Another respiratory virus from China (Coronavirus Megathread)

Rating - 100%
18   0   0

Well if it's for health reasons...
No more ass licking? Thats it! Game over man...

So, you believe the flat line graph at 80k infections?

Edit: Because modern problems require modern solutions:

View: https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd/status/1242190711732285440
I am really let down nobody knows Kung Fu anymore...

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no. If we did Trump would be announcing it daily.
Methinks there's plenty, but they know damned well they'd scare the sheep were they to release it. And, in fact, that's why this thing is a much bigger deal than the Obamaplague of 2008.

MY evidence: this number hasn't been moving in a favorable direction:

cc20200325.jpg

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Methinks there's plenty, but they know damned well they'd scare the sheep were they to release it. And, in fact, that's why this thing is a much bigger deal than the Obamaplague of 2008.
so you're believing in multiple conspiracy theories, the 2nd one involving most of the US scientific community plus Trump?

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
How do we know it's hasn't already and only 53,000 were sick enough to seek treatment? Answer: we dont
Well, its kind of sheep like to assume this is just like a seasonal flu. The experience in Italy and Spain sure don't
look like anything I've seen in my lifetime.

My estimate of what is going on is that this is roughly 10x more lethal
than the flu, with unknown long term effects for people with the most serious cases who survive.

My theory is that the countries that are avoiding health care crises so far (Germany, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan) are the ones that are taking preventive measures, which, according to you, are unneeded.

If covid19 were comparable to the flu, I don't think you'd be seeing the people dying in
the hospital hallways, or turned away to die at home, like we are in Italy and Spain, and probably New York in two weeks.

I'd be pleased to be proven wrong, let's social distance a little longer and see.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Some 70% of Louisiana’s 1,795 confirmed cases to date are in the New Orleans metro area.

The culprit for the coronavirus in the Big Easy? Some blame Carnival.

“Mardi Gras was the perfect storm, it provided the perfect conditions for the spread of this virus,” said Dr. Rebekah Gee, who until January was the Health Secretary for Louisiana and now heads up Louisiana State University’s health care services division.
Mardis Gras the primary vector? Say it ain't so!

JJ4

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
2 trillion dollars to people with/without jobs.....bullshit......wtf are we doing printing money for people that are still working full time?
It's more like 6 trillion. The Gov't is going to put 2 trillion on the credit card, and the federal reserve is going to print 4 trillion or so - they have only said its unlimited.

Your 401k will rebound but bread will cost $10.

Last edited:

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I find this discussion pointless, we already know China (and the US) both develop bio weapons, and we have no credible evidence or Trump would jump on it, it would be a huge coup.

so discussing a possibility with no evidence is pointless.
Im not sure they would want to make it known if they had evidence that it was a deliberate act by China. That would put the US gov in the position of having to retaliate in a manner that was on the same level as the attack, (biological or nukes) which we really dont have the stomach for imo. I dont think this administration would be advised to publicly out the Chinese. Pretending that this was a natural occurrence is the easiest thing for them to do if it was a deliberate act. Maybe they would retaliate in some other way, but to lay everything out on the table and then not respond would only encourage future actions by China and others.

With that said, although I wouldnt put something like this past the CCP, if I had to bet money I would say it happened through incompetence rather than malice. They were messing around with this virus in a lab (which we all do) and one way or another it got out and spread.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My theory is that the countries that are avoiding health care crises so far (Germany, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan) are the ones that are taking preventive measures, which, according to you, are unneeded.

If covid19 were comparable to the flu, I don't think you'd be seeing the people dying in
the hospital hallways, or turned away to die at home, like we are in Italy and Spain, and probably New York in two weeks.

I'd be pleased to be proven wrong, let's social distance a little longer and see.
Methinks - I'm hoping anyway - there's more to it than that. There are a lot of shithole countries that SHOULD, given their hygiene practices as well as proximity to China, render them hotbeds of this. And (at least on the record - which, let's face it, is dubious at best) they aren't. Thing I see in common: latitude.

So... let's cross our fingers for an "Easter miracle" a la Olivia Walton's with her polio. With any luck at all, this thing doesn't like the sun.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Rogan is two weeks younger than my little brother, they were friends in high school (Newton South class of 85'), and he's been to the house we used to live in. I've met him myself a few times and I thought he was a douche back then. My opinion hasn't since changed.
I’ll second that. I knew him back in the day. He was a douche then. Saw him at a comedy club in LA about 15 years ago with my fiancé, now wife. He was still a douche. Even extra douchey.

pretty sure he’s not gonna change.

