Another respiratory virus from China (Coronavirus Megathread)

rkwjunior

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
You can't trust any PTB to get things done or even make sense.

Looking at the "everyone wear a mask" suggestion as an example, When few to no people were wearing masks you could just go the store and get your stuff. If you were smart you tried to pick a slow time to go. Now that nearly everyone will be wearing masks (because the sheeple needed to be told to take precautions) and they start limiting how many people can go in the store.

Totally ass backwards thinking.
Wearing masks isnt a sure thing. That's the problem. Masks give people the impression they are 100% protected and cant spread it or contract it, which is completely wrong.
All the same measures should still be taken in conjunction with wearing a mask.
Look at the drs and nurses, covering every inch of skin, that's truly the only way to be 100% protected, other than avoiding human contact.
So as sheeple, the only thing we can do is wear a mask and limit contact.
At this point, the supermarkets is where everyone has to go at some point.

Last edited:

Waher

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boston Gun & Rifle and Braintree Rifle & Pistol
Wearing masks isnt a sure thing. That's the problem. Masks give people the impression they are 100% protected and cant spread it or contract it, which is completely wrong.
The CDC and Task Force needs to plainly state that masks can give a false sense of security and that people need to keep following the other guidelines. They paraphrase this, but fail to state the "false sense of security" portion. There are too many dumb people that put on an ill fitting filthy mask used 50 times and touch/pick/rub everything with their filthy unwashed hands.

Last edited:

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dear Editor,

Yes, I look older than 45. I need a haircut, a beard trim and something done to the bushes above my eyes. But, this has been a crazy last 18 days. I share my story not for sympathy, but so that others can see what is going on out there and that you need to be your own advocate in order to keep yourself, your family and others safe from COVID.

It started with body aches, the type that felt like you just did a full body workout, but, let’s be honest, does it look like I’ve done a full-body workout lately? The aches remained, no other symptoms. I went to work. I work with immunocompromised patients who are kidney transplant recipients. Great! I saw two patients face-to-face less than 7 days after their transplants, when they were most immunosuppressed. Body aches continued at home for 3 days. I told Betsy I had to be coming down with something, but had no other symptoms (this was over a weekend). On Monday, I was to go to the hospital to have a discussion on whether or not I could work from home, as long as I was available for questions, clinical consults and virtual visits with patients. I had a low grade fever Monday morning and called into our meetings for work. I was to stay and work from home indefinitely and manage my patient load via computer, cellphone and ZOOM. Phew! At least I was not going to the hospital anymore. I self-quarantined myself into one section of the house, away from Betsy and the kids. Used one bathroom. We are fortunate, we have a house big enough to accommodate this and allow me to separate myself from my family. This sucks! I am supposed to protect my family from this shit, but I brought it home and there I was releasing something that could potentially infect my family. Great dad!

My hospital sent out lots of emails instructing those with symptoms (now body aches, fever and loss of smell – not such a bad thing being cooped up in the house with 2 boys, myself and 2 bulldogs!) to call occupational health and wait for instructions. Occupational health never picked up because they were inundated by phone calls. I reached out to my PCP and he helped to organize me to get a COVID test. Two days later I went into the hospital to the outdoor tent set up to test at risk individuals. One nurse, two nasal swabs, a thank you for her service and I was on my way. Negative results for flu A and B and other common viral pathogens came back right away, but I was told to expect to wait 72 hours for COVID results. Lots of Tylenol for the fevers, but it did not touch the body aches. I know I am not supposed to take Ibuprofen for fear of worsening respiratory symptoms, but it’s the only thing that touched the body aches. Thursday night was the worst. I woke up at 4 am and all my large joints (knees, hips, shoulders) ached. I couldn’t get back to sleep. That morning as I walked down the stairs, slowly, Betsy was horrified that it hurt that much to move.

