Another respiratory virus from China (Coronavirus Megathread)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a great book a friend of mine gave me about doing business in China. He was a clothing manufacturer, and over his career he watched how clothing went from being manufactured in Puerto Rico to the Philippines to China.

Basically the book said NEVER TO DO BUSINESS IN AND WITH CHINA. It starts off well, they will start by manufacturing your design for less than you can do it here, but all they are doing is using your design to copy, over time they will re engineer it to perfect their own design, cut you out, and sell a cheap, not as good, but close enough to work, version of it. All to sell it against the product you had originally given them to make there.

Once this is over, unless we move manufacturing to other places, india, africa, SE Asia, etc. other places of cheap labor, people will still buy their stuff on Amazon from china. The masses in the US, heck probably most people on this forum need a new pair of ear buds, you go on on amazon to buy not the Bose or Plantronics well made but more expensive pair but whatever $25 pair you see by a company you never heard of that is in china.

The tariff doesn't do crap, you the customer pay for it. It should be a rebate to you, a tax paid by the Chinese coming directly to us!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There was a great book a friend of mine gave me about doing business in China. He was a clothing manufacturer, and over his career he watched how clothing went from being manufactured in Puerto Rico to the Philippines to China.

Basically the book said NEVER TO DO BUSINESS IN AND WITH CHINA. It starts off well, they will start by manufacturing your design for less than you can do it here, but all they are doing is using your design to copy, over time they will re engineer it to perfect their own design, cut you out, and sell a cheap, not as good, but close enough to work, version of it. All to sell it against the product you had originally given them to make there.

Once this is over, unless we move manufacturing to other places, india, africa, SE Asia, etc. other places of cheap labor, people will still buy their stuff on Amazon from china. The masses in the US, heck probably most people on this forum need a new pair of ear buds, you go on on amazon to buy not the Bose or Plantronics well made but more expensive pair but whatever $25 pair you see by a company you never heard of that is in china.

The tariff doesn't do crap, you the customer pay for it. It should be a rebate to you, a tax paid by the Chinese coming directly to us!
What a tariff does is raise the cost to the end consumer, yes

The idea is to make products made elsewhere more competitive. The tariff is designed so that you the buyer won’t buy from China because a Mexican item or Vietnamese item is cheaper.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The idea is to make products made elsewhere more competitive. The tariff is designed so that you the buyer won’t buy from China because a Mexican item or Vietnamese item is cheaper.
I understand exactly what a tariff does, and I am saying that it is not effective as it is not changing the masses behavior. People are still buying the same items because those earbuds currently are only made in China.

The issue was and still is that for US companies to setup manufacturing in china we needed to give china basically the company. You couldn't setup a subsidiary there without it being owned 51% by a Chinese entity. And that meant they then had your IP. So we are literally handing over our IP for everything! Of course that really doesn't make that much difference as if you didn't create a joint venture as required by chinese law, they were just stealing our IP anyway. Most here aren't old enough to remember, but this was going on in the mid 80s with them cloning VHS movies to sell cheaply, then in the 90s it was CDs, maybe you remember getting cloned copies of SW products. Making CDs and VHS tapes 25 and 35 years ago was the top of their technology then, but when they required semi companies to be owned by a chinese partner.

Until that changes, the tariff does crap. Stop building a factory in China and start building one in some other country where partnership means that. In China, partnership means rape and pillage the other company.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I understand exactly what a tariff does, and I am saying that it is not effective as it is not changing the masses behavior. People are still buying the same items because those earbuds currently are only made in China.

The issue was and still is that for US companies to setup manufacturing in china we needed to give china basically the company. You couldn't setup a subsidiary there without it being owned 51% by a Chinese entity. And that meant they then had your IP. So we are literally handing over our IP for everything! Of course that really doesn't make that much difference as if you didn't create a joint venture as required by chinese law, they were just stealing our IP anyway. Most here aren't old enough to remember, but this was going on in the mid 80s with them cloning VHS movies to sell cheaply, then in the 90s it was CDs, maybe you remember getting cloned copies of SW products. Making CDs and VHS tapes 25 and 35 years ago was the top of their technology then, but when they required semi companies to be owned by a chinese partner.