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
so you're believing in multiple conspiracy theories, the 2nd one involving most of the US scientific community plus Trump?
there is no way for "westerm scientists" to prove that virus wasn't man made and or didn't come from some bio lab. May be intelligence sources know for sure, but I doubt that US or Trump would reveal that to general public.

What's FUBAR is that CCP screwed the pooch with their secrecy and propaganda. This is not the first time these virus shit comes from China, like avian and pig flue. Pretty soon we will have the whole f***ing zodiac flues here. What's next, tiger virus or rat virus? Right or wrong, China has been the source for a bunch of bad shit. Avoiding China in the future is a good thing.

In terms of bio weapons, this is a great virus. Like a lot of other successful weapons it doesn't just kill the target, but sucks up tons of resources trying to care for the infected.

cmcgraw2

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of bio weapons, this is a great virus. Like a lot of other successful weapons it doesn't just kill the target, but sucks up tons of resources trying to care for the infected.
And after seeing just how successful, I bet they're working on the next release with gusto!

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
This came up as a suggested movie in my Amazon Prime page .. the trailer starts with "100% Fatal".
Nice to know Amazon has a twisted sense of humor.

screenshot_127.png

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I find this discussion pointless, we already know China (and the US) both develop bio weapons, and we have no credible evidence or Trump would jump on it, it would be a huge coup.

so discussing a possibility with no evidence is pointless.
I love this guy. Puts all his chips behind the one person who is most likely to keep the masses calm. It's all OK man. Don't panic. All lies and conspiracy. Your overlords have your back. Be safe friend...

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well, its kind of sheep like to assume this is just like a seasonal flu. The experience in Italy and Spain sure don't
look like anything I've seen in my lifetime.

My estimate of what is going on is that this is roughly 10x more lethal
than the flu, with unknown long term effects for people with the most serious cases who survive.

italy is probably a good reason to do the full lockdown in case it is that dangerous, or in case there's a deadlier strain in Italy that could come here. But there's plenty of countries we're it should be exploding if it's as dangerous as Italy is experiencing. India, Brazil, Africa etc.

Italy is probably just a perfect storm of old people, cultural disposition toward physical contact and poor health care.

for Trump it's a no brainer, he can't risk NOT doing the lockdown with the media and Democrats trying to pin him with every crime since the Original Sin.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the end of Trump's briefing. It's sounding like he really wants to open things back up in 5 days. If he does, these 2 weeks are for nothing. We wrecked our economy for nothing and we're still going to get hit with the spike everyone is saying will overwhelm our hospitals. At this point, we either go all in or we threw a couple trillion dollars away for absolutely nothing. I can't imagine spending a million dollars. My entire career I think I've earned a little under 2 million, maybe a million in total take home over 30 years. A trillion is a number I simply can't wrap my brain around and they talk like it's just chump change.

edit: again, hit the post button too soon. The damage to the stock market was a couple trillion as well as the 2-3 trillion they are talking about with the stimulus package. So almost a 1/4 of our entire GDP, might as well had a hell of a bonfire with Benjamins.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I watched the end of Trump's briefing. It's sounding like he really wants to open things back up in 5 days. If he does, these 2 weeks are for nothing. We wrecked our economy for nothing and we're still going to get hit with the spike everyone is saying will overwhelm our hospitals. At this point, we either go all in or we threw a couple trillion dollars away for absolutely nothing. I can't imagine spending a million dollars. My entire career I think I've earned a little under 2 million, maybe a million in total take home over 30 years. A trillion is a number I simply can't wrap my brain around and they talk like it's just chump change.

edit: again, hit the post button too soon. The damage to the stock market was a couple trillion as well as the 2-3 trillion they are talking about with the stimulus package. So almost a 1/4 of our entire GDP, might as well had a hell of a bonfire with Benjamins.
I think Trump is just hedging his bets - if it turns out this lockdown was unnecessary, he can say "look, I said we should end it early." He knows it (early end to lockdown) won't happen so it's just insurance words at this point.

Atlantis

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, I suspect the rate decrease in NYC case count is attributable to lack of testing capacity. Notice that the % Positive with regards to testing is increasing. The roll off of the testing numbers matches/outpaces the roll off of the positive cases. We can't expand testing capacity fast enough to keep up with how fast the virus is spreading. :/

Log chart for ease of trend spotting.

1585182846158.png

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
He flaps his lips but I wouldn't be surprised if this drags out another 2-4 weeks, mostly depending on how f***ed up the hotspots still are....

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I disagree. This virus kills a nation's old people and ones with pre-existing conditions. It's like a wolf pack - it makes the herd stronger. ;)

Top Bottom