• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another RMV car tax question ( rare car - how do they come up with value)

No, not at all. Based always on the original MSRP. That number never changes over time.

Just wait until Mass figures out about inflation.
That car you bought in 2005 for $25k, is now equal to $35k in todays dollars.
So what's to stop them from taxing you based on inflation adjusted value ???

If it is indeed a race car and therefore 'offroad' (as in track) only, why in the world would you register it with the state of Massachusetts? What purpose does a registration serve?

This is more about excise tax.
I have an old lexus, 2000 ls400, years ago they stopped taxing me on the book value ($2500) and started taxing me a percentage of the original msrp ($80k).

It literally has the highest excise tax than all the 2014 and 2015 cars we have. Makes me want to take it off the road.
Comply, serf, and bend the knee....and bend over. And that MSRP was way below 80k https://www.cars.com/research/lexus-ls_400-2000/

Comply, serf, and bend the knee....and bend over. And that MSRP was way below 80k https://www.cars.com/research/lexus-ls_400-2000/

I stand corrected, I thought I saw the window sticker somewhere with the total price close to $80. Granted thats the base, but all the options
I don't think adds $20k

Still however. That 22 year old car has a higher excise tax than my 2015 GX460

MVU-29 when transferring a currently owned vehicle from out of State

Yes, that's a good one.

Just learned today that if you bought the car out of State less than 6 mos before, you will owe sales tax: If it's w a State that has reciprocity then you owe the difference i.e. You buy a car in GA, they have 4% state sales tax, MA has 6.25% you owe MA 2.25%. If it's not a reciprocal State you owe the full 6.25%. You'd get screwed w/ Oklahoma since they charge 4.5% sales tax and are nor reciprocal. Most of the non-reciprocal states are no sales tax states. That's if bought it out of State within 6 mos.

Yes. I had that exact situation and they charged me tax based on bill of sale.
(I thought they always use bill of sale..)

..exise tax paid annually to my town is super cheap, based on NADA maybe, which is nice

Yep. Bill of sale.

I imported a right hand drive Subaru truck which was never sold in the states. Had to use bill of sale.

So rising used car value will not effect my excise tax?
It shouldn't. The POS I got recently as a first car for my 17yo got taxed by RMV as a 7k vehicle. The excise tax he's paying is based on a 2k valuation. I advised Junior to appeal the excise tax number and tell them that the true value of the car is 7k. He told me to go to hell LOL

If it is indeed a race car and therefore 'offroad' (as in track) only, why in the world would you register it with the state of Massachusetts? What purpose does a registration serve?
You pay sales tax when you TITLE the car, not when you register it.

Having a title is sometimes required by some racing venues to prove the car isn’t stolen.

Last edited:
You pay sales tax when you TITLE the car, not when you register it.

Having a title is sometimes required by sone racing venues to prove the car isn’t stolen.
Gotcha, makes sense. However, I'd figure out a way to title elsewhere if not driving on Mass roads.

Bit of a thread resurrection here so forgive me!

A family member of mine in Ohio wants to gift me a car. As in, they would transfer me the title in Ohio. How do I "get" the car to MA since MA doesn't issue temporary plates? Can I use MVU-24 or MVU-29 since it's a gift but I'm receiving it outside of MA and then wanting to bring it here and register it? Or could I register it here despite it not physically being here, get plates, fly to Ohio, and then put on the plates and drive it here?

Bit of a thread resurrection here so forgive me!

A family member of mine in Ohio wants to gift me a car. As in, they would transfer me the title in Ohio. How do I "get" the car to MA since MA doesn't issue temporary plates? Can I use MVU-24 or MVU-29 since it's a gift but I'm receiving it outside of MA and then wanting to bring it here and register it? Or could I register it here despite it not physically being here, get plates, fly to Ohio, and then put on the plates and drive it here?
Yes, you can use the applicable MVU form. The only way you get valid MA plates is by bringing the original title/MVU to the RMV - The car doesn’t have to be here to register it but the Title/MVU do.

The other way around it is if you’re transferring the plate from an existing vehicle to the new one, then you have 7 days to actually get the car registered.

Not that I’d ever advocate it, but I have seen people transfer a plate (call their insurance, get a stamped RTA), drive the car home and then change their mind and call the insurance and get a revised RTA for a new plate. If something happens to the car the plate was transferred from in the interim then you’re SOL, and if the new car gets into an accident you pretty much have to go thru w the transfer which means getting new plates on the old car. Again, have seen it done but don’t recommend

Back
Top Bottom