Until that changes, the tariff does crap. Stop building a factory in China and start building one in some other country where partnership means that. In China, partnership means rape and pillage the other company.
Raise the tariff. Make it 5000%. 1000000%. Whatever. It’ll work.

Look. In my business, the objective is to make a profit. Produce a product and sell it for as much as I can. I don’t make money when I sell things. I make money when I buy things.

I buy the components of my products from the cheapest supplier, of quality is equal. Price is just one component but it is an important component.

I’m not buying from someplace other than the lowest priced provider out of the goodness of my heart, especially if it costs me profit. Without profit, we just fold up shop.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Raise the tariff. Make it 5000%. 1000000%. Whatever. It’ll work.

Look. In my business, the objective is to make a profit. Produce a product and sell it for as much as I can. I don’t make money when I sell things. I make money when I buy things.
The problem is, we allowed china to become the only game in town. That was our own stupidity.

IF china is cheapest and best, sure buy SOME from them. But always be looking for a second and third choice. And if china ships doctored good, like dog food with poisonous stuff in it, cross them off the list of “approved” suppliers forever.

Our gov needs to coordinate this. Private industry no longer gives a f*** if the United States shrivels up and blows away (see story of 3M shippingmasks OUT of our country). So change the laws, taxes, import/export controls so USA comes first, not some multinational corporation

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The problem is, we allowed china to become the only game in town. That was our own stupidity.

IF china is cheapest and best, sure buy SOME from them. But always be looking for a second and third choice. And if china ships doctored good, like dog food with poisonous stuff in it, cross them off the list of “approved” suppliers forever.

Our gov needs to coordinate this. Private industry no longer gives a f*** if the United States shrivels up and blows away (see story of 3M shippingmasks OUT of our country). So change the laws, taxes, import/export controls so USA comes first, not some multinational corporation
No doubt that it’ll take time for us to shift production out of China either back home or at least to a non communist totalitarian nation.

Much will change over the next few years.

I think when this is all over, the American people will view China in a much different way.

It won’t be so much ‘buy American’. It’ll be more ‘don’t buy chinese’.

Artifact

NES Member
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I've thought this for several days now. In a real-life Bond/Spectre plot, China could confirm (in the lab) that this shit was as contagious as hell, that it could kill or seriously FUBAR about 5%-15% of people who got infected (with horrific lung damage), and, could make sure that it made its way to the USA for "seeding".

Then, in a large-scale commie version of "assassinate the assassins".......let the 1st whistleblower doctor die; waste 21 million of their own collateral damage/guinea pigs, and thus "cure the virus" at home by eradicating it via a mass "isolate them & let them die" program, and then declare that China "cured it".

I'd put nothing past them.
They certainly made the Hong Kong protests disappear like it never happened before. Not accounting of dissidents that got the “wuflu” and never heard again. Even supplying the world with N95 masks. How to go from a villain to a hero???? Chinaaaa, hold my beer

HARRYM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm afraid that's not the case. Tariffs are an attempt to level the playing field. The overseas goods are already marked up and by exploiting cheap labor and escaping other rules the markups routinely exceed 300% or more. They pay people 50cents an hr to make a coat and bring that coat here for 200 or more dollars. If that same coat was priced at say 60 bucks these businesses would have a legit complaint against tariffs. The tariffs are aimed at greed. Heck, my company is thrilled to make even 30% on an item.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm afraid that's not the case. Tariffs are an attempt to level the playing field. The overseas goods are already marked up and by exploiting cheap labor and escaping other rules the markups routinely exceed 300% or more. They pay people 50cents an hr to make a coat and bring that coat here for 200 or more dollars. If that same coat was priced at say 60 bucks these businesses would have a legit complaint against tariffs. The tariffs are aimed at greed. Heck, my company is thrilled to make even 30% on an item.
Beg to differ. You’re right that tariffs CAN be used to level the playing field. But that’s just a matter of how high a tariff you place on a good. They could be set lower to raise tax revenue, meaning that you’re not making it unprofitable you’re just taking some of the companies profits and placing it in government coffers.

