Another respiratory virus from China (Coronavirus Megathread)

MaverickNH

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
No, it probably wouldn't have. The deaths were vastly disproportionately in the "migrant" community, who likely would have ignored any restrictions imposed on them, anyway.
Johns Hopkins may have a bias here...Chicken Littles in their moment of glory. COVID-19 Updates - June 3

”SWEDEN Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Sweden has stood out as a case study of an alternative approach responding to the virus. In contrast to many other nations, Sweden did not implement strict mandatory social distancing measures. Rather, Sweden encouraged social distancing but largely limited mandatory restrictions to a prohibition of gatherings of greater than 50 people. Sweden has reported COVID-19 mortality among the highest per capita in the world, including compared to other Nordic countries, which have reported significantly fewer deaths. In an interview withSwedish radio, Dr. Anders Tegnell of the Swedish Public Health Agency noted that the Swedish COVID-19 response has room for improvement, particularly with respect to Sweden’s COVID-19 mortality. In a subsequent interview, Dr. Tegnell emphasized that Sweden’s approach was implemented based on available information, and it is unclear at this time how Sweden should have reacted differently. In particularly, Swedish officials officials have acknowledged that the COVID-19 response did not provide adequate protection for high-risk individuals, such as older adults residing in nursing homes. While Sweden’s COVID-19 response permitted stores, restaurants, and other businesses to continue operating, the continued economic activity does not appear to have prevented a financial crisis. Unfortunately, due to the heavy reliance on exports, Sweden’s Minister of Finance Magdelena Andersson notes that Sweden may face its worst recession since World War 2. The Swedish government has committed to establishing a commission to evaluate the nation's strategy for responding to COVID-19.”

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Johns Hopkins may have a bias here...Chicken Littles in their moment of glory. COVID-19 Updates - June 3

”SWEDEN Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Sweden has stood out as a case study of an alternative approach responding to the virus. In contrast to many other nations, Sweden did not implement strict mandatory social distancing measures. Rather, Sweden encouraged social distancing but largely limited mandatory restrictions to a prohibition of gatherings of greater than 50 people. Sweden has reported COVID-19 mortality among the highest per capita in the world, including compared to other Nordic countries, which have reported significantly fewer deaths. In an interview withSwedish radio, Dr. Anders Tegnell of the Swedish Public Health Agency noted that the Swedish COVID-19 response has room for improvement, particularly with respect to Sweden’s COVID-19 mortality. In a subsequent interview, Dr. Tegnell emphasized that Sweden’s approach was implemented based on available information, and it is unclear at this time how Sweden should have reacted differently. In particularly, Swedish officials officials have acknowledged that the COVID-19 response did not provide adequate protection for high-risk individuals, such as older adults residing in nursing homes. While Sweden’s COVID-19 response permitted stores, restaurants, and other businesses to continue operating, the continued economic activity does not appear to have prevented a financial crisis. Unfortunately, due to the heavy reliance on exports, Sweden’s Minister of Finance Magdelena Andersson notes that Sweden may face its worst recession since World War 2. The Swedish government has committed to establishing a commission to evaluate the nation's strategy for responding to COVID-19.”
Honestly, ANY analysis of the Swedish virus experience that doesn't specifically address the migrants is illegitimate. 25% of Sweden is "from away."

40 % of the reported COVID-19 related deaths occurring in Stockholm involve the Somali diaspora communities”; “18 % (estimated) of the COVID-19 deaths country-wide are from the Somali community,[10] [11] (Numbers of Somalis in 2016 in Stockholm municipality approx. 7,827 of 935,619 persons = 0.84%)(Metropolitan Stockholm 2.4M (2016)) (Total Swedish population 9.5M – of which approx. 63,853 were Somalis = 0.67% (2016))[12] [13]

