Another respiratory virus from China (Coronavirus Megathread)

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I'd wait for confirmation from a more reliable source before activating the bunker.

From another site:

"What I mean was, they (CBTVN) reported 6 cases in kansas that no one else reported, turned out to be "ghosts," non existent cases."

That's really the core issue here - isn't it?

How the hell do you know when it's time to push the red button and run to the bunker? Given the amount of mis-information, wrong information, varying information on how long it takes for people to show signs of infection - etc, it seems like it's going to be pretty hard to come up with a definitive guideline on when it's time to lockdown and go into quarantine.

One of NHCraigT's posts a little while back talked about how many workers the hospitals expect they'll lose if this thing really takes off. It mentioned daycare - because those will shut down. That's one of the many decision factors I've to weigh, among others. Both the wife and I can work from home if we have to - so that's a definite plus, but even that one can't be abused. If you're the 1st guy in the group who pulls the plug and says " screw that I'm not coming into work" -because you want to be ultra-safe, only to find out weeks later that the disease is NOT spreading - well then you're now on the list of paranoids among management. If you wait until it's absolutely clear that people are infected before you self-quarantine - well then given the amount of time it takes for the actual signs of sickness to be apparent - you may well have waited too damn long.

Then you've got people saying stuff like "it's no worse than the flu" , but that can't be reconciled with how the Chinese are reacting to this thing.

I know this probably sounds perverse - but that cruise ship that they've locked people up in - I'm watching that one closely , because if the disease spreads thruout the ship and a majority of the people get sick AND a whole bunch of people die, it's going to be really hard to deny the trajectory of this disease. The mainstream news has already been reporting on that ship every single night - so if it turns really bad - it's going to be REALLY hard to stuff that one back in the box.

All the stuff in China has (unfortunately) - a certain level of deniability as "tinfoil" , is in Japan - and western reporters have been watching it closely. That's a different dynamic.

I'm just slowly and methodically building up my preps.

The Berkey just arrived this morning!

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
If only there was an airfield Midway across the Pacific Ocean where we could care for and monitor infected Americans before sending them home.
I'd be willing to bet that the infrastructure on Midway to support airliner landings and the quarantining of 100's of people - just don't exist on Midway Island.

And it's not like it's WW2 any more - the US , despite pissing away billions and billions of dollars every year on "defense"- would take a project , like setting up a runway and building a tent city to house hundreds of people in quarantine... that would probably take two weeks in 1943.... into a multi year long project requiring Congressional approval.

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Scary Stuff:

He is running computer software that forecasts the infection rates, losses, and other data that we can expect will come, based on the published data that has been stated thus far (which has already been greatly criticized as being understated)

You can skip to around 15:00 to see some of the expected and anticipated large data numbers.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1631&v=AXrYMPW4kLU&feature=emb_logo

Last edited:

McReef

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So is anyone here on NES "out and about" = heading to the packy, 7-11, bank, post office, and running errands ..... looking like this yet?

View attachment 331713

[smile]🤪😬🤔😛😊

Where do you put your CCW?
So can you get that with a built in plate carrier? Maybe a bunch of molle all over the place? How about urban multi-cam, or even better, black multi-cam? I don’t see any NVG rails on that helmet either, is that thing even ballistic?

Last edited:

cmcgraw2

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this probably sounds perverse - but that cruise ship that they've locked people up in - I'm watching that one closely , because if the disease spreads thruout the ship and a majority of the people get sick AND a whole bunch of people die, it's going to be really hard to deny the trajectory of this disease. The mainstream news has already been reporting on that ship every single night - so if it turns really bad - it's going to be REALLY hard to stuff that one back in the box.

All the stuff in China has (unfortunately) - a certain level of deniability as "tinfoil" , is in Japan - and western reporters have been watching it closely. That's a different dynamic.

I'm just slowly and methodically building up my preps.

The Berkey just arrived this morning!
Shifting Ground in Coronavirus Fight: U.S. Will Evacuate Americans From Cruise Ship (NY Times paywall)

Various reporting that a charter plane will be there tomorrow to evacuate those who want to leave, implication is that infections are increasing due to their presence on the ship. Sick US passengers are SOL though (according to Fox News), I don't know what's happening to them. When they arrive back to the States they're looking at another two week quarantine. And, now other countries with passengers on board will probably evacuate their citizens too...

TLB

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I swear I saw the crawl on the bottom of Fox saying something about a 28 day quarantine and I think it was in regards to the new people arriving from that cruise ship. I can't find confirmation of that online.

fshalor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Did the SHTF in 2008-2009 when an estimated 13,000 died in the UK from seasonal flu?
Were people in the UK in 2008-2009 being locked in their buildings by armed dudes with metal and welders?

Did 100 million people stop working because they weren't allowed to?

What we see is NOT over a measly 13k dead people in 6 weeks. No. This is either China knowing something about this virus that we don't know which is pushing them to stop it at all costs. Or China hiding the real numbers.