I am now looking myself up in the hospital computer system to see my test results and nothing. Four days had passed and nothing. Sunday morning, my fever broke. Sunday afternoon, the aches and pains went away. Thank God! Sunday night, my COVID test results come back negative. WTF! I was feeling better, but some respiratory symptoms set in with a cough and my chest feeling congested. What could this be if not COVID? Tuesday night I could not stop coughing, sitting bolt upright in bed to help me breath. The only time I felt like I lost my cool through out this whole thing. I was not sick enough to warrant a trip to the hospital, but I felt if this got worse, I might have to get to the ED. By Wednesday morning I felt much better, the cough was less, but I was mentally in a fog. Thursday, feeling much better, I fulfilled my obligation to the National Kidney Foundation, and gave an online lecture that was supposed to take place in New Orleans, LA, but was put online due to COVID. I was a little out of it, but did not do too bad. I discharged a patient from the hospital, virtually, that day. I felt completely out of it with him. That sucks! They expect me to make them feel more comfortable with their medications, I could not really concentrate. Friday, feeling better still, the cough is mostly gone, but I still cannot smell. I gave 2 lectures to ExpressScripts. The first was a disaster, as there were a ton of technical difficulties, including me dropping an F-bomb when I thought my phone dropped the conference call again. It did not, but my participants enjoyed the distraction (at least that is what they told me). The second lecture was much better. Did 2 virtual discharges early Friday afternoon. I felt like I did much better. Joined a conference call from work and one of our ID colleagues let us know how bad things were. Talking with colleagues, I find out my COVID test had a 30% false negative rate. I bet I have it. I’m willing to bet any sum, but the hospital says I’m negative and I am just glad I am feeling better.

Betsy went to work this past weekend. 7 am to 7:30 pm Saturday and Sunday. She nursed me back to health during my self-quarantine, took care of the dogs and boys, and never cooked so much in her life. Now, she gets to leave the house and go work on a COVID floor at the hospital. Awesome! Poor girl can’t catch a break. Feeling better, I went to pick up food at two local eateries, and went to the grocery store. I did a lot of yard work on Saturday, the first day I felt human. But, I still can’t smell, but its getting better.

Sunday night we get a call at the house from a number we don’t recognize. We let it go to voicemail. No message. Another telemarketer. Now a call to my cellphone. It’s BWH. Because of the high false negative rate of my test, they re-ran my nasal swab with a new test. I am now positive. I f***ing knew it! It doesn’t change anything. I am feeling better, the sense of smell is slowly coming back. f***, it does matter! I was told I was negative and went to the grocery store and two local restaurants. I am such an ASS!!

Anyway, Betsy and the kids have no symptoms. My sense of smell is slowly coming back. I need to re-test once my sense of smell is fully back. And I continue my self-quarantine. Trying to reconcile, in my head, that I did not realize I was infected when I exposed patients and others. Call it Catholic guilt, but I’m sure I could have done better. In the end, I am grateful that I had mild symptoms and did not add to the burden in the hospital. I am incredibly grateful for my family, who were awesome through all of this and are still symptom free.

I hear stories from colleagues that the hospitals are getting worse. This is real. I am very fortunate to have not ended up in the hospital, or ICU or, worst-case, on a ventilator. Praying for all COVID patients and healthcare workers around the world. Stay safe!

Sincerely,

Steven Gabardi

Jason Flare

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Look at the drs and nurses, covering every inch of skin, that's truly the only way to be 100% protected, other than avoiding human contact.
I agree but will take this one step further.

The best way to be protected is to wear the same protective equipment and follow the procedures of a level 4 bio lab.

And evidently that is not entirely without risk.

Last edited:

rkwjunior

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
The CDC and Task Force needs to plainly state that masks can give a false sense of security and that people need to keep following the other guidelines. They paraphrase this, but fail to state the "false sense of security" portion. There are too many dumb people that put on an ill fitting filthy mask used 50 times and touch/pick/rub everything with this filthy hand ass wiping unwashed hands.
I have heard it said many times. I'm projecting what I've heard. People need to stay informed but not go crazy.
But there will always be stubborn people who think it's an ordinary flu and dont give a rats ass about anyone but themselves.
I've only recently heard talk about re thinking the mask situation. Perhaps they are working on making a more clear announcement? Who knows.
The dumb and the stubborn are the ones not helping the issue. Some people you can never get through to.

Waher

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last I had heard Sweden was taking practically no precautions. Has that changed?
They are starting to roll out the same precautions as the rest of Europe and they started testing again after stopping mid March
The number of Swedish deaths rose to 373 on Saturday, up 12% from Friday. That brings the rate per million in Scandinavia’s biggest economy to 36, compared with 29 in Denmark and 9 in Norway, where much tougher lockdowns are in place.

