Another respiratory virus from China (Coronavirus Megathread)

Atlantis

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is morbid, but my girlfriend was a little shaken up about the thought of her parents being left to die due to pre-existing conditions/age. She felt that if you are going to triage someone with clear/imminent respiratory failure and tell them they wont get any care, you should provide the option to be assisted into death. Button with a morphine drip or something, press this 7 times and its all over kinda thing. Why make people go through with drowning in their own fluids?

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is morbid, but my girlfriend was a little shaken up about the thought of her parents being left to die due to pre-existing conditions/age. She felt that if you are going to triage someone with clear/imminent respiratory failure and tell them they wont get any care, you should provide the option to be assisted into death. Button with a morphine drip or something, press this 7 times and its all over kinda thing. Why make people go through with drowning in their own fluids?
We will be all tested. As with everything else there will be those who will become the part of the system which, as we can see it already, will be overwhelmed. My recommendation is to learn as much as we can from Europe and Asia. Let's stop being "surprised". This is not an ordinary flu and this will hit us. Knowledge is available, let's not waste time hoping.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
i have been careful when going out, wiping down the cart handles, using sanitizer when i get back in the car.

But at what point should i start wearing a mask, and nitrile gloves, when i leave the car? And what locations? Like, is going into a CVS more dangerous because i am more likely to meet sick people in there buying medicine, and Home Depot is ok since more likely sick people are not going lumber shopping today?

Is MA more dangerous than southern NH?

I do not want to use up my protective equipment too soon, because i might really need it a month or two from now. But if i am being stingy, and catch the black shakes now....my stinginess will not pay off!
I think it depends on your area.

However, last night I made a trip to my local walmart. I wore my full face PAPR.
Not because I was worried about the virus, but rather I wanted to test how well it worked.
I dont want something unexpected to happen when I really need it. Everything worked flawlessly, 30 minute shopping trip, no battery drain, no face screen fogging. I did get a little warm around my neck and shoulders. And head movements were limited, I had to move as if I had a stiff neck.

The store was pretty empty, not a lot of shoppers as it was close to closing.

I did notice some people laughing.

But they should have took a look in my cart first.
They would have noticed I had ice cream. While they were scrounging for leftover food.

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Spanish flu” was originated in USA, killed 50 million...Unless China created the virus in a lab.
Again, this virus was not created in a lab! This virus was collected in order to be "weaponized". Such was a common practice in any communist army.
Only idiot would believe that this virus suddenly visited us because come Chinese were eating bats. Chinese were eating bats for centuries!

Media keeps repeating the absolute non-sense. They keep pointing to a Chinese market. Well, if one soldier will walk contaminated to a local Market Basket are we going to blame their delicious bread baked daily, or are we going to open the Pandora's box and acknowledge that, once again, humans were playing with a fire again?

Last edited:

ProGun

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0

However, last night I made a trip to my local walmart. I wore my full face PAPR.
Not because I was worried about the virus, but rather I wanted to test how well it worked.
I dont want something unexpected to happen when I really need it. Everything worked flawlessly, 30 minute shopping trip, no battery drain, no face screen fogging. I did get a little warm around my neck and shoulders. And head movements were limited, I had to move as if I had a stiff neck.

They would have noticed I had ice cream. While they were scrounging for leftover food.
I'd imagine this would look a bit funny at Walmart.[laugh]

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

Pics or it didnt happen.

cmcgraw2

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is what is coming. Pay attention!:

View: https://youtu.be/wohTFdqCurA
That is from March 4. I wonder how optimistic he is today? Strange he notes that many/most early cases presented with bacterial pneumonia. I wonder how many Italians are vaccinated? It seems that might be something easy to booster here too.

TLB

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Again, this virus was not created in a lab! This virus was collected in order to be "weaponized". Such was a common practice in any communist army.
Only idiot would believe that this virus suddenly visited us because come Chinese were eating bats. Chinese were eating bats for centuries!
Viruses in animals do change and then make the jump to people.

