Another respiratory virus from China (Coronavirus Megathread)

Chevy 2 65

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhode Island just kicked the Constitution in the teeth

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The thing is, do we have ANY reason to trust them? Especially given the continued snuffing of dissidents, and social media
updates from people working the crisis there.... It's easily possible China has 2-3x whatever they reported. For all we know
they could be doing the Kim Jong Un thing. China: "NO NEW CASES!" (cause we just shot the guy and let him fall into a hole). [rofl]

Lol you really think docs are putting people on a respirator just because they have ncov?

Food for thought... NY supposedly has like 40K something cases. If even 1000 of them are "really bad" that means you have to
put 1000 people on respirators. That's a shitload of respirators, for the patient load of one disease.

Chances are if you weren't in serious distress they'd still just send you home with some drugs. In the past decade at least two of
my co-workers got Pneumonia, and that's exactly what they did. Sick leave, drugs, rest. No hospital stay.

They were more on top of it, they also had better control of people coming into their countries, etc. Less land area to manage (they're both islands, or clusters of islands) etc. Monolithic, obedient cultures, too. (if gov tells them to do something, they usually just do it). Chewing gum is regulated in Singapore. That should tell you something, by itself... In america, someone
has a chewing gum ban we tell them to go f*** themselves. [laugh]

This number is misleading because it assumes that these "flu deaths" are similar to how people die from ncov. I don't think they're
quite the same. A lot of "flu related deaths" can be pretty rapid. Some people don't make it to a ventilator, or die from things
like sepsis or a heart attack... a lot of "generic flu related deaths" aren't solved by things like "putting someone on a ventilator"
etc.

-Mike
You're assuming NYC hospitals know what they're doing, have you been to one? I have, it was a horror show in good times (though this was a VA hospital).

You can sum up NY by the fact that Queens has 2.3 million residents and Queen's Hospital has "a few dozen" respirators. NYC thought arrogance and self-importance was enough preparation for this virus. Trump's right to get pissed that Cuomo is asking for 40,000 respirators - after ignoring this pandemic til it slapped them in the face.

bigpick

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wife developed mild congestion symptoms a few days ago
her PCR is positive for CoV
as of 3/27 evening i too have nasal congestion/URI symptoms
so I will definitely be tested and also be in isolation

I will continue to update the thread with wife and my symptoms
right now they are mild although my understanding is that those who become really sick take at least a week to start crumping

if we both survive this, I'm definitely going to purchase an expensive 1911
Wish you both the best for a speedy recovery.

Reactions: 92G

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
View attachment 342463
It's great that we have these wartime innovations to help the fight, but it reminds me of soldiers welding steel plates to their humvees - we never protect our boots on the ground - that's always the last priority behind billion dollar aircraft and bridges to nowhere.

How many trillions have we given to Wall St., and NYC nurses and doctors don't even have masks to protect themselves?

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
wife developed mild congestion symptoms a few days ago
her PCR is positive for CoV
as of 3/27 evening i too have nasal congestion/URI symptoms
so I will definitely be tested and also be in isolation

I will continue to update the thread with wife and my symptoms
right now they are mild although my understanding is that those who become really sick take at least a week to start crumping

if we both survive this, I'm definitely going to purchase an expensive 1911
Start shopping the 1911, you and your wife will be fine!

McReef

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hospitals are run as businesses and rightfully so. Stockpiled PPE is sitting on $$$. Yes they probably all should have more but the state and the feds should already have warehouses of the shit stockpiled. We pay copious amounts of taxes, it's pretty mind numbing that our government doesn't prep, with the exception of prepping for itself.
Well obviously this is only because they are not getting enough tax revenue to cover that in addition to all of the very important stuff they are taking care of for us. If they collect just a l more I’m sure that’ll sort out the problem.

A friend is a nurse in a hospital just outside Boston. She has a coworker that was working on her shift and also had a new nurse shadowing her. The coworker tested positive for the Rona. They are not testing any other employee because the hospital said it wasn’t necessary. My friend still has to go into work after working with this person. She doesn’t have symptoms yet and will have to go to her own doctor when she can to see if she can get a test.
If you think of it from the perspective of the hospital, there is no motivation to test staff. There is no real upside there. They stand to benefit more by ignoring it than addressing it.

That’s what worries me. That’s the next shoe to drop.

This thing seems so damn infectious that we’re gonna have a lot of frontline staff go down, at least temporarily, if there isn’t enough protective gear to go around.

Hospitals generally run pretty lean on personnel.

For example, ventilators. It’s not so much that we don’t have enough, we don’t have enough people trained in running them.
It is both. We are headed for a shortage of hardware and software.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have a beef with that guy. Look at the picture. That mask is not good for this. You all know why!

