• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another..."show me your license'

This is analgous to a police officer asking every one he sees driving a car for his drivers license. So there's ammo in the safe. Does this necessitate asking for an FID? No.

Unless there is some kind of offense that puts a person under suspicion, there is no need to ask for a license.

However, the guy's stupidity was rewarded. F him if he can't take a joke.

The state doesn't give us anything. The rights were simply enumerated.

Your right to defend yourself is bestowed upon you when you are instantiated. [wink]

While I believe my base class to include this right as well, the state has thus far overloaded the 2A operator with a null pointer... [wink] As of yet the linter has not detected this and a segfault is occurring when the function is referenced... [laugh]
+1 to you both. [laugh2] This has got to be one of the best exchanges here this week.

On topic, I think JonJ nailed it. I suspect many people (sheeple?) go through life operating on the premise that the laws of the state are basically logical. We who attempt to understand the laws as they apply to us know differently. What appears to us to be stupid is most likely simple ignorance.

Last edited:
hollewud7 said:
are juries advised on "jury nullification"?? I would be willing to bet chances are a jury of my peers would have no idea what jury nullification is, nevermind utilize it.
Yes, they are...sort of. The courts generally imply that it is illegal, and regularly will charge (or threaten to charge) anyone talking about nullification with jury tampering. They will generally also consider charging anyone who attempts nullification with perjury, so your answers during jury selection are very important.

http://www.juryduty.org/JuryDuty.htm

It was for this precise reason that I forced the issue and made my Wife get a FID and LTC way back some 30 years ago. Brass was sometimes found rolling out from under a seat in the car, under the trunk floor mat, etc. and I did not want her to face criminal charges for this stupid law. [A PD in MA tried to nail a MAF'r Daughter on that charge . . . until she whipped out her FID card. I recall the story, don't recall who it was or if said person is now an NES'r or not.]

A number of years ago she genuinely came over to our side, but for many years she would tell people that "I forced her to get licensed" . . . something that I readily admitted. I looked at it as "cheap insurance"!

While I believe my base class to include this right as well, the state has thus far overloaded the 2A operator with a null pointer... [wink] As of yet the linter has not detected this and a segfault is occurring when the function is referenced... [laugh]

Just the sort of reason why I no longer code in C++ [wink]

Is anything known about the man who was arrested? Playing devils advocate; what if he was a felon, known to the police for drug dealing and committing robberies? Someone with a long criminal history who even people here would consider unsuitable. Then the police action was appropriate.

If that was not the case then it was very poor for the police to make such a weak arrest. My point is media reports NEVER include everything that occured or outline the backgrounds of people involved.

I agree that the law is flawed and it should not be illegal to posses ammunition, but beat up the law makers not the police officer enforcing the laws.

+1 to you both. [laugh2] This has got to be one of the best exchanges here this week.

On topic, I think JonJ nailed it. I suspect many people (sheeple?) go through life operating on the premise that the laws of the state are basically logical. We who attempt to attempt to understand the laws as they apply to us know differently. What appears to us to be stupid is most likely simple ignorance.

This is SO spot-on. So often people remark about how after going through something like this or hearing about it or having it somehow affect them, they didn't realize how F-ed up our laws are. It's sad that for so many it takes the prodding of a direct negative effect as a surprise to realize it.

While lawful-the arrest does not seem right in principal. The guy was a victim of a crime his home was broken into. Unless the guy was a total ass he shouldnt have been arrested. The Oficer had options 1. He could have conficated the ammo and gave the guy a tongue lashing. B. He could have confiscated the ammo and summonsed the guy to court for unlawful possesion of ammo or C. He could arrest the guy While all are proper actions a&b would have been the better choices. If that was done at my place you would have to explain why such a drastic course of action was taken. If the guy was being a jerk or was a shithead then no explanation would be needed.Maybee there is more to the story? If not it sounds like the officer lacks the ability to use discretion.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not. The department may have a policy/procedure that dictates what an officer can or cannot do in this situation.