I highly recommend this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw

You can jump to 18 minutes if you want.

The prions that cause chronic wasting in deer are also discussed, This guys believes that prions have changed since the last detailed studies years ago to be closer to being able to inject humans.

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
So if a kid supposedly got this from something as innocuous getting an autograph from an infected basketball player, whats to stop this from being spread through the mail?

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Because there are a lot of drugs that are already in short supply and because ~90% of our commonly used meds come directly or indirectly from china we're likely to be facing severe shortages in coming months if serious steps are not taken to ramp up production here in the US......Trump administration is aware/working on this issue.....but its not an over night thing.......

Politicians arent the only ones to blame.....folks who have been willing to take the cheap/lower quality chinese option over american made for the last 40 years share the blame.

The faster people decide and demand we get off the chinese teat and treat medicine supply chain same as we do DoD related materials/goods the fewer people will die now and in future

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So if a kid supposedly got this from something as innocuous getting an autograph from an infected basketball player, whats to stop this from being spread through the mail?
Virus lives for up to 3 days on surfaces according to recent study.....

Same with goods/products from supermarket......while its an imperfect solutions its why many of us wipe stuff down with chlorox wipes when it comes into the house/before it goes into cubbard

Fresh food gets a good wash in sink before it goes into fridge

daggrant99

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Virus lives for up to 3 days on surfaces according to recent study.....

Same with goods/products from supermarket......while its an imperfect solutions its why many of us wipe stuff down with chlorox wipes when it comes into the house/before it goes into cubbard

Fresh food gets a good wash in sink before it goes into fridge
That's what we've been doing here, just using viva paper towels soaked in rubbing alcohol.

Reactions: jpk

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
United States: travel ban from Europe goes into effect today at 23:59 ET [original document] Applies to foreign nationals that have been to a country within the Schengen area in the past 14 days

So the travel from EU for foreign nationals is shut down.....

Currently UK and Ireland are not included in the ban........expect UK to be added to it immanently.......UK is up almost 350 confirmed cases today alone.....

Ireland doesnt have any new reported cases today but their rate/million is even higher than the UK......

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
United States: travel ban from Europe goes into effect today at 23:59 ET [original document] Applies to foreign nationals that have been to a country within the Schengen area in the past 14 days

So the travel from EU for foreign nationals is shut down.....

Currently UK and Ireland are not included in the ban........expect UK to be added to it immanently.......UK is up almost 350 confirmed cases today alone.....

Ireland doesnt have any new reported cases today but their rate/million is even higher than the UK......
So how does this work exactly? No flights from these places or no citizens from these places? What Im getting at is can someone from Italy travel to UK and then fly to the US? Is it that easy? Recall a while back people were traveling from China to Thailand and then on to the US.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So how does this work exactly? No flights from these places or no citizens from these places? What Im getting at is can someone from Italy travel to UK and then fly to the US? Is it that easy? Recall a while back people were traveling from China to Thailand and then on to the US.
UK is no longer part of EU (eeeew) so people going to the UK have to present passports and they should be getting stamped as I understand it.

Regardless, the person has a passport from Italy and I believe/suspect that this alone would trigger a red flag and they probably would not be permitted to board the plane in the UK

Rinse and repeat for any EU passport holder......thats how I understand it anyways.....could be wrong

