Another respiratory virus from China (Coronavirus Megathread)

Vermonster

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Interesting treatment that brought the president from pneumonia to hospital release in 17 days...

Hernández said he had started what he called the "MAIZ treatment," an experimental and unproven combination of microdacyn, azithromycin, ivermectin and zinc that his government is promoting as an affordable way of attacking the disease. He was released from the hospital July 2.
Microdacyn is a wound care product containing hypochlorous acid. This active ingredient is also used in a number of surface disinfectants.

There is limited data to suggest the product is safe to use orally, but I am not clear on what kind of drug interactions might be an issue with the residual bleach in my system from the last treatment I tried. I am thankful to hear it can be used with ivermectin, since my dog takes that for heartworm and I want to be sure and keep him safe from the virus.

ToddDubya

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Here's the website of the group that CNN describes as "a group of people wearing white lab coats calling themselves 'America's Frontline Doctors.'" Led by "a speaker who identifies herself as a doctor." (Simone Gold, MD, JD, FABEM. Yes she is an MD, which anyone can quickly verify.) Under the tab "references" there's a couple of interesting reports.

(She claims the proper HCQ dosage is 200 mg. twice weekly, and zinc daily - hell I get more than that from quinine water.)

1595956743490.png

Suspicious?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the website of the group that CNN describes as "a group of people wearing white lab coats calling themselves 'America's Frontline Doctors.'" Led by "a speaker who identifies herself as a doctor." (Simone Gold, MD, JD, FABEM. Yes she is an MD, which anyone can quickly verify.) Under the tab "references" there's a couple of interesting reports.

(She claims the proper HCQ dosage is 200 mg. twice weekly, and zinc daily - hell I get more than that from quinine water.)

Link doesn't work for me, but I think one of those "docs" is Dr. Stella Immanuel, who has suggested DNA from aliens is being used in treatments, and that you get microchiped when you get a vaccine, and because facebook took down posts of her stating this, Jesus himself would personally take down their servers.

You can take your medical advice from her, me, I will look at the reports in Nature and NEJM.

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
*****Edit. They pulled the video. There was a Dr. who gave a visual presentation on how HCQ and zinc work against Covid. It was pretty interesting. They also had a bunch of reports on the safety history and other uses of HCQ. If you can find the video it’s worth watching.
This link contains the Americas Frontline Doctors summit video that some people are looking for. It may be part two of the summit because it’s not the outdoor press conference, but the info is all the same. Warning, it’s pretty long. But it does contain a very good description, early in the video, of how HCQ and zinc work against Covid.

Last edited:

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0

Un-f***ing-believable. Trump and his idiot son retweet a video of literally a witch doctor explaining that masks don't work and
chloroquine is a 100% effective cure for covid-19.

That movie Idiocracy was very accurate, but it's happened much sooner than anyone would have believed. Just substitute
blind faith in dear leader's endorsement of a miracle cure for Brawndo.

Joe: For the last time, I'm pretty sure what's killing the crops is this Brawndo stuff.
Secretary of State: But Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes.
Attorney General: So wait a minute. What you're saying is that you want us to put water on the crops.
Joe: Yes.
Attorney General: Water. Like out the toilet?
Joe: Well, I mean, it doesn't have to be out of the toilet, but, yeah, that's the idea.
Secretary of State: But Brawndo's got what plants crave.
Attorney General: It's got electrolytes.
Joe: Okay, look. The plants aren't growing, so I'm pretty sure that the Brawndo's not working. Now, I'm no botanist, but I do know that if you put water on plants, they grow.
Secretary of Energy: Well, I've never seen no plants grow out of no toilet.
Secretary of State: Hey, that's good. You sure you ain't the smartest guy in the world?
Joe: Okay, look. You wanna solve this problem. I wanna get my pardon. So why don't we just try it, okay, and not worry about what plants crave?
Attorney General: Brawndo's got what plants crave.
Secretary of Energy: Yeah, it's got electrolytes.
Joe: What are electrolytes? Do you even know?
Secretary of State: It's what they use to make Brawndo.
Joe: Yeah, but why do they use them to make Brawndo?
Secretary of Defense: 'Cause Brawndo's got electrolytes.

Woodsloafer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Un-f***ing-believable. Trump and his idiot son retweet a video of literally a witch doctor explaining that masks don't work and

That movie Idiocracy was very accurate, but it's happened much sooner than anyone would have believed. Just substitute

Joe: For the last time, I'm pretty sure what's killing the crops is this Brawndo stuff.
Attorney General: So wait a minute. What you're saying is that you want us to put water on the crops.
Joe: Well, I mean, it doesn't have to be out of the toilet, but, yeah, that's the idea.
Joe: Okay, look. The plants aren't growing, so I'm pretty sure that the Brawndo's not working. Now, I'm no botanist, but I do know that if you put water on plants, they grow.
Secretary of State: Hey, that's good. You sure you ain't the smartest guy in the world?
Joe: Okay, look. You wanna solve this problem. I wanna get my pardon. So why don't we just try it, okay, and not worry about what plants crave?
She seems fairly reasonable:

Dr. Stella Immanuel claims that medical issues like endometriosis, cysts, infertility, and impotence are caused by sex with “spirit husbands” and “spirit wives”—a phenomenon Immanuel describes essentially as witches and demons having sex with people in a dreamworld.

“They are responsible for serious gynecological problems,” Immanuel said. “We call them all kinds of names—endometriosis, we call them molar pregnancies, we call them fibroids, we call them cysts, but most of them are evil deposits from the spirit husband,” Immanuel said of the medical issues in a 2013 sermon. “They are responsible for miscarriages, impotence—men that can’t get it up.”

