Another respiratory virus from China (Coronavirus Megathread)

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I swear I saw the crawl on the bottom of Fox saying something about a 28 day quarantine and I think it was in regards to the new people arriving from that cruise ship. I can't find confirmation of that online.
28 Days?

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
My sister and her husband finally decided to bail out from Shanghai, they are going to be in quarantine when they arrive back in the states, not sure how long. The
university they were teaching at was telling everyone to work remotely and presumably the students to attend class remotely. Maybe this will be the first shot fired in a shift in how
college is sold, and nobody will physically go to class anymore, and just attend by internet and not pay $70k a year. That would be a nice side effect.

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My sister and her husband finally decided to bail out from Shanghai, they are going to be in quarantine when they arrive back in the states, not sure how long. The
university they were teaching at was telling everyone to work remotely and presumably the students to attend class remotely. Maybe this will be the first shot fired in a shift in how
college is sold, and nobody will physically go to class anymore, and just attend by internet and not pay $70k a year. That would be a nice side effect.
Good to hear. They will be much better off here.

Bob

mass

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Comast will raise internet fees to $70,000 per year.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well that is the reality check, hopefully the public health authorities from the civilized world will be able to get accurate data on the course of the infection of the
people on the ship, and get a more clear picture of how dangerous it really is. A sample size of several hundred starts to make statistical significance.
No thanks to the Chinese gov't. We just need to see what the WHO/CDC figures out in about two or three weeks. (Unless Donald Trump tells them to cook the
data for no good reason, like he did with Hurricane Dorian)
I'm not caught up on the thread, but this week the CDC finally agreed with China that it spreads when you're asymptomatic, and they also said something about it being a long incubation period, and you may recover temporarily before it gets worse.

These two things pretty much mean it's going to spread across the world, there will be no containing it. At the same time it doesn't seem dangerous to kids, and CDC said a lot of people will just get a sore throat and recover.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
As unpleasant as it is to think about, and at the risk of sounding like some sort of globalist environazi, this sort of thing might be a net positive for humanity long term if it shakes out the weak but doesn’t mutate and take out everyone.

Atlantis

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not caught up on the thread, but this week the CDC finally agreed with China that it spreads when you're asymptomatic, and they also said something about it being a long incubation period, and you may recover temporarily before it gets worse.

These two things pretty much mean it's going to spread across the world, there will be no containing it. At the same time it doesn't seem dangerous to kids, and CDC said a lot of people will just get a sore throat and recover.
At this point I think you are spot on, this is going to be with humanity for awhile. The real question is how many infections require hospital grade care to avoid fatality. That number will impact the effective fatality rate, depending on if it exceeds the capacity of our healthcare system. Hopefully we start to get some answers as it begins to take a foothold outside of the propaganda factory that is China.

In God We Trust

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
At this point I think you are spot on, this is going to be with humanity for awhile. The real question is how many infections require hospital grade care to avoid fatality. That number will impact the effective fatality rate, depending on if it exceeds the capacity of our healthcare system. Hopefully we start to get some answers as it begins to take a foothold outside of the propaganda factory that is China.
Can we go ahead and just nuke China?

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain the whole “reinfection” thing to me? Are they saying you can catch this more than one time? Are there other viruses that behave like this?
Reinfection can be due to a virus mutating so your immune system doesn't recognize it and fight it. Or it could hide in your body. Lyme (bacterial) invades your cells and then secretes a bio film to keep the antibiotics from getting in and killing it. Some viruses can hide in the body and re-emerge later (herpes/chicken pox/ shingles). Most are eliminated once you recover. IMO I'm not sure they know enough about COVID19 yet to determine exactly why there is a reinfection. If it's a false recovery or a mutation. Either is bad.

In God We Trust

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Reinfection can be due to a virus mutating so your immune system doesn't recognize it and fight it. Or it could hide in your body. Lyme (bacterial) invades your cells and then secretes a bio film to keep the antibiotics from getting in and killing it. Some viruses can hide in the body and re-emerge later (herpes/chicken pox/ shingles). Most are eliminated once you recover. IMO I'm not sure they know enough about COVID19 yet to determine exactly why there is a reinfection. If it's a false recovery or a mutation. Either is bad.
Thanks for the nightmares. Ugh this shit gonna be bad

McReef

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Bubonic plague is given credit for the rise of the middle class in Europe. Prior to, wealth was very much concentrated in the hands of a few.

