Another respiratory virus from China (Coronavirus Megathread)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boston Gun & Rifle and Braintree Rifle & Pistol
Last edited:

djbradles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lovely.

Just shot an X-ray on a intubated transfer pt from Cambridge with ams (altered mental status) and syncope (loss of blood pressure). I decided I better wear my N95 and goggles just in case. I get done with the xray and the NP pops in the room to say sorry she just got off the phone with the son who lives with her....and he’s recently been exposed to someone with Covid-19......lovely. Currently in a neuro ICU. They don’t have a complete story on her yet but she’s clearly got a right lower lobe consolidation now and left lower lobe may hold some opacities retro cardiac.
E57BE8EE-8888-43B6-BD7A-62400D649E98.jpeg

Of course I’ve leaned in close to her for the xray with a open intubated mouth and no gown or papr. Imagine I just leave and go take care of some other patients not knowing this? How about all the staff that cared for her at the outside hospital? How about the nurses and pct’s in and outta the room? How about the anesthesiologist and respiratory therapist who performed the airway protection and intubation?

And the signage after I left the room
6E0CF227-E6E3-47D7-8D0D-A1F5515BD089.jpeg

This Is One Hot Mess!

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ask some ER doctors in a few hot spots, and I think you'll quickly find out this is not a routine flu. I don't think you're paying attention.
Yeah, ok, maybe not now - the flu has flu shots and herd immunity on its side. And I'm not suggesting we not quarantine, that'd be a disaster for our elderly and predisposed.

I'm just saying do a full lockdown like Asia did, and it'll get stamped out. NY's incompetence will make it hit hard, and our slow response overall will hurt us. We spent too many weeks laughing at guys in China with bottles on their heads, instead of preparing.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Which hospital has not had enough ventilators? Even the well produced shock video (with the drama music) out of NYC had 5 unused ventilators sitting idle in the background.

The big problem is hospitals not having enough PPE stockpiled and running out.

View: https://twitter.com/omriceren/status/1243335351688744961
Queen's hospital where 13 died in one night, has "a few dozen ventilators". Now NY is allowing hospitals to share ventilators between 2 patients.

Does that sound like they have them lying around?

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

xtry51

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Which hospital has not had enough ventilators? Even the well produced shock video (with the drama music) out of NYC had 5 unused ventilators sitting idle in the background.

The big problem is hospitals not having enough PPE stockpiled and running out.

View: https://twitter.com/omriceren/status/1243335351688744961
I'm doubtful respirators will be available for long. As I said before I personally am talking to a NYC business that is NOT A MEDICAL VENDOR who was contracted to try and make 20,000 respirators from a new design in 30 days.

I really hope they can do it, and this company is a nimble, innovation machine. But the task is not an easy one and they got the contract ask in the bottom of the 8th inning for hospitals. This order should have been placed in Feb.

Fyi the FDA has waived quals for new PPE. All you need to do as of today is make something and place the blanket warning they listed which basically is make no medical claims, and do not call anything "surgical". Other than that make anything you can and sell it to hospitals immediately.

My company is not a medical company. We're making PPE now. The first stuff was cut today and will ship monday.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We hear about all the deaths in NYC, but today in the news they had doctors and nurses saying people are dying cause they don't have respirators for them. This is not a lethal virus, it's poor preparation and a crappy health care system - just like Italy and Iran. Why are there no respirators? Because we've hyped up this disease so bad, that people come in scared out of their minds and end up on a respirator once they test positive.
Our healthcare system has often been criticized that we give someone a band aid followed by a foot in the ass to get them out the door. I find it hard to believe that they're putting someone on a respirator for testing positive for a virus when they aren't in severe respiratory distress. They're not putting someone on a respirator just because that person comes in and expresses fear.

Even if you want to make the argument that they're over treating to get more money, they'd be treating the people who need the treatment and getting the money from them/their insurance.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You go into a quarantine hospital, are they gonna let you keep your phone? Probably not even in the US.
Watching a "documentary" about the virus that aired on the Science channel last night, one of the infected from the Diamond Princess who was quarantined in Japan kept her phone and made regular social media updates on her condition. Why would they take the phones, unless they were trying to hide something?

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'm doubtful respirators will be available for long. As I said before I personally am talking to a NYC business that is NOT A MEDICAL VENDOR who was contracted to try and make 20,000 respirators from a new design in 30 days.

