• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another SVI donation to GOAL

Scrivener

Banned
Instead of just whining about not being able to buy a certain gun because its maker has abandoned Massachusetts, how about supporting GOAL and a gun maker - SVI - that DID get certified and DOES support Mass. shooters?

For the FOURTH consecutive year, SVI is donating the top prize in GOAL's annual raffle. This year's gun will again be a stainless single-stack .45; serial number is, of course GOAL 2006.

REAL gun rights advocates will buy tickets to support GOAL and acknowledge the generosity of all those who donated to its raffle. Whiners can take two Baer aspirin and call us when it's over....... [wink]

Scrivener,
Good point. I didn't win anything last year, but I fully intend to buy at least the same amount of tickets this year, as I did last. 5

Adam

I'll buy the tickets and attend the annual meeting and banquet, just as I do every year.

But let's not delude ourselves. SVI made what it consider to be a good business decision, donating to GOAL to raise their visibility and improve their image with Massachusetts gun owners. Other manufacturers have made what they consider to be a good business decision not to do business in Massachusetts as a way of improving their image with gun owners in other states. It's quite possible that both are right.

Ken

Tickets are SUPPOSED to be available at the Marlboro show next month. The printer was supposed to get the text today.

There is no single annual dinner this year; GOAL is experimenting w/a series of more local mini-dinners to try and generate greater overall attendance. We'll see how that works out....

"SVI made what it consider to be a good business decision, donating to GOAL to raise their visibility and improve their image with Massachusetts gun owners.:

"Improve their [sic] image?" That implies there was first something which besmirched its image, thus creating a need to "improve" it.

As:

1. There is no such incident;

2. This is the FOURTH consecutive year in which SVI has donated the top prize for this raffle; and

3. Sales to GOAL members wouldn't cover the cost of the ammo SVI bought for the required lab tests;

the "improve their image" assertion seems not only devoid of any foundation, but clearly contradicted by the facts. [roll]

Here's a wild thought: Maybe SVI genuinely supports gun owners here in Mass., just as it does in VT (the AWARE Match), UPSPA (the Nationals), NRA Bullseye (Camp Perry) and even holding its own match (ask Matt!). Just an idea...........

I think it's a great thing that SVI is donating for this raffle. I like to see companies get involved in local organizations.

But I don't see "Improving their image" as a derogatory phrase. Something doesn't need to be broken to be improved upon.

Just an observation.

CD

Scrivener said:
"Improve their [sic] image?" That implies there was first something which besmirched its image, thus creating a need to "improve" it.

I just LOVE when someone can work the word "besmirched" into regular conversation!

Adam

Scrivener said:
"...
SVI made what it consider to be a good business decision, donating to GOAL to raise their visibility and improve their image with Massachusetts gun owners.:

As:

1. There is no such incident;

2. This is the FOURTH consecutive year in which SVI has donated the top prize for this raffle; and

3. Sales to GOAL members wouldn't cover the cost of the ammo SVI bought for the required lab tests;

the "improve their image" assertion seems not only devoid of any foundation, but clearly contradicted by the facts. [roll]

Here's a wild thought: Maybe SVI genuinely supports gun owners here in Mass., just as it does in VT (the AWARE Match), UPSPA (the Nationals), NRA Bullseye (Camp Perry) and even holding its own match (ask Matt!). Just an idea...........

OK Kieth, I guess you must just be in a mood for arguing today, and haven't really been able to find anything over which to argue.

For starter's what's with your trademark "[sic]", other than to irritate people and attempt to assert your intellectual superiority over everyone else here? The standard interpretation of "[sic]" is to indicate an error in spelling, grammar or word usage. Now if I'd written "Improve there image" or "Improve they're image", a pedant might be justified in inserting the little Latin disclaimer of responsibility for the error. What such error do you claim for my statement, or has the habit simply become too ingrained? (It is, of course, improper to use "[sic]" to signal alleged errors of fact, rather than patent errors of form.)

As for your assertion that my talking about improving a company's image implies that there is not only something that there's something wrong with their image, but that there's some particular incident that besmirches it, you are quite simply full of shit. Jerry Miculek practices regularly in order to improve his speed and performance. Does that mean that there's something he's doing wrong? What particular incident is it for which he might be attempting to atone?

I've posted absolutely nothing that either explicitly or implicitly defames your client, counselor, unless you consider profit to be something inherently evil and libelous. Nor have I in any way claimed or suggested that profit and ideals must work in opposition. Saying that something represents a good business decision doesn't mean that it's something that an executive wouldn't be inclined to do otherwise. Most normal people probably find life more enjoyable and satisfying when they can do well by doing what they like or consider to be doing good.

Oh, I concede that I erroneously referred to "the" dinner in such a way that an uninformed person or one looking for something about which to gripe, might interpret to mean that I was unaware of GOAL's hosting multiple regional events this year. I'm and have been well aware of this since it was first announced. I'll attempt to be more boringly precise in the future. [wink] Please do feel free to correct any spelling errors or improper grammar in my posts, since my grade school English teachers are all either, too old to spend much time on-line, or spending their time in more productive and enjoyable ways these days.

Ken

Good reply...

Not to be critical, however I thought that [Sic] is Latin for thus. Am I wrong in that assumption?

Adam

Adam_MA said:
Good reply...

Not to be critical, however I thought that [Sic] is Latin for thus. Am I wrong in that assumption?

Adam

No, you are exactly correct. As in "Sic semper tyrannis".