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The CDC and Task Force needs to plainly state that masks can give a false sense of security and that people need to keep following the other guidelines. They paraphrase this, but fail to state the "false sense of security" portion. There are too many dumb people that put on an ill fitting filthy mask used 50 times and touch/pick/rub everything with their filthy unwashed hands.
Even if 50% go home and pick their nose and rub their eyes with their unwashed hands they will be mostly containing their own possibly contaminated droplets while in the store. That was my only point. Now that more individual precautions are being taken less people are allowed in the store when It probably should be the opposite with limits in place before everyone started wearing masks. Anything those people touch can be wiped down later.

No one here has ever said masks are 100% effective. It's all about reducing risk not eliminating it because that is not possible.

Last edited:

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but my wife made me laugh this morning saying so if the government wants everyone wearing masks in stores, they're making it real easy for the stick up kids to rob them all. And it also sets back the .gov's facial recognition plans
If I'm a petty criminal, I want to stay out of jails and hospitals. They're probably waiting for handouts.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Doctors and nurses get exposed to huge volumes of the virus, but a trip to the grocery store, the only way you're likely to get infected is if someone coughs at close range and you're not wearing a mask. Yes, in theory a sick person could touch something, and you touch it shortly after, and touch your face, but that's low risk and if you wash your hands, probably close to zero.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, what ever happened to the whole drive through idea of testing that Trump touted a few weeks ago?

This was supposed to be some large-scale plan that was going to revolutionize everything.

Where are the other ones? What happened to this initiative???????

Waher

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what ever happened to the whole drive through idea of testing that Trump touted a few weeks ago?

This was supposed to be some large-scale plan that was going to revolutionize everything.

Limited quantities of PPE and the ability of testing labs to keep up has been an issue. The new 5-15 minute Abbot tests will change that as the kits and machines to run those tests will change things as they become available.

rkwjunior

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Even if 50% go home and pick their nose and rub their eyes with their unwashed hands they will be mostly containing their own possibly contaminated droplets while in the store. That was my only point. Now that more individual precautions are being taken less people are allowed in the store when It probably should be the opposite with limits in place before everyone started wearing masks. Anything those people touch can be wiped down later.

No one here has ever said masks are 100% effective. It's all about reducing risk not eliminating it because that is not possible.
It's not just about surfaces. It's as simple as crossing paths and walking though peoples breath.
And good luck cleaning all the surfaces at places like home depot and market basket. Yes, every precaution helps, but limiting human interaction is the biggest.
Dropping one precautionary measure for another wont do is any good.
Combining precautionary measures, while maybe initially you think it's too late, is the best option. The zombies are still out there spreading.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The closest to me: Waterbury CT. Last I knew you DO need a script from your doc, but I'm betting at this point that could be done via remote.

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0

This is a good point. No masks, no gloves=limited number of people in the store. Masks and gloves=unlimited entry. But we're doing it backwards.:(

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's not just about surfaces. It's as simple as crossing paths and walking though peoples breath.
And good luck cleaning all the surfaces at places like home depot and market basket. Yes, every precaution helps, but limiting human interaction is the biggest.
Dropping one precautionary measure for another wont do is any good.
Combining precautionary measures, while maybe initially you think it's too late, is the best option. The zombies are still out there spreading.
So, how about people ordering stuff online? Is there any means or mechanism for making sure your stuff is non-contaminated? How about restaurants and take-out? Did they incorporate the corona virus protocols into the ever-so-rigid "SAFE SERVE" laws? If not, why t.f. not????

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
China intends to win the Pandemic World War:

But intentionally begun or not, now that PWW1 is underway, Communist China plans to win it. By March of 2020 they had totally sealed their borders to inward travel without strictly scrutinized visas with a high rejection rate, followed by a very harsh 2+ week quarantine under CCP control at the traveler’s expense. Now China has little to worry about from a new phase of the pandemic that they could launch against the West.

In this emerging global environment, an even deadlier Covid-20 would become a nearly ideal weapon of mass destruction, because unlike nuclear-tipped ICBMs, its Chinese origins would be deniable and unprovable. The Chinese Communist Party would claim that Covid-20 was a natural mutation that sprang up in the West. They would be able sit back and watch while America and Europe were destroyed as economic and military powers, and Africa and many other Third World cities and nations were laid prostate and thus open for rapid Chinese colonization.

