Another respiratory virus from China (Coronavirus Megathread)

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not plan on traveling anywhere if I can help it but I was curious what air fares were going for now so I pop over to the JetBlue website.

Well JetBlue and their partner Barclays bank must be feeling the pinch as they have upped the initial bonus for applying for their JetBlue Plus Mastercard to 60,000 points.
That is a 1/3 increase over the usual amount and advertised as a "limited time offer".

🐯

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what happens the herd isnt going to want to accept that the situation is a function of them as individuals making shit decisions
I do not follow the herd!

I protect myself and my family from the herd. I do not travel, do not use public transportation, do not go into restaurants and I have everything we need in our homes for 2-3 years to come. This was not easy.

America is a big country and we can't do everything what Poland or Lithuania did, but we can learn from them. That is what I have done.

Do not try to save the country now. Start by saving yourself and your loved ones. If every one of us will do just that idiots will be gone and we will survive.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here are Italy's numbers so far

The USA is basically around March 3. Remember, it can be up to 2 weeks to develop any symptoms. HOnestly, the US population of infected people is very very high and given the 2-week symptom lag, we will see a dramatic rise in hospitalizations very soon. I give it a week or two
A lot of the above is way off because the demonstrated/observed avg incubation period from exposure to presentation of symptoms is 5 days

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Been there done that. But of course this was well before a pandemic/state emergency/national emergency. Sorry you and him gotta go through that.
We’re good. Probably infected, but good. This place is a ghost town at the moment. Tent outside, everyone in masks, but we’re in a pedi ER and in a room that has all the ventilator stuff in it. Thank god this happened now and not a month from now. Everyone here was great.

0E860507-E8A7-460C-846E-2334649CA253.jpeg

Brewer

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I strongly recommend to everyone to put their things in order. If you do not have a will, make one. Also, make sure you have taken care of yourself and you have appointed those who will make decisions for you. Do not neglect this! I volunteer in the retirement home and majority of those who came there did not have their own things in order. In addition to this make sure you can take care of things which may complicate your health during hospitalization. Have your teeth in order because nobody will be fixing them "later". Make sure you have written down all pills you need to take and you have enough of them. Make sure those you can trust know where everything is in your home. This may sound silly but I am planning that I may potentially end up in some kind of a tent on the parking lot without a phone, internet and with tired and overworked staff from some other country. If you have pets, decide now who will be taking care of them while you are gone. Do not neglect yourself and your friends by poor planning!
Pray for the best, plan for the worst.

mibro

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Modelling, shmodelling.

The best short term forecast is usually to project the current trend.

A projection is just a best curve fit to current data.

The projection will be accurate if there are no effective measures taken to contain the spread of infection.

When the actual number of infections consistently falls short of the projection, we will know we/they are making progress in containing the pandemic or the numbers are being fudged.

Reactions: TLB

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I actually have the PAPR for my welding hood, it's a speedglas with adflo PAPR. Last week I bought a 3M versaflo "hazmat" hood, also made by 3M and the hose plugged right In.
Which PAPR do you have for welding? I've looked at them before - and they were always retard money (like $1500). So I've resorted to using a respirator that fits under my welding helmet - and then I got lucky and scored a hardly-used Lincoln fume extractor for cheap money.

djbradles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We’re good. Probably infected, but good. This place is a ghost town at the moment. Tent outside, everyone in masks, but we’re in a pedi ER and in a room that has all the ventilator stuff in it. Thank god this happened now and not a month from now. Everyone here was great.

View attachment 338715
Sounds like you’re at Umass. A very good pedi unit and er there.

mibro

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A lot of the above is way off because the demonstrated/observed avg incubation period from exposure to presentation of symptoms is 5 days
The incubation period is not a factor in the lag of US infections behind Italian infections. All it means is the Italy pandemic got going about 10 or 11 days before the US and without effective intervention the US infection curve will be very much like Italy's with an 11 day lag.

xtry51

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yeah, thank god China contained it. That's why their economy is recovering so well and everyone is back to work!

Oh wait! None of that is true!
Slide7-28-1024x583.png

I'm as tired of hearing that China's emergency is over as I am that this is no worse than seasonal flu. There's an awful lot of people talking out of their asses ignoring hard data we have on China and the exponential spread of this virus.

There's no global cabal that just woke up in mid-Jan and said "Hey you know what would be really awesome?! We should manufacture a fake pandemic and completely f*** up the entire world economy over nothing!"

