Another respiratory virus from China (Coronavirus Megathread)

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Top health official says coronavirus pandemic is accelerating in the US
The coronavirus pandemic is “accelerating” in the United States and “there are other parts of the country which we need to get a better feel for what is going on,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
"The way we do that is by increasing testing and identifying people who are infected, isolating them getting out of circulation, and then do contact tracing," Fauci said. “New York City is dominating the situation in the United States. About 60% of the infections are in the New York City metropolitan area, and 56% of the new infections are coming from the New York City metropolitan area."
Fauci added: "I mean, I have spoken to the political officials in New Orleans and in the state of Louisiana. They are now shutting things down in a very vigorous way. It is likely that that should have been done a little bit sooner — not blaming anyone on that but you get caught unaware because the nature of this outbreak.”

Last edited:

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
.... All this means that official death count in Italy ( 743 today) is a serious underestimate: the actual numbers must be something like 4-9 times bigger – say 4000 a day. Does influenza do this? One did, back in 1918.

Last edited:

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Posted on another Forum:
Not much going on at my hospital. Beds filling up like everywhere else. PPE low, like everywhere else. Heard a rumor about PPE theft (not sure if that is true or a way of management getting cleared)
Nobody is coming to the ED except for life threatening stuff.
I got called to transport a pt from ER to my unit (they were busy) I grab a wheel chair and head down.
The halls were empty. At 1am.
Normally I have to make my way through bums sleeping off a drunk. Nobody. Nothing.

My old boss (remember I worked research) got the wuflu. He’s gonna be ok from the sound of it.
A coworker in her 30s got it. She’s on ICU. She runs 5miles a day. This thing does not discriminate.

Reactions: JJ4

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The dramatic spike brought the number of novel coronavirus deaths since the outbreak reached the United States in late January to at least 928. Sunday morning -- less than four days ago -- the nationwide total was 326 deaths.

Officials reported 223 deaths Wednesday, an increase higher than any other day. Tuesday saw 164 reports. Experts have said numbers will rise dramatically as more tests are administered and analyzed.

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Posted on another Forum:
I've sporadically posted some info re: my RN wife and her job over the last several hundred pages. For those that don't know / haven't read / can't remember - My wife works at a medium sized hospital just outside of Detroit. Her job is to evaluate and place patients into rehab, long term care, and hospice facilities. Because she isn't front line staff they booted her out of the facility and she has been working from home the last 2 days. I have also been working from home and I've listened to her phone calls all day.....and the shit is getting really bad. Her hospital has 37 ICU beds total......5 days ago they had 9 patients in the ICU, today they had 2 beds left and almost all of the patients transferred to ICU over the last 5 days have been Covid positive. ALL of the centers she places patients into have MULTIPLE Covid positive patients. 1 of the center has 122 patients and 26 of them are Covid positive. I listened to numerous conference calls today on speakerphone that had doctors, nurses, and building administrators on it.......and none of them really knew what to do. They are trying to arrange to get patients out of the hospital to make room for new admits but their centers don't want to take anymore Covid positive patients because they know what is going to happen over the next week or 2. The facilities and hospitals are GROSSLY short in the PPE dept. I heard a call today between my wife and a nurse that works at a large hospital in Detroit and the nurse told my wife that someone broke into the secure storage where the PPE was kept and stole half of the N95 masks they had.

On top of all of the above, I work for State Gov and just got a work email stating that my home office in Lansing had someone test positive this morning. They just shut the entire building down until Monday. If you live in Michigan its the Ottawa Complex just down the mall from the Capitol building. Not sure of total number of employees in that building....but it has to be in excess of 500.

The next 2 weeks are going to make the last 2 days look like a cakewalk. Stay safe everyone.

• Wow
Reactions: JJ4

Stryker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
My theory is that the countries that are avoiding health care crises so far (Germany, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan) are the ones that are taking preventive measures, which, according to you, are unneeded.
Some early research has shown that the Singapore strain had a 382 nucleotide deletion which possibly lead to a less virulent strain

A preprint, so take it with a grain of salt

Some discussion here:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19/comments/fl3yqg/some_sarscov2_populations_in_singapore/

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Disclaimer: This is a post of a rumor that was heard from a poster's close-family-member on another Forum (so view it as such):
(added: another poster said their local news actually mentioned this)
Here is another 'rumor' that I have no link to substantiate or source that most of you will accept as credible....but with that said, here is what is actually happening. An extremely close family member shared that they are now working with USACE to establish a field hospital in NJ at a expo / conference center. This individual is a senior admin for one of the major health systems in the state of NJ. There is a field triage area set up on the grounds of the hospital they are based at, and now the USACE has apparently engaged to establish a ward at a local industrial park.

I don't know how many cots they are looking to set up....my guess would be in the hundreds (based on personal experience with the site, and past planning with the NJ DOH. The bottom line here is that this isn't being done because things have peaked and we are ready to go back to work and return to normal. My guess....things are about to ramp up in ways that no one in this country has seen.

You can take my word for what you paid for it...but for what it's worth...this thing is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. It will end...and we will persevere....but we are far from the end. I've built the better half of my career game-planning emergency operations in response to disasters. While I don't think this is going to be an existential threat, I do think that it will press most folks far beyond their paradigm. Shit is about to get far more real than most of us were interested in happening.

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0

Are they saying that Chinese nationals are fleeing back to China because they think they will get better medical care if they need it there? So they think the virus is better contained there than in the US. I wonder if they are getting real info through channels
besides the official CCP propaganda? Maybe friends and family are telling them it's ok ?
This makes me a little nervous actually.Prelude to further hostilities?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
So when to I get my $1200 corona check to spend on ammo? Oh wait.....[hmmm]
Basically everyone where I work is screwed, no one gets a check.

Some of my co-workers could use the check, we all have houses, some of them have kids with special needs, spouses that were laid off or had their own business but now arent bringing any money home ...

But they all make above that magical number someone thought of, so f*** them.

vicorjh

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Reuse of N95 masks (disinfection):

1585224486051.png

Note the warning about use of alcohol or chlorine as disinfectants on the masks. While they will disinfect these materials, they will also have an affect on the diffusive properties of the material which is key attribute towards capturing of the virii.

Attachments

Last edited:

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Insult to injury

Now adding more insult to injury for the East Coast and most likely Florida:

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Florida:
TAMPA, Fla. - Hillsborough leaders want you to stay home as much as possible. A countywide ‘safer-at-home’ directive and curfew order are set to be voted on Thursday.
It’s not official yet but starting Friday Hillsborough County plans to enforce a nightly curfew and ask non-essential businesses to send workers home, all meant to curb the spread of COVID-19...
... The plan on the table is a mandatory curfew from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly. On the weekends, it will last 24-hours, meaning from 10 p.m. Friday through 5 a.m. Monday you should be at your home.
“We are asking everyone to stay at home and work from home if any way possible. If that is not possible and you provide an essential service, as long as you can stay six feet away from other individuals then you can perform that service,” explained Tampa Mayor Jane Castor.
The order will essentially shut down any non-essential businesses that can’t stay six feet away from customers, and employees can’t work from home, like hair salons and massage parlors. “Those will be enforced with fines and penalties,” Merrill said. “We take this very seriously.”

Top Bottom