Ken

"The standard interpretation of "[sic]" is to indicate an error in spelling, grammar or word usage. Now if I'd written "Improve there image" or "Improve they're image", a pedant might be justified in inserting the little Latin disclaimer of responsibility for the error. What such error do you claim for my statement, or has the habit simply become too ingrained? "

Simple. The subject is a corporation; therefore the term is ITS, not "their." Hence the error, identified the [sic] that so bothers you, indicating that the error is as quoted. No biggie; simple grammar.

" Jerry Miculek practices regularly in order to improve his speed and performance. Does that mean that there's something he's doing wrong?"

No, it means he is working to maintain a physical skill; hardly the equivalent of a corporate reputation. That noted, it is entirely possible I misinterpreted the tone of your post. IF so, I apologize.

As for SVI's donation being the result of a "business decision," the facts clearly indicate otherwise. Under any rational economic analysis, it is a LOUSY business decision for reasons I already stated.

This state is far too small a market to warrant SVI's actions under any financial criteria. That other makers, whether specialty shops like Baer or major manufacturers like Glock, Kimber and Springfield, all dropped Massachusetts as a market is ample evidence of that fact.

It's pretty simple - SVI pays more than mere lip service to gun rights and gun owners. Draw your own inferences about the other makers....

Scrivener said:
"
Simple. The subject is a corporation; therefore the term is ITS, not "their." Hence the error, identified the [sic] that so bothers you, indicating that the error is as quoted. No biggie; simple grammar.

What?? What does a corporation have anything to do with the posessive form of 'they'. 'They' meaning 'them' the subject matter in which 'their' is a completely acceptable substitution of 'it'.

Stop being a grammar nazi and stop being an ass, period! You're starting to make us [sic]!

Stop being a grammar nazi and stop being an ass, period! You're starting to make us [sic]!

Yes, the topic is the SVI donation to the GOAL raffle. If I want a grammar lesson, I'll go back to 3rd grade.

I will also be purchasing tickets when they become available.

SVI

To say that I am familiar with the details of the SVI decisions to certify in MA as well as donate to GOAL would be an understatement (I consult for the factory).

The willingness to drop ten guns onto concrete, provide ammo and pay a fee for certification as well as donate a gun to GOAL each year has far more to do with personal loyalty and friendships that with a plan to boost the corporate image (although the company realizes that does happen).

I'm sure, no matter what way you look at it, the entire situation is mutually beneficial to all parties involved. Like symbiosis.

Adam

Adam_MA said:
I'm sure, no matter what way you look at it, the entire situation is mutually beneficial to all parties involved. Like symbiosis.

Adam
The bottom list is that every person and company involved in the GOAL / SVI arrangement is one of the good guys.

Rob Boudrie said:
Adam_MA said:

Adam
The bottom list is that every person and company involved in the GOAL / SVI arrangement is one of the good guys.

Rob,

I don't think that anyone was disputing that fact!

The real issue that was in contention is that other LARGE companies and their staff attorneys made very different decisions about the value of doing business in MA. Knowing our AG as we (collective "we" here on NES) do, it is perfectly understandable why the big guys made their decision!

I'd be willing to bet that if an AG was willing to work with the mfrs to level with them as to what is acceptable and how they can get there, the results (number of mfrs available to MA peasants) would be a lot longer!

S,
While I deplore poor grammar in formal writing, this is informal. Yes, a corporate entity should be an "it" and not a "they". I took a writing seminar last April, and the instructor emphasized that in informal writing the use of a personal pro-noun was acceptable. Then there is the problem of compound nouns and how they sound to the ear. I still cringe when I hear something like "Beaney and Cecil is brought to you by Kellogg's Cereral." While it is correct, are "sounds" better.

Personally, I don't have a problem with "sic" when I am quoting someone directly as it distances myself from the writer.

Frequently, the problem with correcting other people's grammar is that it makes the person doing the correcting sound school marmish at best and elitist at worst.

There are those of us who write as a primary element in our livelihoods such as law, intelligence analysis, technical writing etc. Each type of writing has its own rules.

My posts here are far from perfect, rife with both spelling and grammatical errors, but one also gets the real "me". On the other hand, if I were to prepare a report for the Colonel of State Police or the Secretary of Public Safety, everything would be in order and would have been proof read three or four times.

While some may not agree, this forum is to some degree an entertainment medium in my opinion, it both amuses and informs. It brings together people from various demographic strata who share a common interest to exchange viewpoints. It is not elitist, but elgalitarian. I would respectfully suggest that there are other venues that one can participate in, if one desires to attain greater intellectual enlightenment with colleagues or peers who have similar academic attainments and share similar social mores.

I once knew a general who told me that he "would take an honest man over an educated man everytime." Frankly, experience in the world has validated that viewpoint.

Life can be very lonely at the pinnacle of the iceberg. Toleration does not necessarily equate to validation. It would be a very scary world if either Mark's or Scrivner's rules and world view were the only world views accepted and validated. I tend to suspect anyone who claims an exclusive monopoly on the truth.

Respectfully,

Mark

After perusing this thread I've just realized that I have learned three things.

Thing 1- I finally found out what [sic] means. (very important)

Thing 2- SVI is MA compliant.

Thing 3- I had damn well better watch my grammer, spelling, and form when I post on NES.

Though as much as I would hate to have one of my participles dangling out in plain view, I did skip over the english lessons because I'd much prefer to read about gun stuff. It's easier to digest and does not hurt my head.

Thanks to all. [mrgreen]

C-

All I can say is SVI RULES!!!! Not only do they make one of the best handguns on the market they are legal for sale in MA. If you haven't shot an SV gun you don't know what you're missing. I have one and am more than happy with it. Maybe I'll get lucky and win this raffle... [lol] [lol] [lol]

Back
Top Bottom