Governments are panicking. They certainly know more than they are telling us, yet they are still clamping down across the globe. You think the DoD and Trump don't know exactly what is happening in China? Don't you think if China had things under control both China's government and ours would be out there showing videos and interviews of recovered patients?

S is Hing the F right in front of everyone and there are still people who what to play Vivaldi on the deck of the Titanic and think life preservers are poor fashion.

djbradles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
South shore hospital actually. Not sure if it’s a full blown pedi er but I think it is. That’s what the carts are labeled with and it’s all kids.
Lol. It’s late and you’d think I’d read your orignal post more clearly where you actually said “South Shore”

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Which PAPR do you have for welding? I've looked at them before - and they were always retard money (like $1500). So I've resorted to using a respirator that fits under my welding helmet - and then I got lucky and scored a hardly-used Lincoln fume extractor for cheap money.
I have a speedglas 9100fx with the xx lens, adflo PAPR.

Its probably 7 years old now. But I love it. Well worth the money.
3m has a new version now. Speedglas G5-01 my buddy has it. Pricey, but very nice.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The incubation period is not a factor in the lag of US infections behind Italian infections. All it means is the Italy pandemic got going about 10 or 11 days before the US and without effective intervention the US infection curve will be very much like Italy's with an 11 day lag.
People keep going back to italy as a model and its not a valid one imho

Greater % of older people
They enacted border meaningful border controls much further into the expansion of cases/m population
The "quarantine" was a quarantine in name only until the end of this week.
They had a super spreader that was responsible for "seeding" a huge number of infections which in turn created several others etc etc etc before it was stopped

We could go on and on with examples of real differences between the US and its response to date and Italy's

With that said.....people demonstrated in supermarkets that they're incapable of doing the right thing......things are gonna get ugly because people suck

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nothing like cattle herding a shit ton of people together when there's an airborne pandemic virus on the loose that has a 5 day average period of having no symptoms but being 100% contagious!

Great job government! Keep it up!
If it were up to me I'd award you with the dumbest or drunkest post of the day......

Gov has been BEGGING people for 2 mos to increase social distancing and not herd up........

How the eff can you blame "Gov"?

You cant......people getting sick is 100% a function of individuals choosing to make darwin awards scale choices despite being told NOT to

xtry51

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
If it were up to me I'd award you with the dumbest or drunkest post of the day......

Gov has been BEGGING people for 2 mos to increase social distancing and not herd up........

How the eff can you blame "Gov"?

You cant......people getting sick is 100% a function of individuals choosing to make darwin awards scale choices despite being told NOT to
Because government is funneling them all into customs together.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Because government is funneling them all into customs together.
No one forced them to travel did they?

NO

They made that choice on their own despite a f***ing mountain of evidence telling them it was a bad idea.

Maybe its time you put the bottle down my friend

TLB

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Modelling, shmodelling.

The best short term forecast is usually to project the current trend.

A projection is just a best curve fit to current data.

The projection will be accurate if there are no effective measures taken to contain the spread of infection.

When the actual number of infections consistently falls short of the projection, we will know we/they are making progress in containing the pandemic or the numbers are being fudged.
At least we are (finally) doing something to hopefully change the trajectory. Fingers crossed it works.

Last edited:

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
At least we are (finally) doing something to hopefully change the trajectory. Fingers crossed it works.
Gonna get a lot worse unless people stop packing themselves into small spaces with one another (people they dont know).......

They can close the schools easy/peasy

They're going to need to come up with some scheme to reduce the number of morons permitted to occupy a food store or this is gonna continue to explode

Odd/even license plate scheme ala 1970's? Mebbe......

Form a line outside and they allow 1 person per aisle in the store (on avg) and the person has 12 mins to get shit/get out or they're booted.......dunno....maybe

Because people wont voluntarily do the social distancing thing the stores or gov are gonna have to put rules in place and enforce them

Lines outside the store are probably marginally better than people packed inside......

Last edited:
Reactions: TLB
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hell no. Lol.
I almost hope he has it. Beats it, just to piss off Nancy and Chuck. And every msm commentator.
"You ain't ever getting rid of me"
He and Pence should fake their own deaths and time it so that the day she has to take the oath is her birthday and right when Pelosi is about to take the oath of office they jump out of a giant cake screaming "SURPRISE!"

Top Bottom