Another respiratory virus from China (Coronavirus Megathread)

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
1,804 cases 56 deaths as it stands right now.
The details there are interesting. Take just the first line for Wuhan province. 1052 cases, 52 deaths, 129 critical. If you add the dead to the critical, you have 181. That is 17%. Some of the critical will likely die but we don't know how many until you have a lot of full recoveries to analyze. Even if they live, critical means someone at least has to occupy a hospital bed. That is a problem when the beds run out. A critical person at home is likely going to be a dead person.

Spartan65

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The details there are interesting. Take just the first line for Wuhan province. 1052 cases, 52 deaths, 129 critical. If you add the dead to the critical, you have 181. That is 17%. Some of the critical will likely die but we don't know how many until you have a lot of full recoveries to analyze. Even if they live, critical means someone at least has to occupy a hospital bed. That is a problem when the beds run out. A critical person at home is likely going to be a dead person.
If you look around on social media there are many videos of people in Wuhan saying that all hospitals are over whelmed and that people are being sent home and told to say in their own homes. And the videos are in the hundreds I feel it is hard to believe they are all false statements.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
If you look around on social media there are many videos of people in Wuhan saying that all hospitals are over whelmed and that people are being sent home and told to say in their own homes. And the videos are in the hundreds I feel it is hard to believe they are all false statements.
With a population of 19 million for the metro area, you would think their hospital capacity could easily handle a few thousand extra people. So, what does that mean? Either
1. Their hospital capacity is abysmal.
2. There really are a lot more people than 1000 running to the hospital with symptoms of something (which could include stuff other than coronavirus but we don't know how many).

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
With a population of 19 million for the metro area, you would think their hospital capacity could easily handle a few thousand extra people. So, what does that mean? Either
1. Their hospital capacity is abysmal.
2. There really are a lot more people than 1000 running to the hospital with symptoms of something (which could include stuff other than coronavirus but we don't know how many).
It takes more than an empty bed for this kind of case. Here, the patient will be in a negative pressure room under strict isolation for airborne, contact and eye protection. Even in our major medical centers we don't have to capacity to treat volumes of patients at that level. I'd be amazed if Wuhan has more than a handful of beds in that class.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
It takes more than an empty bed for this kind of case. Here, the patient will be in a negative pressure room under strict isolation for airborne, contact and eye protection. Even in our major medical centers we don't have to capacity to treat volumes of patients at that level. I'd be amazed if Wuhan has more than a handful of beds in that class.
Oh, if they are putting that much effort in per case, then they would easily run out. We have very few of those types of rooms too. I had imagined each patient just lays on a cot with an IV and that is it.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Oh, if they are putting that much effort in per case, then they would easily run out. We have very few of those types of rooms too. I had imagined each patient just lays on a cot with an IV and that is it.
I expect that IS what they're doing there and that's why the transmission rate is so high.

Waher

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boston Gun & Rifle and Braintree Rifle & Pistol

I went to a major supermarket for instant noodles and cookies. I saw some people from the government health department in the store. They were not happy that only three cashiers and two weighing stations were staffed and customers must form long queues waiting to be served. They instructed store staff to open up all cashier lines and put in more weighing stations to move customers as quickly as possible to reduce cluster.
I found a notice in the lift of my building saying that to contact community office if anybody had fever or persistant dry cough, and the community office will arrange for medical appointment so people do not have to wait in hospitals for hours with hundreds of potentially ill patients. Thankfully, none in my family show any symptoms.
.Gov doing more to keep people from congregating in groups.

Farmers have been blocking roads with equipment and berms in addition to government checkpoints to keep people from the cities from coming into their villages/towns.

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harvard LOVES China, China has given Harvard hundreds of millions of dollars.
Yes and it has likely been worth it for China as the money comes in Harvard’s front door and the research advancements go right out the back door (to catch a plane to Beijing).

🐯

Devils Paintbrush

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Unfortunately, I happen to be in Xi'an, China right now. Most of my regular websites are not working (wretched great firewall), but NES is, yea.

The weather is really smoggy here, as bad or worse than Bejing. Smog is the real thing that is giving me respiratory duress, I havent' seen the sun all week.

Most Chinese don't care or aren't worried, I see that US news is really hyping the situation.

My company has a whole army of HR types who are breaking themselves trying to show how concerned they are about my well being...all from the safety of the United States.