Data clearly shows Somalis, and wider immigrant groups, are D deficient, for example, “Vitamin D deficiency ( < 25 nmol/l) was found in 73% of the Somali women and in 1% of the controls” (Sweden)[14]; “according to several studies, certain categories of immigrants living in the northern part of Europe are vitamin D deficient “; “A significantly higher proportion of immigrant women (77.9%) had levels < 25 nmol/l compared with 3.9% in controls; 29.4% had 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels, < 12 nmol/l, but none of the controls.”(Sweden)[15]A high prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency (S-25OHD < 50 nmol/l) was observed (89·6 %) in the Somali group.” (Finland) [16]

Last edited:

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have to hand it to you, Flununu did make me chuckle.
Unfortunately there are 170k people he put out of work that are not laughing.......but probably will chuckle at the ballot box in Nov

FluNoNoNo is the quintessential example of a politician that was tested under fire and failed

The lawsuit where he was sued recently by a parent with special needs child is apparently going badly for the governor

the argument was made by the plaintiff that while there MAY have been justification in original 3 weeks of emergency based on concern that NH would follow same course as Italy/NY,,,,,the STATISTICS that have been produced daily DO NOT support a continued shutdown after the initial 3 week state of emergency

I suspect this is going to go badly for SuNoNoNo

He DESPERATELY is trying to keep this emergency going to justify his bad decisions but the data increasingly supports the fact that the "Cure" is killing the patient

Sadly he's gonna go down as worst governor in modern NH history I suspect......he's given the dems a ton of blundered comments/decisions to work with and they will turn on him any day now

Too bad he abandoned the base when he chucked the constitution out the window the first 2 weeks of march

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Connecticut 6/4:

CTWuhonPCT20200604.jpg
CTWuhon20200604.jpg
CTWuhonCases20200604.jpg
CTWuhonTests20200604.jpg

148 new cases out of 5061 new tests, or 2.9%; seven-day average: 3.9%; fourteen-day average: 5.0%
The fourteen-day average has been below 10% since May 21.
18 new deaths (4007 total)
Hospital beds occupied by virus patients: 373 (down 33) or 4.2% of 8847 regular staffed beds. Last time it was lower was 3/28.

Today the report out of the governor's office included the more complete numbers, which makes it pretty clear who is at risk from the virus - some excerpts:

CTDPHCOVID19summary6042020_Page_05.jpg
CTDPHCOVID19summary6042020_Page_15.jpg

cmcgraw2

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another possible piece of the puzzle - type O blood good, type A blood bad.

"A lead SNP was also identified on chromosome 9 at the ABO blood group locus, and further analysis showed that A-positive participants were at a 45% increased for respiratory failure, while individuals with blood group O were at a 35% decreased risk for respiratory failure."

Waher

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boston Gun & Rifle and Braintree Rifle & Pistol
From Ace of Spades HQ
Questions raised over hydroxychloroquine study which caused WHO to halt trials for Covid-19

Unreliable data: how doubt snowballed over Covid-19 drug research that swept the world

I'm actually kind of flabbergasted, and I'm hard to flabbergast. I'm a conservative, I believe government is corrupt, by it's very nature it can't help but be corrupt, and incompetent too. That's why I think that it should be sharply and ruthlessly limited in its scope and power. You're never going to get enough good people, making good laws, with wholesome intent. Won't happen. Can't, where human beings are involved. The solution is to contain the evil they can do by limiting the range of what they have the power to do. Put it this way: Suppose I tell you that you are going to get hit with a baseball bat. It's going to happen, there is no way to avoid it. The only choice you have is whether you'll be hit by a 5 year old with a whiffle bat, or a MLB .400 hitter with an aluminum bat. Which would you chose?

But this...this is conspiracy theory level stuff. A company, coming out of nowhere, supplying (most likely) false data, and nobody questions it, in fact, governments across the world base policy on it? Without questioning? That's beyond incompetent, it's bordering on malevolent. And why? Who was behind the whole thing? Either the people behind the company were running a grift that got way out of hand, or it was actually done with malevolent intent. And how far is that from Illuminati level paranoia? Stupefying.

cmcgraw2

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone see anything about the wuflu giving you high blood pressure? My BP has been up at least 25 points since February!
Negative. I'd check with your primary care physician if possible. Maybe you got a bad batch of BP meds if you're on them already, or you need to up your dosage, or change the Rx.