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regardless - and I'm not unconvinced that wasn't a dirty trick - you're still not convinced, despite empirical evidence in other countries, and the general understanding of the pharmacology of HCQ and zinc uptake - HCQ+zinc (and with z-pak as needed) doesn't work?

I'm seeing an awful lot of politics and not a lot of science.

omega42

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bar owner says "Well Jesus fed 5,000 people with five loaves of bread and two fish so who are you to tell us what constitutes a meal?"

Cuomo says "Well that's just a fairy tale" and alienates even more of his voter base.
Nope. The probability of a Bible literalist being a Cuomo supporter is zero.

Papers, please. (from the Glob)

Baker issues strict new rules on people traveling to Mass., including possible $500 per day fine for violators

The new travel order goes into effect Aug. 1 and applies to all travelers entering the state, including both out-of-state residents and Massachusetts residents returning home, the governor’s office said.
Under the order, everyone coming to the state must fill out a “Massachusetts Travel Form” and quarantine for 14 days unless they are coming from a state where the coronavirus risk is lower or they can produce a negative coronavirus test result administered no more than 72 hours prior to arriving in Massachusetts, the governor’s office said.

“Those who do not comply with the new travel order are subject to a $500 per day fine,” Baker said at a State House news conference.
I call for reciprocity!

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
This video with the doctors should be mandatory viewing.

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Regardless - and I'm not unconvinced that wasn't a dirty trick - you're still not convinced, despite empirical evidence in other countries, and the general understanding of the pharmacology of HCQ and zinc uptake - HCQ+zinc (and with z-pak as needed) doesn't work?

I'm seeing an awful lot of politics and not a lot of science.
Aside from that one positive result from Henry Ford Health system (which appeared so have a some flaw where patients who received hydroxychloroquine were also more likely to get steroids, which appear to help very sick patients with Covid-19. ), there seems to be mostly studies showing no useful effects.

When there are get to be some number of clinical trials with no clear benefit, it's time to spend resources looking for something effective.
The large amount of effort and resources spent so far really seem to be due to Trump and politics, not positive outcomes.
While dangers of chloroquine were exaggerated in the press (I used to take it when we went to visit India), it's not responsible to dose a huge population if it doesn't help , and they're not fighting malaria; even rare side effects start to add up to an overall negative outcome.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Latest story on how f'd up the testing is. Good friend and his wife were planning to fly cross-country to visit relatives. Decided to get tested before leaving. Purely precautionary as both have no symptoms. She gets the "quick test". It comes back positive. He then immediately gets the "regular test" that takes a extra day or two for results. It comes back negative. Both results cannot be correct. Furthermore, neither one of then can get retested for 14 days. "The system" asks if you've been tested recently and won't let you get one for at least 14 days. What a cluster****.
Your post, reading literally, says the wife took the quick test and was positive and the husband took the send-out and came back negative.

It is absolutely possible for a wife to have it and husband not to or vice versa. Haven't you ever caught a cold/flu and NOT spread it to the entire family?

I THINK you meant to say one or the other took the quickie, tested positive and then took the send-out, testing negative. That is also absolutely reasonable. The quick tests CAN return a false positive. That's what the send-out confirms/denies.

As for stopping you from getting a retest, that's likely to reduce the burden on the testing labs, which are STILL working round the clock to result all the tests.

Nothing is preventing him from walking into a different clinic and private-paying for the test every day.

Reactions: jpk

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Aside from that one positive result from Henry Ford Health system (which appeared so have a some flaw where patients who received hydroxychloroquine were also more likely to get steroids, which appear to help very sick patients with Covid-19. ), there seems to be mostly studies showing no useful effects.

When there are get to be some number of clinical trials with no clear benefit, it's time to spend resources looking for something effective.
The large amount of effort and resources spent so far really seem to be due to Trump and politics, not positive outcomes.
While dangers of chloroquine were exaggerated in the press (I used to take it when we went to visit India), it's not responsible to dose a huge population if it doesn't help , and they're not fighting malaria; even rare side effects start to add up to an overall negative outcome.
Lets get the healthcare experts/planners out of the way and let the people who's lives are actually on the line make their own decisions as to what they're gonna take for course of treatment.

Present the options.....its up to the patient to decide.

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0

If you watch the video from those doctors (I believe it is part two of the summit, it’s indoors if you’re searching), you’ll see that they presented over 180 studies over the past 50 years on the safety of HCQ. It helps everything from diabetes to malaria, and has been given to infants as well as geriatrics with only 180 deaths in that 50 year time span. Millions of people with no problem.

Last edited:

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you watch the video from those doctors (I believe it is part two of the summit, it’s indoors if you’re searching), you’ll see that they presented over 180 studies over the past 50 years on the safety of HQC. It helps everything from diabetes to malaria, and has been given to infants as well as geriatrics with only 180 deaths in that 50 year time span. Millions of people with no problem.
There have quite literally been BILLIONS of doses of HQC taken by folks all over the world for 50 years.......

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There's also that accidental "experiment" the Swiss did. And there are others. The efficacy of HCQ is probably due to zinc upregulation, thus of use as a prophy or in mild or asymptomatic cases.

We'd be a lot further along on studies were it not for that bogus paper in the Lancet - it did irreparable damage to research into the efficacy of HCQ. And honestly, that incident as an effort to discredit HCQ as a potential treatment, methinks had a lot more to do with anti-Trump politics than we're seeing pro-Trump "pushing" of the drug.

As for other treatments, I still suspect MATH+ (M = Methylprednisolone, a corticosteroid) is best bet for moderate to severe cases. But you certainly wouldn't want to use MATH+ as a prophy or in mild cases - in fact, the protocol specifically states it's for hospitalized patients ONLY.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  • Wow
Reactions: mcb

Super99Z

NES Member
Rating - 50%
1   1   0

Waher

NES Member