Atlantis

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will be all tested. As with everything else there will be those who will become the part of the system which, as we can see it already, will be overwhelmed. My recommendation is to learn as much as we can from Europe and Asia. Let's stop being "surprised". This is not an ordinary flu and this will hit us. Knowledge is available, let's not waste time hoping.
It is already hitting us. There is only so much that can be done with knowledge. I have a choice to either go to work Monday or risk losing my job. It's a task that can not be done remotely, and there are few if any on our team other than myself qualified/knowledgeable enough. I will likely go, with a full face P100, gloves, and do my best to stay isolated. But the reality is that unless you have the financial cushion to just bail out and bug in, it's more a matter of when than if. The lessons will be learned, finances put in order for future events, we (my family) will be better positioned to ride out the next one, but THIS ONE is right here, right now.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It is already hitting us. There is only so much that can be done with knowledge. I have a choice to either go to work Monday or risk losing my job. It's a task that can not be done remotely, and there are few if any on our team other than myself qualified/knowledgeable enough. I will likely go, with a full face P100, gloves, and do my best to stay isolated. But the reality is that unless you have the financial cushion to just bail out and bug in, it's more a matter of when than if. The lessons will be learned, finances put in order for future events, we (my family) will be better positioned to ride out the next one, but THIS ONE is right here, right now.
Take with a bucket of salt

Dont know specifically what you do wrt HVAC but all of my friends that are/were techs had little to no interaction with people........they show up, diagnose issue replace parts/jumper shit out as needed, validate shit works and bug out......these were all commercial techs vs home oriented hvac

The guys I know that still work in the trade are not worried about shit based on above

Atlantis

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take with a bucket of salt

Dont know specifically what you do wrt HVAC but all of my friends that are/were techs had little to no interaction with people........they show up, diagnose issue replace parts/jumper shit out as needed, validate shit works and bug out......these were all commercial techs vs home oriented hvac

The guys I know that still work in the trade are not worried about shit based on above
Being on site my exposure is limited, but getting on site in Cambridge? Within a mile of the Biogen office? Call me paranoid but its not exactly my first choice for a daytrip.

Reactions: jpk

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Being on site my exposure is limited, but getting on site in Cambridge? Within a mile of the Biogen office? Call me paranoid but its not exactly my first choice for a daytrip.
You may be better off than us here in NH now that that mAss schools are closed and all the ma**h***s have fled to NH for a ski vacation/bug out to second homes......

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Was it empty before you got there, or did it clear out the minute they saw you in full hazmat protection?

[rofl]

So i had to get some lumber at home despot. things went pretty well. I wiped down my lumber cart with a sanitizer, did my shopping. There was some a**h*** coughing in the lighting isle, and at that point i wished i HAD worn an N95 mask. If you think of it, some guy might be hacking up a lung, and leaves the isle, and you show up there 30 seconds later...unaware of the floating drops of death hovering in the air....so i guess it IS mask up time from now on.

ONE THING i have to do is watch my credit card more. Was checking out, the credit card did not read, and before i could do something, the cashier reached over, pulled my card out and reinsterted it, and then i am staring at it...in the card reader, saying "PLEASE REMOVE YOUR (disease covered) CARD)". Similar thing happened at a sushi restaurant...we sit down...the hostess sneaks up behind us, grabs our chopsticks and removes them from the paper wrapper and hands them to us....i would have PREFERRED she not touch our eating utensils. Keep your eyes open.

I am bringing lysol wipes along for pumping gas, using ATM keypads, etc.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With shortages of masks, people may want to reuse them for short durations over time. I found this and posted earlier in the thread awhile back.

Seems like you could put it in the ziplock like in the video and then put it in the sun until you use it again. The same person reusing a mask would seem better than going with no mask at all (say on a brief run to the store for food, etc).

Spraying with alcohol etc, may moisten and damage the structure, I'm figuring.
they say the coronavirus can only survive on plastic surfaces for a couple hours, 24 hours max. So just let the thing air dry for a day or two and away you go.

I was wondering a while ago if you could just pop it into an overn at 130 deg F for 30 minutes....that should do it too.

mibro

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
...or do it the Chinese way, throw the no-hopers into body bags and cremate them.

JK

Last edited:

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is from March 4. I wonder how optimistic he is today? Strange he notes that many/most early cases presented with bacterial pneumonia. I wonder how many Italians are vaccinated? It seems that might be something easy to booster here too.
I was wondering if the Pneumonia shot they make you get when you get over 60...is effective on coronavirus, and stops the pneumonia from it?

Top Bottom