Another respiratory virus from China (Coronavirus Megathread)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what cartridges they are supposed to use and no they aren't pliable. The idea being blocking 95% of the air coming in is still way better than 0%. These would also be more effective than a standard surgical mask.

There are hospitals asking people to print these so they must be better than nothing when it comes down to brass tacks.
If they are hard plastic, you can clean them pretty good as well between uses.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow... looks like we will never have good data.

View attachment 340535
They probably want to keep the mortality rates up to scare people into giving the .gov more power. It’s NY and CA, need we say more?

Serological testing will get us good data eventually. Just hope it doesn’t end up like the 2009 H1N1 where the initial guess was 2% mortality, then went to 0.4% and after serum testing was actually found to be about 0.002%.

Doesn’t seem too likely this time. But have to wonder why people don’t want to spend more time and money on understanding the problem, rather than consolidating power, and giving trillion dollar bailouts.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Just increasingly hostile reporters trying to shit on everything and stir up a narrative that everything is out of control.

MGH being completely and utterly unprepared with supplies is some downright criminal negligence. I'm also wondering why Suffolk Construction has only donated 1,200 masks and 100 respirators when they have to have pallets worth of the things sitting around. With all the construction, abatement, and auto-body/painting companies in the metro-Boston region they should have N-100 and P-100 respirators coming out their asses for donation. Where are all of them?
It's entirely the result of "minimizing overhead" to increase "profit margins" and JIT delivery. Failure to plan for an interruption in the supply chain, LIKE WOULD HAPPEN IN A PANDEMIC, is the fault of the hospitals, not the government.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also, why 60 day mortgage forbearance now? Doesn’t it Altair a few months to get behind enough for foreclosure, why would’ve they enact this then?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When is MA being locked down?
The virus seems to be doubling every 3 days, so I would figure less than two weeks.

It may not even come as a Mass lockdown, there's rumor Trump may declare a national quarantine lockdown. IMO, Trump is going to declare a lockdown before the end of March. Likely will be announced next week and go into effect on the 29th.

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
They probably want to keep the mortality rates up to scare people into giving the .gov more power. It’s NY and CA, need we say more?

Serological testing will get us good data eventually. Just hope it doesn’t end up like the 2009 H1N1 where the initial guess was 2% mortality, then went to 0.4% and after serum testing was actually found to be about 0.002%.

The reports coming out of Italy would seem to indicate the mortality rates are on the higher end of those estimates, not
the low H1N1 2009 end. Unless there's some other explanation for their hospitals being swamped all at once.

I think the way the hospital saturation situation is playing out Northern Italy is a good example of what happens when you don't
practice better social distancing.

McReef

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's entirely the result of "minimizing overhead" to increase "profit margins" and JIT delivery. Failure to plan for an interruption in the supply chain, LIKE WOULD HAPPEN IN A PANDEMIC, is the fault of the hospitals, not the government.
I would change that to "is the fault of the hospitals, and the government.

If and average guy or gal can find themselves in a situation where they are better prepared than their nation's healthcare system, and their government, for a situation like this one, something is seriously frigging wrong.

How many times have we watched or seen images of government agencies running disaster drills? How long have experts been preaching about the inevitability of a pandemic? How many decades has the government and military apparatus been supposedly preparing themselves for a chemical or biological attack? And yet, here we are. Not enough PPE to maintain basic coverage and protection for our front line workers for even a few days, let alone an extended period, and you can forget about protecting the populace.

Think back to all those first-responder drills you have seen. Teams in full PPE running through the motions. Apparently, the only PPE they had was what they used for the f***ing drills! "You guys need to know how to work with this stuff, you know, in case we ever decide to buy any for you to use".

It is a disgrace, and before we even start talking about this waking people up, let's just stop that right here, we all know full well this won't change a damn thing.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Rumors say Monday with the announcement coming tomorrow. Only rumors so far.

phew....thankfully it hasnt yet risen to the level of the proverbial "Reliable Inside Source who's never been wrong before"

RI isnt panicking yet.....

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I understand that somebody somewhere thought they were helping with this whole project - but where are you going to get the filters to actually make the mask work? They're all sold out. Is the mask made out of some sort of pliable material that form fits to the face? I doubt it. I don't think most 3D printers can print the kind of pliable material that most respirator type masks that use replaceable filters are typically made out of.

I don't know what it is with some people, but they seem to have such a complete ignorance of how the world works - combined with far too many hours spent watching Star Trek - that they think "3D printing!!" is somehow going to save the world.
Ive read that vacuum cleaner bags make decent replacement if nothing else is available. Decent filtering but hard to breathe through iirc

Reactions: jpk

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would change that to "is the fault of the hospitals, and the government.

If and average guy or gal can find themselves in a situation where they are better prepared than their nation's healthcare system, and their government, for a situation like this one, something is seriously frigging wrong.

How many times have we watched or seen images of government agencies running disaster drills? How long have experts been preaching about the inevitability of a pandemic? How many decades has the government and military apparatus been supposedly preparing themselves for a chemical or biological attack? And yet, here we are. Not enough PPE to maintain basic coverage and protection for our front line workers for even a few days, let alone an extended period, and you can forget about protecting the populace.

Think back to all those first-responder drills you have seen. Teams in full PPE running through the motions. Apparently, the only PPE they had was what they used for the f***ing drills! "You guys need to know how to work with this stuff, you know, in case we ever decide to buy any for you to use".

