not for MA.'"

You don't say what table or when. However, SVI had tables at both the 2003 and 2004 shows, with examples of the GOAL raffle gun at those tables each year. Also, people at the SVI table were specifically telling visitors that they could win one in the GOAL raffle and sending them to the GOAL table (which hadn't printed the tickets yet, but that's another story.....).

So, not knowing what table you were at or when, I can't tell you too much. However, IF it was at the 2003 show or later AND it was either of the two Mass-compliant models, the sticker was wrong. If it was a bull-barrel model (no barrel bushing), the sticker was right.

The reality in Mass. is confusing enough without our adding to it. Does that help clear it up for you?

Anyway, besides taking a month or so to make one. What's the general costs of having one built? I didn't see any prices on the website?

Depending on what you want for a gun is what will determine the price. Expect to spend at least around $2000 for a basic gun. Some of the open guns cost $4500 or more depending on what you want.

Is it worth the money? ABSOLUTELY!!! These guns rock. I have a double stack 1911 and it shoots great. Shooting anything else is usually just a disappointment.

Pete

sdavid said:
Before the rumors start flying too fast, tickets will be available at the Marlboro show and online.

In addition, if anyone is looking to help at the GOAL table this year call me at the office 508-393-5333 ext. 203.

Thanks,

Sean

Sean,

You have voicemail back at the office. Turns out that it is very unlikely that I'll be attending the Wine Expo that day, so weather permitting I'm volunteering to help man the GOAL table at Marlboro on Saturday. Hope to see a lot of NES folks with money for tickets AND buying memberships in GOAL!!

LenS said:
sdavid said:
Before the rumors start flying too fast, tickets will be available at the Marlboro show and online.

In addition, if anyone is looking to help at the GOAL table this year call me at the office 508-393-5333 ext. 203.

Thanks,

Sean

Sean,

You have voicemail back at the office. Turns out that it is very unlikely that I'll be attending the Wine Expo that day, so weather permitting I'm volunteering to help man the GOAL table at Marlboro on Saturday. Hope to see a lot of NES folks with money for tickets AND buying memberships in GOAL!!

I'll make it a point to stop by and see ya Len!

Scrivener said:
"The standard interpretation of "[sic]" is to indicate an error in spelling, grammar or word usage. Now if I'd written "Improve there image" or "Improve they're image", a pedant might be justified in inserting the little Latin disclaimer of responsibility for the error. What such error do you claim for my statement, or has the habit simply become too ingrained? "

Simple. The subject is a corporation; therefore the term is ITS, not "their." Hence the error, identified the [sic] that so bothers you, indicating that the error is as quoted. No biggie; simple grammar.

Well, as long as we are going down this road, the real issue is that the subject is singular, and "their" should be used for plural subjects.

Then again, in places like the UK, it is commonly accepted usage to write and speak of a company as plural.

Given this fact, and the very casual conversational style of a message board such as this one, I would not have elected to add [sic] to the quotation. But, those are just my random thoughts...

Scrivener said:
"As for SVI's donation being the result of a "business decision," the facts clearly indicate otherwise. Under any rational economic analysis, it is a LOUSY business decision for reasons I already stated.

This state is far too small a market to warrant SVI's actions under any financial criteria. That other makers, whether specialty shops like Baer or major manufacturers like Glock, Kimber and Springfield, all dropped Massachusetts as a market is ample evidence of that fact.

This is only true if you look at MA in isolation. Taking a wider longterm view, seeking to promote firearms ownership across the country can only endear them to gun owners and generate sales. Word of mouth is important in the firearms community and being there for those of us unfortunate enough to be stuck in MA (at least for now) means a lot to some folks.

When I am ready for a premium 1911, I will be giving their pistols a long hard look, because they are bothering to support us.

Scrivener said:
It's pretty simple - SVI pays more than mere lip service to gun rights and gun owners. Draw your own inferences about the other makers....

I agree with you 100%!

Back
Top Bottom