I was originally going to comment that the officer should have used his discretion. But then I figured he might not have been able to, as JonJ mentioned. Some departments have very strict policies -- follow the policy or get fired.

Typically, departments like to see you make the arrest if the right of arrest is there. I don't buy that... However being that the "crime" in question is a felony, the fact that the officer made the arrest is logical to me. There's always aggravating and mitigating circumstances, but there's a certain obligation to carry out your duties when it comes to felonies IMO... And I'm sure his SGT/LT had some say in the matter as well. A little whisper in the ear so to speak. They typically act for the command staff's wishes, a command staff that more often then not likes to see lots of arrests and moving citations to justify their budgets. Just my informed $.02...

On topic, I think JonJ nailed it. I suspect many people (sheeple?) go through life operating on the premise that the laws of the state are basically logical. We who attempt to understand the laws as they apply to us know differently. What appears to us to be stupid is most likely simple ignorance.

Just leave it up to us programmers.

SELECT * FROM RIGHTS WHERE (GUNS = NULL) AND MAX(EXECUTIVE_POWER) > FOUNDERS_INTENT.

I think that the officer should have probably done things differently but he WAS doing his job. It is illegal to possess ammunition without at least an FID. As minor as it seems this guy was breaking the law and the police were there for a lawful reason and did do their job.

Also it seems that the guy asked the police to be there when he opened the safe. He should have known better.

EDIT: I do agree with stinx that the most drastic action should've been a court summons. But hey, maybe department policy in Lawrence is that bad.

Last edited:
EDIT: I do agree with stinx that the most drastic action should've been a court summons. But hey, maybe department policy in Lawrence is that bad.

Being that it's a red town, this doesn't surprise me at all.

-Mike

That's too bad... Had I been aware of this at that time I would have said something to Shaun... I played hockey with him and he was a decent guy.. I would've said something to him about it...

I know this is a zombie thread and all, but anyone know if Heller made any difference in this case? Or was it too late for this guy?
Seems like it could be a perfect scenario to strike down MA licensing requirements for possessing ammo.

Show me your papers. This state can't control crime or a budget, but they sure can control us.

Such a simple and clear way to word what might be the biggest problem with governments who stop serving the people.

Getting arrested yourself after calling police for help is very third world police state-ish, and alarming because I see other stories about it lately.

Funny this came up. Just last week I was in the elevator with a co-worker and when she got her keys out of her purse they were on a key chain that had a dummy .38 round on it. I casually asked if she was a shooter. She answered "No. Why do you ask?". I mentioned the .38 round hanging from her key chain. She said "My Dad gave it to me" (Her Dad lives in TX). I asked if she had any type of firearm license and she said no. I then explained that she was fair game for a weapons violation in MA and possibly a little jail time. She had absolutely no idea of the law in MA. I took the round off her key chain and told her I would hold it for her until she was ready to leave MA.

BTW, she thought that was the stupidest law she had ever heard of.

Not to totally thread jack this, but what the hell exactly is a "cop killer" bullet?

Wouldn't, I guess, any conventional handgun bullet be capable of this?

"Cop Killer Bullet" is a bogey-man invented by the Antis, to inflame public opinion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teflon-coated_bullet

Calling .22s "cop Killers" is the same thing as calling any center-fire arm a "High-powered assault weapon"...

Most people that read the report will be cluless as to what the capabilites of a .22 are. Remember, what we consider a normal number of guns to a trip to a range, with the appropriate "gun food", would freak out a lot of Mass folks, as they'd think that it was "go time"!

A 'Cop Killer' bullet is anything the Media/Authorities deems as such.

I'll check the house out first before calling the respond & report crew - how do I know the scum bag that broke in didn't drop a dime bag out his pocket? In this state is anyone willing to say YOU wouldn't get charged?

Back
Top Bottom