You can also raise tariffs very high, punitively high, so that nobody would ever buy the product.

Think of the cigarette tax. The tax is in place to deter people from smoking, so they say. But in reality, if they really wanted to end smoking, just put a $10000 tax per pack tax on. yes, there would be a black market, but most people wouldn’t be able to afford smoking and thus quit. Instead, the cigarette tax is placed to collect revenue for the state. Not to end smoking.

Tariffs are just a tax. And they can be used for more than just ‘leveling the field’.

Most times actually, when tariffs are erected, its to protect a homegrown industry. And the tariff is not being erected to level the playing field at all.

McReef

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Then China will just charge you more, which you will get back in your rebate, which equals zero difference. Interesting idea though.

You’re spot on with the rest of your post. I like where your head is at.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
BTW, remember a few weeks ago in this thread how there were

It was just a few weeks ago in this thread where there were those trashing the Italian medical system and how crappy it was and how that can never be the case with our system....

Virus doesn't care about politics.
The italian medical system IS shitty

Individual Dr's, Nurses and other providers are doing a really difficult/shitty job and putting their arses on the line

Same is the case for the US.....Md's, Nurses, PA's and everyone else is doing a difficult/shitty job that has more risk than it should

But understand that the providers above only enter into the equasion once a person is already sick....so all they can and do alter the OUTCOMES of sick people but they have little/NO influence over the prevalence/rate of spread of the disease in the broader population

What burn me and many others is that the public and the md's, nurses, pa's and others have all be let down/betrayed and I would argue wholesale f***ed in the arse by hospital administrations/politicians and other "medical industrial complex" experts calling the shots

Its absolutely fooking inexcusable....I would argue NEGLIGENT on the part of the administrators to fail to stockpile PPE/Masks......they've left these Dr's, PA's, Nurses etc swinging in the wind with shitty policies to not issue PPE to everyone dealing with patients....cuz everyone showing up at hospitals is presumed to have Wu Flu.....one only needs to look at the number of front line healthcare folks that are testing positive for proof of this and news reports that they have no PPE......

These same administrative shitbags let the entire public down by being unprepared as well.....the BS conspiracy to hoard commercial supplies when they failed to properly stock hospital grade shit and to do so telling the american public to NOT wear masks......again....complete, total negligence.....worse than that.....MALICE.....people are sick and dead because of this.

if these shit bag policy experts had followed the lead of SK/Taiwan/Japan and recommended universal mask/face covering from day one and limited interaction the way supermarkets are doing NOW then the rate of transmission would be a fraction of what it is today......the supermarket stampedes of the week of 3/10 were essentially chicken pox parties and is responsible for the vast majority of cases/transmissions we see today as one person gets it due to stampede then it rips thru an entire family/household

The failure to prepare has resulted in Md's being forced to ration life saving resources.....

When you look at infectious disease like seasonal flu....there are lots of things that influence how many people get sick (sanitation, nutrition, vacccinations etc) but once a person is sick.....its "heath care" and medicine that influences outcomes (pos/neg) for people

This is part and parcel to why the US has on average a flu/pnumonia death rate around 14/100k and why parts of africa have a death rate well over 200/100k population

So yea.....lots of deaths on the hands of "administrators" and politicians for their negligence/f*** ups

In other news.....the same "administrators" and politicians appear to be trying to salvage their failing predictions of doom and massive fatality rates....

Like they did it Italy.....US hospitals are now reporting every/any death as a Wu Flu death regardless of test/absence of test......this will push up the fatality rate with tons of inaccurate/false reports

Thank you to all the Md's, PA's, Nurses and others on the "front lines"....