It is a disgrace, and before we even start talking about this waking people up, let's just stop that right here, we all know full well this won't change a damn thing.
I've been criticized in past for commenting about hospitals wasting huuuge sums of money.......DH here in NH comes to mind with that ginourmous open air section of the building glassed in that at LEAST 3 stories high.......consider for a moment how that money could have been spent to create extra rooms....even if mothballed....or to stockpile needed emergency supplies (non perishable) or to have not spent it in the first place......cuz everyone knows at the end of the day those costs are reflected in cost of healthcare we all pay.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I just spoke with people from Argentina.

Everyone, the entire country, is in mandatory quarantine or you get arrested. You can go out to buy food or medicine, that's it. They better not stop you miles away form your house.

Life there is different than here, everything is closer, more densely packed, so you rarely need to travel more than a couple of miles to buy food.

A guy that got on a ferry and infected 400 people is in jail and will have to pay the costs of treating those 400 people. The guy had a fever and all the symptoms and got on the ferry anyway to go on vacation.

Several people have been arrested already.

People cant visit anyone over 65.

It is autumn down there, so this has the potential to get worse as the flu season starts. I dont know what is better, to have both this and the flu at the same time or spread throughout the entire year.

Looks like their quarantine will last at least 2 months. A bad economy will crash and burn. I dont know how the gov down there will stop this.

MELI stock is a good buy now.

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
For those with time on their hands, take a trip down memory lane with this thread on the 2009 H1N1 scare

In particular, see the post by someone claiming that Boston has a center for stockpile of PPE equipment for a pandemic.
I wonder who screwed that up?

That thread is why I have 3+ months of food, N95 masks, and enough firepower to take over the East Coast (in the words of my daughter [smile] ) that's been sitting in the basement since 2009.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
For those with time on their hands, take a trip down memory lane with this thread on the 2009 H1N1 scare

In particular, see the post by someone claiming that Boston has a center for stockpile of PPE equipment for a pandemic.

That thread is why I have 3+ months of food, N95 masks, and enough firepower to take over the East Coast (in the words of my daughter [smile] ) that's been sitting in the basement since 2009.
2009 I was in college, and not yet a NES member.

I remember not paying attention to any of this. No one at worked talking about it, no one at the university talked about it, life went on. No one I knew was hoarding supplies. And, I completely forgot that happened until everyone started reminding us it happened.

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2009 I was in college, and not yet a NES member.

I remember not paying attention to any of this. No one at worked talking about it, no one at the university talked about it, life went on. No one I knew was hoarding supplies. And, I completely forgot that happened until everyone started reminding us it happened.
Another living proof that our universities teach nonessential BS. [wave] [rofl2]

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

[bow][bow]

You are the man!

I love NES! Without NES I would be a naive idiot.

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive read that vacuum cleaner bags make decent replacement if nothing else is available. Decent filtering but hard to breathe through iirc
Dude, did you notice that female hygiene products are nowhere to be found? You spread some propolis over them and stick them inside of regular surgical mask.......Don't tell them who told ya! [shocked]

Reactions: jpk
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The reports coming out of Italy would seem to indicate the mortality rates are on the higher end of those estimates, not
the low H1N1 2009 end. Unless there's some other explanation for their hospitals being swamped all at once.

I think the way the hospital saturation situation is playing out Northern Italy is a good example of what happens when you don't
practice better social distancing.

It’s an easy possible explanation Italy could have a million cases. I wasn’t really joking above, if you extrapolate from the deaths based on German data, that’s what you get.

There are a few reasons I don’t think this is crazy for example:

1) we know lots of Chinese fled, and fled to Italy. The virus goes back to November, so if some Chinese traveled early on to Italy, then maybe a lot more latter after everyone fled, it could seeded a lot of transmission.

2) early on it seemed there were about as many case showing up around the world, coming from Italy, as there were “reported cases” in Italy. So clearly they had much higher rates than reported.
Could have just thought it was flu/pneumonia and dropped the ball.

3) Italy is overwhelmed, and clearly only testing those who who are severely ill.

4) based on estimated mortality by age group, there is little difference between Italy and Germany, but Italy has 37 more deaths per reported cases than Germany.

5) Italy has high population density and waited to startdoing anything.

6) it’s a virus with no cure. medical care, such as ventilation support seems to provide no life savings until the virus clears, then small amount of potential benefit for those who make it to that point. (e.g.https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30110-7/fulltext).

occam's razor says the case numbers reported are bullshit, and there are 20x more cases than reported.

Why would an overwhelmed system test people with minor flu like symptoms that we know make up AT LEAST 80% of cases? Or those who may be asymptomatic which seem estimated between17-50% of cases fro data that exists.

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is why I don't really care that the death rate is too low for the people that think this is no big deal. Even if it's survivable it can be a horrible illness with lasting damage.

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is why I don't really care that the death rate is too low for the people that think this is no big deal. Even if it's survivable it can be a horrible illness with lasting damage.
And you are absolutely correct! Chinese confirming that their $ht worked:

Now researchers in Hong Kong have said that recovered coronavirus patients can be left with damaged lungs.

Rating - 50%
1   1   0
The usual cast will stroll in to call this fake news and say its not happening. Even as each state shuts down. Normalcy bias is incredibly strong.

Top Bottom