I really hope they can do it, and this company is a nimble, innovation machine. But the task is not an easy one and they got the contract ask in the bottom of the 8th inning for hospitals. This order should have been placed in Feb.

Fyi the FDA has waived quals for new PPE. All you need to do as of today is make something and place the blanket warning they listed which basically is make no medical claims, and do not call anything "surgical". Other than that make anything you can and sell it to hospitals immediately.

My company is not a medical company. We're making PPE now. The first stuff was cut today and will ship monday.
Don't most people who get put on a ventilator die? IIRC some other post said 86%? I'm not too excited about intubation if it works that badly. Plus, it is pure torture. My father was on his death bed for 2 weeks with a tube down him and it was unbearably unpleasant. I would much prefer they prescribe whatever antivirals are thought to work the best (hydrochloroquine, azithromycin and zinc?), before hospitalization is even needed.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I had mentioned a while back somewhere that my mother's friend, and that friend's son, thought they had it and went to get tested. I highly doubt she has it... she's just sickly and has been coughing since January. Anyway, they both had the tests done 12 days ago, and according to my mother's call with the friend tonight, they still don't have the results. 12 effing days???? WTF? Why even bother?

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
... Wuhan got screwed like NYC is about to. ...
About to?

Got, may be more like it.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
About to?

Got, may be more like it.
Wow... I've never seen Times Square that quiet. Even on a normal non-holiday weekday, there's like 100,000 people milling about in the square.

It looks like you can still go on a horse carriage ride there... that's nice. Coronavirus horse ride through a creepy empty city. How romantic.

Edit: Oh wait, those are police horsies.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Watching a "documentary" about the virus that aired on the Science channel last night, one of the infected from the Diamond Princess who was quarantined in Japan kept her phone and made regular social media updates on her condition. Why would they take the phones, unless they were trying to hide something?
It's a very paranoid and closed government no doubt. They want to control the narrative and the news. But that's a big leap to 20 million dead.

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mentioned a while back somewhere that my mother's friend, and that friend's son, thought they had it and went to get tested. I highly doubt she has it... she's just sickly and has been coughing since January. Anyway, they both had the tests done 12 days ago, and according to my mother's call with the friend tonight, they still don't have the results. 12 effing days???? WTF? Why even bother?
I was told 5 day minimum, possibly up to 10 max return for test on 3/16 here in MA. Got a call 4 days later from the hospital with (-) results.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Don't most people who get put on a ventilator die? IIRC some other post said 86%? I'm not too excited about intubation if it works that badly. Plus, it is pure torture. My father was on his death bed for 2 weeks with a tube down him and it was unbearably unpleasant. I would much prefer they prescribe whatever antivirals are thought to work the best (hydrochloroquine, azithromycin and zinc?), before hospitalization is even needed.
I don't think so, doctors everywhere are saying ventilator is the difference between living and dying with COVID-19. You definitely don't want to get on one. There's also non invasive breathing support, not sure how much they're using that.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How hard can a ventilator be to make in a home workshop?

Couple cpap hoses, 3d print the mouth/nosepiece, there's a humidifier/warmer and an air pump. And the pump cycles on a timer or something. Piece of cake.

1585273709540.png

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
How hard can a ventilator be to make in a home workshop?

Couple cpap hoses, 3d print the mouth/nosepiece, there's a humidifier/warmer and an air pump. And the pump cycles on a timer or something. Piece of cake.

View attachment 342167
It works great, until it pushes too much air in with no ability to know how much is too much, then the little thingies in your lungs all rupture.

djbradles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Things went south fast this evening shift. Multiple ICU’s are now only Covid. Multiple entire floors are now only Covid. They are talking now about opening the OR to house Covid patients who are intubated.

To be sure all these patients who are intubated are mostly in the baby boomer to traditionalist age group. They all have lots of comorbidities. That’s why they’re showing up first and most severe.

mousegunguy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
My brother was told his test results would take 7 days, that was 9 days ago.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boston Gun & Rifle and Braintree Rifle & Pistol
I'm pretty sure the CCP directed local companies and students to do the same thing here the way all of North America had its entire mask supply from Home Depot and whatnot bought up in a week in bulk.

mibro

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It's a very paranoid and closed government no doubt. They want to control the narrative and the news. But that's a big leap to 20 million dead.
The CCP allows the Chinese a maximum of five phones each apparently. I have no idea what the cell phone data is telling us.

Top Bottom