We owe it to these people and all the people that have died/gotten sick to make sure hospital administrators/health care policy "experts" and politicians are held accountable so this bullshit doesnt happen again

Last edited:

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Article by UCSF researcher in Washington Post suggests use of masks is very effective to prevent spread of virus.
Says it's like a poor man's vaccine; the masks are mainly useful to prevent asymptomatic people from spraying
saliva on others.

The chart from South Korea shows a huge cutoff in transmission when they started wearing masks for
everyone, not just people with symptoms.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/03/28/masks-all-coronavirus/

View attachment 344953
Isnt that exactly the dead horse/issue that a couple of us/other sources have been flogging for a couple months now?

And just the other day the CDC etc started sprinting away from"no mask" advice.......because it was no longer politically tenable.....

Its so nice that some of these policy experts getting around to kicking their keen perception of the obvious into gear.

Fook....SK, Taiwan, Japan and others have had near universal mask use all along....and they cram people into subways/public transport so no social distancing in many/most cases since its unpossible....and they've been doing this for the last 3 decades across H1N1 and a pile of other outbreaks, pandemics for at least 30 years

In other news another affirmation of what most have stated/observed/suspected........prevalence of Wu Flu is a LOT more pervasive than so called "Experts" have been trying to terrorize people with......

Pervasive infection rate = fatality rate thats consistent/in ball park with seasonal flu.....a virulent fast moving flu like disease but a fatality rate in same ball park

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
One big problem with US companies isn't the cheap labor, it's pissing away money due to shitty management and corruption.

Bose ... I have lots of stories, but basically these people piss away money like there is no tomorrow, a lot like many other US companies. Randstadt (recruiting firm) has an office there and all hires go through them. They are not recruiting though, I shit you not, I have a few job leads from Indian companies that subcontract to each other, then subcontract to Randstadt who subcontracts to Bose. My guess is Randstadt buys hookers and blow to Bose execs who keep them on. At each level, every middle man takes their cut so their HR cost must be astronomical, never mind that their hiring patterns are worse than a severe case of bipolar schizo. That alone could lover their cost enough to compete with China, but they won't do it.

TLB

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One big problem with US companies isn't the cheap labor, it's pissing away money due to shitty management and corruption.

Bose ... I have lots of stories, but basically these people piss away money like there is no tomorrow, a lot like many other US companies. Randstadt (recruiting firm) has an office there and all hires go through them. They are not recruiting though, I shit you not, I have a few job leads from Indian companies that subcontract to each other, then subcontract to Randstadt who subcontracts to Bose. My guess is Randstadt buys hookers and blow to Bose execs who keep them on. At each level, every middle man takes their cut so their HR cost must be astronomical, never mind that their hiring patterns are worse than a severe case of bipolar schizo. That alone could lover their cost enough to compete with China, but they won't do it.
Bose?
No highs, no lows, must be Bose.

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The italian medical system IS shitty

Individual Dr's, Nurses and other providers are doing a really difficult/shitty job and putting their arses on the line

Same is the case for the US.....Md's, Nurses, PA's and everyone else is doing a difficult/shitty job that has more risk than it should

But understand that the providers above only enter into the equasion once a person is already sick....so all they can and do alter the OUTCOMES of sick people but they have little/NO influence over the prevalence/rate of spread of the disease in the broader population

What burn me and many others is that the public and the md's, nurses, pa's and others have all be let down/betrayed and I would argue wholesale f***ed in the arse by hospital administrations/politicians and other "medical industrial complex" experts calling the shots

Its absolutely fooking inexcusable....I would argue NEGLIGENT on the part of the administrators to fail to stockpile PPE/Masks......they've left these Dr's, PA's, Nurses etc swinging in the wind with shitty policies to not issue PPE to everyone dealing with patients....cuz everyone showing up at hospitals is presumed to have Wu Flu.....one only needs to look at the number of front line healthcare folks that are testing positive for proof of this and news reports that they have no PPE......