I have been told I can leave if I so desire, but getting a flight out early is going to be difficult. I am scheduled to come back on the 15th of Feb. A couple of guys have cut and run, I have decided to stay for now. I don't interact with many people during the day. Maybe the only chance of me contracting anything is grabbing utensils out of the chop stick tray at lunch.

They did close the gym and pool at the hotel for the immediate "future".

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Got it, thanks. The guy on the ground started off by saying it was the Chinese Chernobyl, so I stopped listening after that. Unless he has proof that the China.gov released something I'll hard pass on that until some facts come out. [cheers]
You have to accept though that the odds of this being naturally occurring vs shit bag communist f***s once again coming around to murdering their own citizens is about 50/50 given the current political/economic environment right?

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Unfortunately, I happen to be in Xi'an, China right now. Most of my regular websites are not working (wretched great firewall), but NES is, yea.

The weather is really smoggy here, as bad or worse than Bejing. Smog is the real thing that is giving me respiratory duress, I havent' seen the sun all week.

Most Chinese don't care or aren't worried, I see that US news is really hyping the situation.

My company has a whole army of HR types who are breaking themselves trying to show how concerned they are about my well being...all from the safety of the United States.

I have been told I can leave if I so desire, but getting a flight out early is going to be difficult. I am scheduled to come back on the 15th of Feb. A couple of guys have cut and run, I have decided to stay for now. I don't interact with many people during the day. Maybe the only chance of me contracting anything is grabbing utensils out of the chop stick tray at lunch.

GTFO now please......every day you stay the greater the risk you wont get out if it spreads to where you are

Devils Paintbrush

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
1,804 cases 56 deaths as it stands right now.
This could be helpful for me, and I have access to it (i.e. it is not blocked).

I am in Shaanxi province, so 15 cases reported.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Well.......if the human race comes to an end before my new boat shows up I'm going to be pissed.
Funny, I'm thinking if this thing hits hard there's going to be lot of cool stuff for sale cheap. That whole supply and demand thing is going to get turned on its head when all the "customers" are dead.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying it's zombies, but ... zombies

Hong Kong authorities stepped up monitoring of airports and train stations Saturday in response to a mysterious outbreak of a viral pneumonia.

Officials activated a new “serious response” level, which indicates a moderate impact on Hong Kong’s 7.5 million people, The Associated Press said. It is the second highest in a three-tier system that is part of a new government plan launched Saturday to respond to infectious diseases of unknown cause.

The outbreak started last month in the mainland city of Wuhan, a city about 600 miles northwest of Hong Kong. At least 44 people have fallen ill, with 11 of them in critical condition, the South China Morning Post reported.

All were being treated in isolation and 121 others who had been in close contact with them were under observation. So far, no medical workers have been infected and there have been no clear indications of human-to-human transmission of the disease.

Many of the ill worked at a seafood market that also sold live wild animals like rabbits and birds that can carry viruses dangerous to humans. Avian flu has been ruled out, along with influenza.

While the market has been scoured, the outbreak has prompted worries about the return of the 2002-2003 SARS epidemic that started in southern China and killed nearly 800 people and infected more than 8,000 in the mainland, Hong Kong and elsewhere.

The most common symptom is fever, with shortness of breath and lung infections in a small number of cases, the Wuhan Health Commission said.

Hong Kong’s health department added an additional thermal imaging system at the city’s airport to check the body temperature of arriving passengers. Temperature checks are also being done at the West Kowloon high-speed rail station that connects Hong Kong to the mainland.

Screening measures were also adopted in Singapore and Taiwan.

The World Health Organization is “closely monitoring” the outbreak.
AKA: The Kung Flu

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Funny, I'm thinking if this thing hits hard there's going to be lot of cool stuff for sale cheap. That whole supply and demand thing is going to get turned on its head when all the "customers" are dead.
On shows like walking dead, when they need a car they go and find the rustiest hunk of junk they can. Never mind the Apocalypse happens like 10 years ago for them and all the cars start right up at the turn of the key.

Why don't they ever boost an Escalade or Porsche, or even a nice Mustang?

Super99Z

NES Member
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
On shows like walking dead, when they need a car they go and find the rustiest hunk of junk they can. Never mind the Apocalypse happens like 10 years ago for them and all the cars start right up at the turn of the key.

Why don't they ever boost an Escalade or Porsche, or even a nice Mustang?
Because no matter how much these shows make, they could only afford a Kia or Hyundai [rofl]

Chevy 2 65

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You're nuts, I would be gone. Nothing would suck more than getting stuck there.

Top Bottom