Another respiratory virus from China (Coronavirus Megathread)

Jason m

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Today was my break out day, I did my 14 days without leaving the yard. Felt great and I am feeling great to. I still feel a tad sluggish around 6-7 at night along with my wife.
But overall being on the recover end of this Kung flu I am looking at life a little different.
Can I still get some mutated form of this thing or just plain old get the flu again, Im thinking yes. But I will do my best to protect you in the world from me and myself from picking it up again, which I for sure don't want to do.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey, everyone, I have to apologize.

I don't even remember posting this.

I got up this morning about quarter past four, went downstairs to make my Aeropress coffee before heading out for my morning ride... and saw I drank a third of that bottle of Japanese whisky I bought at the Costco. That's on top of a late afternoon Q and Hendrick's, and a couple glasses of wine.

I'm letting this thing get to me. That's not good.
NP. You just said what a bunch of us have been thinking. [wink]

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

rep308

NES Member
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Today was my break out day, I did my 14 days without leaving the yard. Felt great and I am feeling great to. I still feel a tad sluggish around 6-7 at night along with my wife.
But overall being on the recover end of this Kung flu I am looking at life a little different.
Can I still get some mutated form of this thing or just plain old get the flu again, Im thinking yes. But I will do my best to protect you in the world from me and myself from picking it up again, which I for sure don't want to do.
You may want to watch this, according Dr Campbell, re-infection is unlikely

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may want to watch this, according Dr Campbell, re-infection is unlikely

Sorry, haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but just looking at the screenshot there where it says "Fragments of the virus can be detected for up to two months" and "Respiratory epithelial cells have a half life of up to 3 months." Does that mean that even after recovered you still have the possibility of spreading the virus for an additional two to six months?

ETA: Watching the video answered my question. Once symptoms are gone, it's unlikely that you can spread it anymore. The virus fragments detected are all dead.

Last edited:

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey, everyone, I have to apologize.

I don't even remember posting this.

I got up this morning about quarter past four, went downstairs to make my Aeropress coffee before heading out for my morning ride... and saw I drank a third of that bottle of Japanese whisky I bought at the Costco. That's on top of a late afternoon Q and Hendrick's, and a couple glasses of wine.

I'm letting this thing get to me. That's not good.
Frankly I dont see a problem with your post......

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just curious.....you ever have a BAD case of Flu?

Wondering how it compares.....subjectively

A friend in a piss hole tyrant state had it.....stated that it was no worse than the flu for her......obviously a small portion of the population has a different reaction

daveyburt

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
more doom - lol
"Chinese doctors are seeing the coronavirus manifest differently among patients in its new cluster of cases in the northeast region compared to the original outbreak in Wuhan, suggesting that the pathogen may be changing in unknown ways and complicating efforts to stamp it out.

Patients found in the northern provinces of Jilin and Heilongjiang appear to carry the virus for a longer period of time and take longer to test negative, Qiu Haibo, one of China’s top critical care doctors, told state television on Tuesday."

China's new outbreak shows signs that coronavirus could be changing | The Japan Times

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
more doom - lol
"Chinese doctors are seeing the coronavirus manifest differently among patients in its new cluster of cases in the northeast region compared to the original outbreak in Wuhan, suggesting that the pathogen may be changing in unknown ways and complicating efforts to stamp it out.

Patients found in the northern provinces of Jilin and Heilongjiang appear to carry the virus for a longer period of time and take longer to test negative, Qiu Haibo, one of China’s top critical care doctors, told state television on Tuesday."

China's new outbreak shows signs that coronavirus could be changing | The Japan Times
To contain this new strain of the virus, I'd say we should nuke them from orbit...but then I remembered how that turned out in Return of the Living Dead.

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more doom - lol

...or China's gaming us again.

Jason m

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Just curious.....you ever have a BAD case of Flu?

Wondering how it compares.....subjectively

A friend in a piss hole tyrant state had it.....stated that it was no worse than the flu for her......obviously a small portion of the population has a different reaction
Yes several times and being with asthma I always take it seriously. This was different, the loss of taste, the diarrhea, the 7 days with a fever in the 99~100 range, the body aches and for me a nagging right shoulder ache/pain that was constant till about last weds.
Plus getting winded very easy after something as simple as walking down to check the mail that's what is weird about this one.

Everyone is different and I am not up playing or down playing it, I had/have it, tested positive and now I hope I have the wind at my back.
I will say if anyone on NES feels they are getting bad and we can figure out how I can donate plasma then I will do what I can to help the NES community or there family's.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
TITLE 18, U.S.C., SECTION 242

Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, ... shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if bodily injury results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include the use, attempted use, or threatened use of a dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

When do the lawsuits begin?