These same administrative shitbags let the entire public down by being unprepared as well.....the BS conspiracy to hoard commercial supplies when they failed to properly stock hospital grade shit and to do so telling the american public to NOT wear masks......again....complete, total negligence.....worse than that.....MALICE.....people are sick and dead because of this.

if these shit bag policy experts had followed the lead of SK/Taiwan/Japan and recommended universal mask/face covering from day one and limited interaction the way supermarkets are doing NOW then the rate of transmission would be a fraction of what it is today......the supermarket stampedes of the week of 3/10 were essentially chicken pox parties and is responsible for the vast majority of cases/transmissions we see today as one person gets it due to stampede then it rips thru an entire family/household

The failure to prepare has resulted in Md's being forced to ration life saving resources.....

When you look at infectious disease like seasonal flu....there are lots of things that influence how many people get sick (sanitation, nutrition, vacccinations etc) but once a person is sick.....its "heath care" and medicine that influences outcomes (pos/neg) for people

This is part and parcel to why the US has on average a flu/pnumonia death rate around 14/100k and why parts of africa have a death rate well over 200/100k population

So yea.....lots of deaths on the hands of "administrators" and politicians for their negligence/f*** ups

In other news.....the same "administrators" and politicians appear to be trying to salvage their failing predictions of doom and massive fatality rates....

Like they did it Italy.....US hospitals are now reporting every/any death as a Wu Flu death regardless of test/absence of test......this will push up the fatality rate with tons of inaccurate/false reports

Thank you to all the Md's, PA's, Nurses and others on the "front lines"....

We owe it to these people and all the people that have died/gotten sick to make sure hospital administrators/health care policy "experts" and politicians are held accountable so this bullshit doesnt happen again
Please, let's stop this never ending quest for heroes! Myself, my wife and few of our kids are on "the frontline" everyday. We are not heroes. We are just Average Joes trying to survive in the hostile environment created by politicians and a$$holes everyone has voted for.

Instead of looking for so called heroes; STOP MAKING THEM!

You will stop making them, if you will be brave enough and point out what is wrong instead of this tired $ht of WE ARE IN IT TOGETHER. No, we are not! If we would have enough masks and protective gear we can have classes, we can work, ....... Sitting home is just another prep for an economic disaster. Let's not forget that Londoners and as a matter of fact many other European citizens were working when bombs were falling. We would demand more bunkers from our incompetent .gov

What the hell happened to America? We are all heroes. Heroes are those who are battling cancer, heroes are those who are treating sick people, heroes are soldiers our politicians sent to $holes to die just because they did not figure out what to do with that $hole next. How about not doing things? How about that? Stop policing the entire world, stop chasing idiots in caves, stop importing and supporting illegals,......There are plenty of things we, as a country, should stop doing immediately. We are no longer important, we are wounded, tired and not united. Let's work on our country without creating heroes!

I do not want to be a hero. I was planning, I was buying, I was training my family and our staff for hard times, we saved, we made orders...... I was sharing with you my concerns on this thread and on Trump's thread. And now some kind of f-up politician will close our businesses, and sent boots to pick up supplies they had stolen or failed to order.

This is not America full of heroes but America full of incompetent lazy butts ready to take from anybody else and care less.

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Bose?
No highs, no lows, must be Bose.
yeah, not to mention many others. US Pharma Cos keep crying about their costs ... they charge as much as they can, nothing to do with their cost or R&D. I worked at one, they have been charging x10 what they could just because they could for one specific, common drug, a generic. These are words of their execs, not mine. They also piss away money like crazy. Just one "manager" hire basically pissed away close to a million, running a project into the ground. No consequences, still doing damage.

US management is overpaid and over appreciated.

rkwjunior

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0

He he line up serfs..Virus huh...Sure whatever you say.
Nothing better to do but troll...lol.
Oh....you mean that just like Wu Flu....the regular flu regularly results in bronchitis/pneumonia?

