Another respiratory virus from China (Coronavirus Megathread)

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
But, how the body reacts to the medicine is probably where the catch is. It's probably not attacking the virus itself, but the body is reacting and in that reaction, killing the virus. The assumption is that it's really happening.
The Australian researchers reported that Ivermectin inhibited viral activity in vitro, i.e. in a test tube and without human immune response.

rkwjunior

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
This is a good point. No masks, no gloves=limited number of people in the store. Masks and gloves=unlimited entry. But we're doing it backwards.:(
You need both for the best chances to limiting spread..
I'm not sure why it has to be one or the other and not both?. Is it too much for people to handle?
God forbid daddy takes away the ipad for too long.

rkwjunior

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Doctors and nurses get exposed to huge volumes of the virus, but a trip to the grocery store, the only way you're likely to get infected is if someone coughs at close range and you're not wearing a mask. Yes, in theory a sick person could touch something, and you touch it shortly after, and touch your face, but that's low risk and if you wash your hands, probably close to zero.
Agreed. But that's just surfaces.
Peoples breath has droplets, talking releases minute droplets. The mask eliminates droplets getting into the air. It takes several minutes or more for the droplets to dissipate or finally hit the ground or whatever else is around. These things or on the microscopic scale, they probably float for hours. Technically it's not "airborne" but it can be for a good while.
That's why maintaining a distance and trying to eliminate contact is the most effective.
Using a mask in conjunction with "social distancing" is the best combination.

Last edited:

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
You need both for the best chances to limiting spread..
I'm not sure why it has to be one or the other and not both?. Is it too much for people to handle?
God forbid daddy takes away the ipad for too long.
Yeah I know but that isnt how it played out. What I was saying is when pretty much no one was wearing ppe in public there were no limits on how many people were let in a store at any one time. Now that more people are taking things more seriously, we're setting limits.

Limits AND ppe would limit the spread now that we're where we're at, but if people adopted ppe quicker at the beginning, we couldve kept places open (with no limits) and had limited spread as seen in SK, Japan and Taiwan.

rkwjunior

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Yeah I know but that isnt how it played out. What I was saying is when pretty much no one was wearing ppe in public there were no limits on how many people were let in a store at any one time. Now that more people are taking things more seriously, we're setting limits.

Limits AND ppe would limit the spread now that we're where we're at, but if people adopted ppe quicker at the beginning, we couldve kept places open (with no limits) and had limited spread as seen in SK, Japan and Taiwan.
We should have done both in the very beginning, agreed. But this doesn't mean give up on both at this time, it's still worth the effort if infected zombies are still out walking around, which there are.

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
We should have done both in the very beginning, agreed. But this doesn't mean give up on both at this time, it's still worth the effort if infected zombies are still out walking around, which there are.
We should be encouraging ppe, even if its improvised. At risk people should be encouraged to stay out of crowds (older people and people with health problems). I dont think that we should be limiting how many people are allowed in a supermarket for instance.

rkwjunior

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
We should be encouraging ppe, even if its improvised. At risk people should be encouraged to stay out of crowds (older people and people with health problems). I dont think that we should be limiting how many people are allowed in a supermarket for instance.
Supermarkets are a hotbed. Everyone needs food. If it eliminates me getting into contact with a zombie, I can deal with it for a little while till this crap settles.
You'll be ok, it's not forever.

djbradles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a heads up on being comfortable with long term mask usage guys.

-small pieces of gauze over ears
-longer straps locked in behind head/neck with a paper clip
-straps looped over dual Princess Leah buns or dual man buns if ya got ‘em
-sew buttons on hats/head covers/or bouffants to hold the straps

I can tell you the elastics will seriously irritate and may even cause skin breakdown on the top of your ears. Be safe.

Lowbird

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up on being comfortable with long term mask usage guys.

-small pieces of gauze over ears
-longer straps locked in behind head/neck with a paper clip
-straps looped over dual Princess Leah buns or dual man buns if ya got ‘em
-sew buttons on hats/head covers/or bouffants to hold the straps

I can tell you the elastics will seriously irritate and may even cause skin breakdown on the top of your ears. Be safe.
Had forgotten about the paper clip thing thanks !!

cmcgraw2

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is inconvenient......

No reason to be suspicious,

From 2 yrs. ago:

Attachments

• Sad
Reactions: jpk

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Article by UCSF researcher in Washington Post suggests use of masks is very effective to prevent spread of virus.
Says it's like a poor man's vaccine; the masks are mainly useful to prevent asymptomatic people from spraying
saliva on others.

The chart from South Korea shows a huge cutoff in transmission when they started wearing masks for
everyone, not just people with symptoms.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/03/28/masks-all-coronavirus/

screenshot_139.png

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0

If FEMA etc was less retarded and had a (reasonable) supply of PPE to hand out (they could distribute it through national guard guys setting up PPE stations in school parking lots or something) they could have probably done the "no mass gathering" thing and probably limited the economic carnage to a third of what it is currently. And probably gotten similar
results. Part of the problem with the "everyone wear PPE" idea is there simply isn't enough of it out there. That's why some of the "masks dont do anything" doctors bloviated in the beginning to try to get people to stop sucking it up, but I think that was futile BS. By the time they were preaching that it was already gone. Cleaned out. Even most of us here that had masks probably only got one because we had something in the basement. By the time most people knew this was going shithouse, the masks had already long been cleaned out of the stores. The masks were gone long before international flights got shut down!

-Mike

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s one lemur short of a conspiracy...

• Gorillas: a band
  • Hippopotami: a bloat
  • Hyenas: a cackle
  • Jaguars: a shadow
  • Jellyfish: a smack
  • Kangaroos: a troop or mob
  • Lemurs: a conspiracy
  • Leopards: a leap
  • Lions: a pride
  • Moles: a labor
  • Monkeys: a barrel or troop
You forgot: a murder of crows.

[grin]

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The scientific paper does not list the dosage for humans because it was not tested on humans yet.
For dogs 12 pack for 51-100lbs dog is $97.99.

What would you guess? 2 dosages for a man?

Is side effect a random barking on people?
and trying to hump any nearby tree....for guys that is

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some more info on Ivermectin as a coronavirus cure.

Well, we may have wrecked our economy, but at least we have the time to find these already approved medicines that seem to work on it.

Now maybe they will start testing other drugs and see which ones might be on standby for the next one.

Top Bottom