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TITLE 18, U.S.C., SECTION 242

Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, ... shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if bodily injury results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include the use, attempted use, or threatened use of a dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

When do the lawsuits begin?
There is also Article Four, Section Four, Clause One:
The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government
which insofar as a gubernatorial dictatorship is NOT a republican form of government, would authorize DOJ involvement.

Which is pretty much what I told AG Barr:
May 11, 2020

The Hon. William Barr
Attorney General of the United States
U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20530-0001

Mr. Barr:

Earlier in the year, when the Wuhan coronavirus first began spreading across the globe, images out of hard-hit countries like Italy, and unknowns about lethality and contagiousness, made an (over)abundance of caution seem prudent. Experts predicted over a million US deaths and an inundated health care system, with insufficient mechanical ventilators and patients dying untreated in hallways.

None of this has come to pass. In fact, the impact of this pandemic in the US is markedly similar to those in the fairly recent past, including the H2N2 pandemic of 1957-58, or the “Hong Kong Flu” of 1968. In neither case were there widespread shutdowns of entire industry sectors with the associated economic damage. In fact, today they are widely forgotten.

Here in “hard-hit” Connecticut, no more than 1972 out of 8847 staffed hospital beds were ever occupied by virus patients – and that 8847 does not include any of the special facilities hastily built to accommodate an expected surge of cases – and that census has been steadily dropping, 1212 as of today. Beyond virus patients, not many more beds are occupied, due to cancelation of “elective” procedures (often to the detriment of the health of the patient).

Yet many governors – including Ned Lamont – carry on with emergency powers and closures. A state of emergency requires a bona fide emergency to exist, and not merely in the mind of the executive. That was posited to be the possibility of collapsing the health care system under the weight of virus patients, a fear that was not only unfounded but ridiculously so. Yet the closures are in place, creating both an economic and health care (for other than the virus) catastrophe of epic proportions. Neither do these governors show any signs on relenting – they are speaking of keeping restrictions in place for months – nor is there rhyme or reason behind many of these restrictions: they are in many cases textbook capricious and arbitrary.

Article Four, Section 4, Clause 1 of the United States Constitution states: “The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government[…]” A gubernatorial dictatorship is NOT a republican form of government.

Furthermore, the damage done by the response to this virus threatens to eclipse the damage of the virus itself, in spheres personal (untreated illnesses, increases in suicides and substance abuse, etc.) and economic (many businesses simply will not survive being shut down for months). These very personal tragedies, when summed, become not only a national tragedy but a threat to our national security.

Nor is there reason to believe these restrictions are at all effective. There are differences in response in the United States – and internationally – and in many cases those places that took de minimis action are no worse outcome, and in many cases are better off, than those that imposed draconian restrictions.

Therefore, I am imploring you to put the full force of the United States Department of Justice behind compelling these governors – including Ned Lamont – to rescind their executive orders.

Respectfully,

SpaceCritter

Cc: The Hon. Ned Lamont, Governor, State of Connecticut
The Hon. Eric C. Berthel, Connecticut State Senate
The Hon. David K. Labriola, Connecticut House of Representatives
Waterbury Republican-American newspaper, Waterbury, Connecticut
file

Enclosures:
Chart: Connecticut COVID-19 New Deaths and Hospitalization Changes
Chart: Percent of Connecticut Hospital Beds Occupied by COVID-19 Patients
Chart: Daily New COVID-19 Cases in Connecticut

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
How many guys here remember taking a table spoonful of cod liver oil everyday from a brown bottle that had the fishermen on the front holding the cod.
Every time my grandmother would visit. The first thing she'd do is take that darn bottle and a spoon out her purse, and slam one or two spoonfuls down my throat.

Yeah. Know the bottle well. ;)

Waher

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boston Gun & Rifle and Braintree Rifle & Pistol
One of these disinfection systems would be a great way to spread a biological agent.
It was the plot of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six before all the video games came out. At the 2000 Olympics in Sydney eco terrorists funded by billionaires wanted to use a biological weapon spread through cooling misters at the entrances just before all the attendees were to to leave to go home spreading it to every country in the world simultaneously.

Back in 2005-6 some Harvard Medical students did study the viability of using misters like that to decontaminate large groups of people exposed to small pox on airliners, public transit, and whatnot. No idea what their research determined.

Last edited:

SteelShooter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
My brother just told me he got the Chinese flu, someone at his work got it and they all had to be tested on Monday (they have been wearing masks at work for 6 weeks). When my brother went to the doctor they told him he had a common cold, but after testing they said he had the wuflu. He had no symptoms other than feeling stuffy. Now he can't go back to work until he gets a negative test. They told him to wait 72 hours until after his symptoms were gone before he could get tested again, not sure how he does that when he has no symptoms.

Top Bottom