I've posted this before.....but its not a shocker that statistics for Flu/Pnuemonia are tabulated together......because they go hand in hand......just like Wu Flu and Pneumonia

The so called experts/policy makers here in the US have been wrong every fooking step of the way

Here in NH the models that gov used to justify unconstitutional shut down of economy is so FUBAR that they over estimated something like 400% so far.......its so bad that lakes regional hospital just furloughed 500 people

So yea......the comparison between seasonal flu and Wu Flu is a sound one
It's not a sound one, not even a little bit.
Nobody has immunity to Covid, NOBODY, not one person on the face of the earth, including the almighty JPK. And if your exposed, you will get it, its inevitable, no immunity.
The results of contracting CoVid, meaning, how severe the virus effects people differently, literally depends on the health of the individual, and how their body reacts. If its mild, it's not due to immunity, it's pure luck, literally.
Humans have developed immunity to influenza over decades of time, the influenza death rates are significantly lower, due to this long term immunity. If you get the flu the severity has do to with your health but also the amount of immunity you've compiled over the years of exposure in ones lifetime.
If 2 people get the seasonal flue. One may be mild due to the amount of immunity theyve built up. The other may not feel anything, no symptoms, due to the higher amount of immunity.
I know it's hard to swallow, but this is a flu the planet has NEVER, seen.
This virus needs to make its run through the planet for people to build any immunity, but this comes with a much higher risk, since nobody has built up immunity at all the severity and death rates are higher. FACT.
Screenshot_20200405-134640_Chrome.jpg
Just look at the amount of contracted illnesses vs deaths.
10's of millions.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So at thee hospitals. There are more infected staff than patients?

Upside of note is, that may mean that the majority of the staff will be recovered with presumed immunity when Boston spikes.
Yes......but if you have a high number of infected staff.....you need to be sure that the only people they have contact with are Wu Flu confirmed patients......

The other side of that is what happens when wu flu pos staff go home to families/domestic partners.......thats going to be a significant source of transmission if such a large number of staff are in fact pos and infectious

Waher

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boston Gun & Rifle and Braintree Rifle & Pistol

View: https://twitter.com/GordonGChang/status/1246450490050830337

Last edited:

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Nobody has immunity to Covid, NOBODY, not one person on the face of the earth, including the almighty JPK. And if your exposed, you will get it, its inevitable, no immunity.
The results of contracting CoVid, meaning, how severe the virus effects people differently, literally depends on the health of the individual, and how their body reacts. If its mild, it's not due to immunity, it's pure luck, literally.
Humans have developed immunity to influenza over decades of time, the influenza death rates are significantly lower, due to this long term immunity. If you get the flu the severity has do to with your health but also the amount of immunity you've compiled over the years of exposure in ones lifetime.
If 2 people get the seasonal flue. One may be mild due to the amount of immunity theyve built up. The other may not feel anything, no symptoms, due to the higher amount of immunity.
This virus needs to make its run through the planet for people to build any immunity, but this comes with a much higher risk, since nobody has built up immunity at all the severity and death rates are higher. FACT.
10's of millions.
Actually its NOT a fact.....not by a long shot

Not everyone thats exposed contracts Wu Flu......you have to be exposed in a very specific manner......

Its also not pure luck.....people that take precautions (mask, hand washing, santary habits, etc) contract it at rates way below people that dont......and the people who DO contract it tend to ALMOST always people with underlying issues as well as people that are older

The same flu doesnt come around every year......its variable and it mutates.....

If "immunity" from year to year were a major/significan factor then you wouldnt see a seasonal flu/death rate in africa/other parts of the world each year that exceeded 200/100k population while death rates in the US hover around 14/100k (with variability).

If "immunity" from year to year were a major/significant factor then we wouldnt need a vaccine each and every year.....and that vaccine would be a lot more effective each year.......iirc it had a fail rate of over 40% this year because they "Guess" about which strains to include in the vaccine

Africa is a perfect refutation of your assertions about immunity from year to year in the population wrt flu......

cmcgraw2

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$6.5 tril? Is pocket change. Freedom Watch does 20 -

Some info on alleged 2019 spread to Italy buried in this story.

HARRYM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 345148
10's of millions.
Around 50 million people died between 1918-1919 with that bout of influenza.

Top Bottom