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
But we're supposed to trust the politically motivated science.
Actually, the great thing about science is you don't have to trust it, you repeat the experiment and see if you get the
reported results. That's literally how it works. It's self correcting. You will get people who publish erroneous results, who forge them
on purpose, or just plain experiments that aren't repeatable. The results are reviewed, and people try to reproduce them.
Eventually the correct results get separated from the incorrect ones.

The alternative is to accept superstition, anecdote, and ignorance.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually, the great thing about science is you don't have to trust it, you repeat the experiment and see if you get the
reported results. That's literally how it works. It's self correcting. You will get people who publish erroneous results, who forge them
on purpose, or just plain experiments that aren't repeatable. The results are reviewed, and people try to reproduce them.
Eventually the correct results get separated from the incorrect ones.

The alternative is to accept superstition, anecdote, and ignorance.
I know. The whole point was mocking the phrase that they use in supporting their climate change arguments. "You need to trust the science." and "It's settled science."

SteelShooter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Negative. I'd check with your primary care physician if possible. Maybe you got a bad batch of BP meds if you're on them already, or you need to up your dosage, or change the Rx.
No meds, my BP has always been 113/55 ish, at least for the past 30 years. Could be all the shit happening, been like 125/70 for a couple of months, was concerned it was a wuflu offshoot. Could also be my sucky diet catching up to me I guess.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my in laws, who are almost 70, had to go to TX a couple weeks ago for a funeral....shouldn't have gone. My FIL's brother, whose house they stayed at, is in the hospital with Covid. It's been I guess 8 days since my in-laws were in contact with him and they still have no symptoms but my wife is worried until day 14 gets here. 5-6 days appears to be the average incubation period so that's somewhat reassuring. Her uncle that's in the hospital is maybe 50 years old and otherwise healthy but I guess he has a pretty bad case of pneumonia and they have him on oxygen. He felt like crap on Monday and went to the doctor and got a negative Covid test, Went back yesterday feeling really sick and tested positive. Seems the tests are still pretty shitty in terms of accuracy.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Connecticut 6/5:

CTWuhonPCT20200605.jpg
CTWuhon20200605.jpg
CTWuhonCases20200605.jpg
CTWuhonTests20200605.jpg

221 new cases and 5857 new tests, or 3.8% NC/NT. Seven day average: 3.9%. Fourteen day average: 4.8%.
31 new deaths (total 4038).
350 hospitalizations (down 23) to 4.0% of regular staffed beds (8847).

Lamont moved the Phase 2 date up from June 20 to June 17. How very, um, white of him. (Yes, I went there.) [devil]

MaverickNH

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Honestly, ANY analysis of the Swedish virus experience that doesn't specifically address the migrants is illegitimate. 25% of Sweden is "from away."
Previously, a large majority of COVID-19 cases in some of these countries were identified in expatriate or migrant worker communities, but this trend is shifting to some degree. However, in Saudi Arabia, the proportion of cases among Saudi citizens has increased substantially since we last reported on its national epidemic. On May 10, the Saudi Ministry of Health reported that only 25% of COVID-19 cases were among Saudi citizens, compared to 45% on June 3. Through April 26, Bahrain reported approximately 74% of its total COVID-19 cases among expatriate workers. On May 29, however, the Bahraini Ministry of Health reported 300 new cases, including 183 expatriate workers (61%), potentially indicating an increasing proportion among Bahraini citizens. On May 13, Kuwait reported 648 of 751 new cases (86%) among non-citizens, but yesterday, the Kuwaiti Ministry of Health reported only 385 of 562 new cases (69%) in non-citizens.” COVID-19 Updates - June 5

As one might expect, illness eventually spreads from ”them” to “us”. But low numbers altogether vs top COVID countries.

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm type O, phew!
Earlier in I think March China also did a study that indicated the same thing. But then I never heard anymore about it and was wondering about that.
Also an "O" :)

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I dont think the medical community will ever regain the respect they once had

Individual Md's? Sure......the larger community of "Experts"........might as well open a circus cuz thats what they look like

Top Bottom