If we also believe WHO, it's looking like option 2.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Scary Stuff:

He is running computer software that forecasts the infection rates, losses, and other data that we can expect will come, based on the published data that has been stated thus far (which has already been greatly criticized as being understated)

You can skip to around 15:00 to see some of the expected and anticipated large data numbers.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1631&v=AXrYMPW4kLU&feature=emb_logo
Without watching the video, what is he using to calculate the numbers? ... if everything we have is junk, that means that every simulation wont be any better than me saying there will be 50K cases in the US by mid April.

Reactions: TLB

TLB

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Were people in the UK in 2008-2009 being locked in their buildings by armed dudes with metal and welders?

What we see is NOT over a measly 13k dead people in 6 weeks. No. This is either China knowing something about this virus that we don't know which is pushing them to stop it at all costs. Or China hiding the real numbers.

I was referring to the video quoted where the British guy with the data added a column in his spreadsheet where things go to PANIC and then SHTF. For SHTF, he references 1000 deaths in the UK as the number.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So can you get that with a built in plate carrier? Maybe a bunch of mole all over the place? How about urban multi-cam, or even better, black multi-cam? I don’t see any NVG rails on that helmet either, is that thing even ballistic?
Better not got the version that has moles - they'll leave holes in it and the entire suit will be ruined.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only there was an airfield Midway across the Pacific Ocean where we could care for and monitor infected Americans before sending them home.
Sounds like a place there would be a lot of fighting over it in some world war.

Edit: Calsdad made my post unfunny by actually stating some facts and stuff. I'll be in my safe space until he apologizes for making my post unfunny.

Edit of an edit: It's not my fault I didn't read the entire thread before I tried. Anyway, let's get back to the pandemic, already in progress.

Last edited:

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I wonder what the long term fallout will be for China on the global stage? “Sorry about wiping out half the world, but we cool, right?”
If half the population in most/all "developed" countries were wiped out, the global elite (and the govs) would likely be thanking the Chinese. Remember, never let a crisis go to waste. "They" would likely use it as an excuse to force a global agenda on all of us along with an "economic reset."

cmcgraw2

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the NYT link - some older residents still prefer cash!

China’s banks scramble to disinfect cash.

The central banking authorities of China are disinfecting, stashing and reportedly even destroying cash in an effort to stop the spread of the coronavirus.
A People’s Bank of China branch in the southern city of Guangzhou is even destroying bank notes that came from hospitals, food markets and public transportation, according to a report by Nanfang, a state-owned outlet in Guangdong Province.
Many people in major Chinese cities use their smartphones primarily to pay for just about anything, increasingly rendering cash obsolete. But hundreds of millions of people in the country are not connected to the internet, and some older residents still prefer cash.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If half the population in most/all "developed" countries were wiped out, the global elite (and the govs) would likely be thanking the Chinese. Remember, never let a crisis go to waste. "They" would likely use it as an excuse to force a global agenda on all of us along with an "economic reset."
The Bubonic plague is given credit for the rise of the middle class in Europe. Prior to, wealth was very much concentrated in the hands of a few.

With large portions of the populace wiped out, Kong’s found themselves with fewer knights. Land was more abundant and wealth spread.

The bubonic plague was a blessing for the poor. Not so much for the nobility.

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can someone explain the whole “reinfection” thing to me? Are they saying you can catch this more than one time? Are there other viruses that behave like this?

Waher

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boston Gun & Rifle and Braintree Rifle & Pistol
Did the SHTF in 2008-2009 when an estimated 13,000 died in the UK from seasonal flu?
We can't trust the numbers out of China. The way the government is acting over there it seems like this bug has a 20% fatality rate and spreads as easily as the worst strains of the flu. There's no way they'd be kneecapping their economy over a 2% flu like fatality rate.

Look at the US cases. How many people have been sick for over 2 weeks and haven't recovered yet. Doesn't that worry you that people are taking that long to get better?

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

It is probably both.

Bob

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
We can't trust the numbers out of China. The way the government is acting over there it seems like this bug has a 20% fatality rate and spreads as easily as the worst strains of the flu. There's no way they'd be kneecapping their economy over a 2% flu like fatality rate.

Look at the US cases. How many people have been sick for over 2 weeks and haven't recovered yet. Doesn't that worry you that people are taking that long to get better?
Well that is the reality check, hopefully the public health authorities from the civilized world will be able to get accurate data on the course of the infection of the
people on the ship, and get a more clear picture of how dangerous it really is. A sample size of several hundred starts to make statistical significance.
No thanks to the Chinese gov't. We just need to see what the WHO/CDC figures out in about two or three weeks. (Unless Donald Trump tells them to cook the
data for no good reason, like he did with Hurricane Dorian)

TLB

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

My comment was about the video and the UK.

I don't trust China numbers either. I think the death rate there will be higher than everywhere else for many reasons.

Top Bottom