With large portions of the populace wiped out, Kong’s found themselves with fewer knights. Land was more abundant and wealth spread.

The bubonic plague was a blessing for the poor. Not so much for the nobility.
I doubt there are many who aren’t familiar with his stuff, but I never like to waste a chance to plug Dan Carlin. He hits on some of what teaser mentioned there in episode #13 “Bubonic Nukes”. Worth a listen if all this talk has put you in the mood for some dark history.

Last edited:

In God We Trust

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I doubt there are many who aren’t familiar with his stuff, but I never like to waste a chance to plug Dan Carlin. He hits on some of what teaser mentioned there in episode #13 “Bubonic Nukes”. Worth a listen if all this talk has put you in the mood for some dark history.
Love Dan Carlin.

McReef

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As unpleasant as it is to think about, and at the risk of sounding like some sort of globalist environazi, this sort of thing might be a net positive for humanity long term if it shakes out the weak but doesn’t mutate and take out everyone.
This stuff is not often talked about as it can be a very fine line to walk, but you can look back on most of humanities darkest times and find positive impacts that most likely would never have occurred otherwise. It is unpleasant to think about, yes, but you speak the truth. Like @teaser452 alluded to, the bubonic plague played a huge role in profoundly reshaping society in a positive way. It just did so at a terrible cost.

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
LOL.

Yep, there are many that feel that a "culling" of certain groups, or a "cleansing" of the "weak", can be a good thing (I guess its sorta in line with the theory of evolving and evolution). But their tune and opinion would likely change pretty darn fast if they were to find out that either they themselves, or someone that they care about or love, "qualifies" as one that is to be culled or cleansed.

So, I guess you could say that FWIW, i'm not of the above mindset.

Last edited:

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
In that situation everyone likely loses someone, if not multiple someones. Just looking at it objectively, not rooting for it.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For sure, people close to you will die in a pandemic. Or even you.

My grandmother told us stories of the Spanish flu. She was a kid. But her parents were very worried. And many died, including her sister. That’s why you have 14 kids. In case one dies I guess.

There is nothing I can control about it except to stay alert. I’m really not super happy at the prospect of 20% of the population dead. I could be one. My wife or kids or friends and family could/would be casualties.

It’s akin to marvel’s Endgame. The world would be different with half the people gone. A lot different. And not in a good way for the most part.

McReef

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But back then the measurent of we wealth we very different. What about now? Its not so much land based etc.
Back then it was a question of skills and raw manpower or supply and demand. Same would presumably apply today following a similar event. Essentially, less people means each person is worth more. That is a drastic oversimplification of course, but generally applicable.

McReef

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In that situation everyone likely loses someone, if not multiple someones. Just looking at it objectively, not rooting for it.
I wouldn’t imagine so. That right there is the problem with talking about the “good” that might come from it. The “bad” hardly bears thinking about.
I am still rooting for it being nothing, and China’s actions just being the result of commie paranoia. The more time goes by, the less likely this looks. Time will tell.

In God We Trust

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
For sure, people close to you will die in a pandemic. Or even you.

My grandmother told us stories of the Spanish flu. She was a kid. But her parents were very worried. And many died, including her sister. That’s why you have 14 kids. In case one dies I guess.

There is nothing I can control about it except to stay alert. I’m really not super happy at the prospect of 20% of the population dead. I could be one. My wife or kids or friends and family could/would be casualties.

It’s akin to marvel’s Endgame. The world would be different with half the people gone. A lot different. And not in a good way for the most part.
Asians have the highest median IQ on earth and they seem to be the primary victims of this thing. Can’t see how that’s a net positive for us as a species.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Back then it was a question of skills and raw manpower or supply and demand. Same would presumably apply today following a similar event. Essentially, less people means each person is worth more. That is a drastic oversimplification of course, but generally applicable.
It meant technology had to be developed. Fields needed to be planted. Water needed to be obtained. With fewer people, yes, each person was more valuable and important.

Technology advanced because of a lack of people. Man power alone was no longer enough. Not enough men.

Its also an interesting point about the Roman Empire and the Greeks. Each society had slaves. And the Roman Empire essentially has an army of engineers.

cheap labor doesn’t inspire or necessitate technological advancement. It’s just easier to throw bodies at the problem.

Slavery held those societies back. As it did in the southern states.

Last edited:
Top Bottom