For example: Guayaquil, Ecuador is one of a handful of major seaports on the west coast of South America, and it has the best location and by far the largest natural harbor. Guayaquil touts itself as the main port city and gateway to the Pacific Rim, including China. Now Coronavirus is breaking out in Guayaquil at about the same pace it did in Milan a month ago, but Ecuador does not have a slim fraction of Italy’s medical capacity to deal with it. In a month, Guayaquil might be a medical catastrophe, and America will be in no position to send help.

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Italy says 681 people have died in the previous 24 hours, marking the first time in over a week that a daily fatality rate has gone below 700. The country also reported its first-ever drop in coronavirus patients needing intensive care. The number now stands at 3,994, or 74 fewer than the day before.

NES Member
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Help me with this one. In some countries you would get shot dead for doing this? This needs to be displayed on the nightly task force newscast.
DSC04050.JPG
See: Robert Kraft uses Patriots plane to get 1.2 million masks / Landing in Boston Post 82/93

Last edited:

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Italy says 681 people have died in the previous 24 hours, marking the first time in over a week that a daily fatality rate has gone below 700. The country also reported its first-ever drop in coronavirus patients needing intensive care. The number now stands at 3,994, or 74 fewer than the day before.
good news, matches the chart which also showa they're close to peaking.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one ever STOPPED comparing it to the flu because almost universally everyone understands what seasonal flu is

CDC announced in the last week that over 80k americans died of the flu already this year.....iirc the number was 83k
Enough of the flu deaths stuff already. You know that reported death by flu include pnuemonia right?

So if your 80 year old whatever has a cold, turns into bronchitis, then pneumonia, and dies, which happens to a ton of 80 yr old people, it is a 'flu' death

And the same when your 80 yr old COPD person gets pneumonia and dies, it is a 'flu' death.

Pneumonia is like the 7th leading cause of death listed in the US. Those become 'flu' by categorization even if they had nothing to do with testing positive for the flu.

OTH, all these current deaths happening right now, even though most are dying from pneumonia, ARE DIRECTLY FROM COVID19.

YOU ARE COMPARING APPLES TO ORANGES!

For instance, according to the CDC's National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), "influenza and pneumonia" took 62 034 lives in 2001—61 777 of which were attributed to pneumonia and 257 to flu, and in only 18 cases was flu virus positively identified. (from cdc site)

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. My gut also says that Trump might have not been far off when he predicted we could open by Easter!
The thing we CANNOT allow to happen, though, if I'm right, is to let our guard down. It's likely to come screaming back at us in the fall, a la 1918. It would be Very Good Indeed if we could have a vaccine as well as an effective (even if not number9 double-blind approved) treatment plan in place.

Then again, we may not have the "luxury" of resting on haunches in our modern connected environment, and this thing does hit the southern hemisphere hard in the coming weeks.

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Officials in Puerto Rico have stumbled upon a cache of emergency medical supplies in a hospital that was closed since the deadly Hurricane Maria in 2017. The cache contains face masks, gloves, gowns and face shields, all of them in good condition. The protection gear will now be distributed to health workers fighting the coronavirus pandemic. "They're very useful at this moment," Health Secretary Lorenzo González said.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ok.....this is just a bridge too far.....anyone else find their hand wandering for the roll of tin foil?

Keep in mind....this video is from 2017.....

View: https://youtu.be/C95ECjxgcJE

And for the record.....Dr Brix has some similarly creepy connections......she serves on the board of Bill Gates pandemic group......

Both Brix and Fauci have creepy connections to Clinton......

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Officials in Puerto Rico have stumbled upon a cache of emergency medical supplies in a hospital that was closed since the deadly Hurricane Maria in 2017. The cache contains face masks, gloves, gowns and face shields, all of them in good condition. The protection gear will now be distributed to health workers fighting the coronavirus pandemic. "They're very useful at this moment," Health Secretary Lorenzo González said.
Fricken Ricans such a shit show of corruption and incompetence.

And my Puerto Rican friends agree. You don’t even want to talk to my Puerto Rican neighbor! She’s fiery and pissed off at Puerto Rico.

Top Bottom