Surgical masks are ideal for trapping the bad germies in from the wearer. They do a little to stop things coming the other way. N95's without blowoff valve are good in both directions due to the 3m's blown mesh junk, and the charge in the fabric.
Add blow off valve, and it's one-way in only.
I posted this earlier in the thread (page 200 or 300?), but it bears repeating.

In theory N95 masks are better than surgical masks, but there was only one actual clinical study - it showed no difference in influenza infection between the two mask types. So wear the surgical masks!

Findings In this pragmatic, cluster randomized clinical trial involving 2862 health care personnel, there was no significant difference in the incidence of laboratory-confirmed influenza among health care personnel with the use of N95 respirators (8.2%) vs medical masks (7.2%).

The5thDentist

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Albania goes almost full, true lockdown.

They have a low number of cases and deaths in the single digits.

Since the country is so small, they can enforce this kind of quarantine, and can't afford this thing spreading.

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
National Guard to support Springfield Police Department amid COVID-19
CORONAVIRUS LOCAL IMPACT
by: Katrina Kincade
Posted: Mar 28, 2020 / 06:10 AM EDT / Updated: Mar 28, 2020 / 06:10 AM EDT

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Springfield city officials are bringing in the National Guard to help with COVOD-19 management in the city.
Springfield Mayor Sarno said in a news conference that he requested 75 national guardsmen to support the police department after some officers are out due to various concerns of the coronavirus. Springfield Police Commissioner Clapprood told 22News that the department is down about 20 officers after testing positive for COVIDS-19 and 12 others are waiting for test results.
Clapprood said the other currently off-duty officers have health concerns that make working during COVid-19 challenging are in self-quarantine for coming into contact with someone with COVID-19.
National Guard members will be armed and under the direction of the police commissioner. Capprood says she hopes their appearance will be calming as they help the department fill any help they need during this pandemic.

Read the rest:
National Guard to support Springfield Police Department amid COVID-19

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Rhode Island just kicked the Constitution in the teeth
I would rather they close borders. Just drop shipping containers filled with water barrels on every ingress road.

Hunting is not allowed.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I posted this earlier in the thread (page 200 or 300?), but it bears repeating.

In theory N95 masks are better than surgical masks, but there was only one actual clinical study - it showed no difference in influenza infection between the two mask types. So wear the surgical masks!

Those were most likely n95s with no valve that lets your hot mess out.

djbradles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do they autoclave them, or sterilize with chem dips, or other means?
IMHO dry steam is the only way. Autoclave. I can’t imagine that any steam or chemical moisture is good for them.

With the Mercy Hospital UV machine a couple post back you couldn’t do small scale but I don’t see how you could do large volume sterilizing and be sure of it.

Last edited:

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
POS GM baulks on building ventilators voluntarily, after previously getting a umungo bailout, so POTUS put the hammer down on them.
They put their spin on it in this article to make themselves sound like saints. Total BS A-Holes
I worked a long time for defense contractors. We really feared such an executive order. Usually you only see them in times of war. But if the navy needed a gear for an aircraft carrier, for instance, the government could order EVERY worker in a plant like GE Steam Turbine in Lynn MA to drop what they were doing and work on that ONE project

The order was seldom actually given, but often was an implied threat if you were late on a critical shipment. Just like our president just did. Well played, Mr. President

djbradles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I worked a long time for defense contractors. We really feared such an executive order. Usually you only see them in times of war. But if the navy needed a gear for an aircraft carrier, for instance, the government could order EVERY worker in a plant like GE Steam Turbine in Lynn MA to drop what they were doing and work on that ONE project

The order was seldom actually given, but often was an implied threat if you were late on a critical shipment. Just like our president just did. Well played, Mr. President
That is a tough call. I would consider a pandemic in our now very small world due to globalization and porous borders to be just that, war time. As @teaser452 pointed out you could have hundreds of thousands of vents but who is gonna run them? You definitely are required to have well trained RRT’s. Those are complex machines. I’ve talked to some respiratory therapists here and they are already understaffed. That does not bode well.

Waher

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boston Gun & Rifle and Braintree Rifle & Pistol

92G

NES Member
Rating - 99.1%
105   1   0
Screw that! If it were me they'd take me at work with my gear or not at all. It's an unbelievable level of stupidity from medical "professionals".
agree 100%. beyond dumb. unfortunately they will gladly terminate us if we violate their "safety" guidelines. i contemplated tapping out from work all together. i have a few pregnant colleagues and honestly i would sleep better at night knowing they have gone into strict isolation, but it isn't my place to be everyone's mother.

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree 100%. beyond dumb. unfortunately they will gladly terminate us if we violate their "safety" guidelines. i contemplated tapping out from work all together. i have a few pregnant colleagues and honestly i would sleep better at night knowing they have gone into strict isolation, but it isn't my place to be everyone's mother.
Under the circumstances I'd let them terminate me and be sure to let them know a lawsuit is in their future.

Top Bottom