Another respiratory virus from China (Coronavirus Megathread)

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
We had canceled our plans to go to the Philippines this spring. Out of curiosity, I wanted to see what the flights cost. They usually begin at $1300 a person, usually much more around $1600 to $1700. I put in some dates, and... most are $700. Wow. The cheapest I had ever seen was $900 back in late 90's and I have never seen that price again. I guess no one wants to go to Asia!

mibro

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So here is my question... what does the brain trust think about quarantine orders? Would you abide? Does it depend on services provided? I.e. If government was providing food delivery/drop off, would you stay sheltered in place for the common good?
I doubt the gubmint will be delivering much food.

You'd have to be a sheep right now to not at least be stacking 25 or 50 lbs bags of rice from BJs. Its $20 per bag people.
This.

I'm having trouble mentally accepting what's coming.

Last edited:

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had canceled our plans to go to the Philippines this spring. Out of curiosity, I wanted to see what the flights cost. They usually begin at $1300 a person, usually much more around $1600 to $1700. I put in some dates, and... most are $700. Wow. The cheapest I had ever seen was $900 back in late 90's and I have never seen that price again. I guess no one wants to go to Asia!
From NYT:

Chinese state-run television announced on its website on Friday evening that everyone returning to Beijing would be required to isolate themselves for 14 days.

Anyone who does not comply “shall be held accountable according to law,” according to a text of the order released by state television. The order was issued by a Communist Party “leading group” at the municipal level, not the national Communist Party.

McReef

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
$700 and twelve hours to get there, $10k and three weeks to get back.

cmcgraw2

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how long does this stay alive and virulent enough to infect you if someone in say Newark or something sneezed on your item and Amazon got it to your door in a day or so?
Maybe Amazon will start disinfecting their packages before delivery, like JD.com is doing in China (as seen at the end of this video).

cmcgraw2

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is anyone here on NES "out and about" = heading to the packy, 7-11, bank, post office, and running errands ..... looking like this yet?

View attachment 331713

[smile]🤪😬🤔😛😊

Where do you put your CCW?
Don't forget an ordinary garden sprayer filled with diluted bleach - and spray everything you come into contact with!

sprayer.jpg

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was in BJ's in Salem, NH, today. Went to the bathroom. Out of 3 men already in there I was the only one who washed hands.

I do not need government to provide my family with services. We do not live in the city and we can survive for relatively long time.

Let's start by washing our hands and not touching eyes, face, nose and mouth. If we can accomplish just that we should be fine.
Yes, but with a caveat.

My workplace, the bathrooms are touchless except for the latch on the stall doors. The closer to that ideal the better. I don't understand AT ALL when the guy in the next stall rains mud, wipes, and walks out of the bathroom, but I hear it all the time. The soap and water does not hurt. Use it.

Now the caveat...

I used to commute on the train and once in a while had to make use of the facilities at South Station.

Mother Of GOD

I would have felt cleaner wiping by hand with no paper than using the sinks there. Perhaps they've improved.

Always wash your hands, provided the facility is properly maintained. Or even just maintained even if not properly.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Fairly confident I haven’t heard this actually discussed other than dismissive “it will be a shitshow if it happens” comments.

So here is my question... what does the brain trust think about quarantine orders? Would you abide? Does it depend on services provided? I.e. I’d government was providing food delivery/drop off, would you stay sheltered in place for the common good?
If there is a quarantine, where would you go?

Cant go to work.
Cant go get groceries - there will probably be people checking your "papers".
Cant go to the movies or a museum or anything public.

So, what can you do besides sitting at home or maybe going to the range?

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a quarantine, where would you go?

Cant go to work.
Cant go get groceries - there will probably be people checking your "papers".
Cant go to the movies or a museum or anything public.

So, what can you do besides sitting at home or maybe going to the range?
OMG! I could go for a 2 or 3 month quarantine! First I get caught up on my sleep. I have a ton of house and yard projects I rarely have the time and energy for. If I need a break from that I can park myself on the couch and watch a movie or read one of the many books I've saved for a SHTF scenario. I'm about to order garden seeds and can get everything ready for the summer garden. The cats would love the extra play time and lap time. Range in the back yard. And yes, I'm financially prepared for all the time off. I could go on but now it's time to go to work. :(

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As an FYI, this was posted on another forum on 2/10:

My wife works in marketing/procurement for a huge company- purchase orders for in excess of $1 mil USD, so high priority for the Chinese client. She received several emails today from various manufacturers in China regarding delays of products. They're all but shut down, 1 out of their 12 plants (located all throughout China) is operating and they're at 10% of capacity due to workers being sick/quarantined. Earliest they will be back up and running is 3/18 but a lot of that is dependent upon how many workers are still alive/healthy. This will have drastic effects on her company and hundreds of thousands of other companies worldwide, many may not survive.

Long/Short of this is that we still haven't seen the full effects of this shutdown/virus from an economic standpoint, we probably won't for quite some time.

Just figured I'd pass this along.

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OMG! I could go for a 2 or 3 month quarantine! First I get caught up on my sleep. I have a ton of house and yard projects I rarely have the time and energy for. If I need a break from that I can park myself on the couch and watch a movie or read one of the many books I've saved for a SHTF scenario. I'm about to order garden seeds and can get everything ready for the summer garden. The cats would love the extra play time and lap time. Range in the back yard. And yes, I'm financially prepared for all the time off. I could go on but now it's time to go to work. :(
A nice home sta-cation would be long awaited and finally full-filled.
Lots of reloading could finally get done & bullet casting & coating.
Gun internal parts upgrades & replacements.
The backyard target range could finally get the re-work & upgrades that it needs.
Firewood splitting.
House repair & upgrade projects.
The backlog of movies, series DVD's, and recorded shows could finally be watched.
Yard stuff.
etc. etc. etc.

:)

Last edited:

Devils Paintbrush

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

So either China is actually concerned that their coal fired plants are causing too much pollution... Or this article is a pre-emptive narrative for why there would be smog despite industrial shutdown that doesn't involve cremation.
I escaped from Xi'an on Jan 28th. The air quality was horrible there also. It was hazy the whole time I was there
Update on Chinese business activity:

This will be felt over here shortly.

I can speak a bit on the air quality in China...it is terrible. A corona virus emergency and reduced pollution would warm Greta Thunberg's heart for sure.

Picture I took in Xi'an on 1/22/20 from my hotel. The windows are dirty, but you get the idea.

I didn't wear a particle mask, maybe I should have for a multitude of reasons /s. On a couple of days my lungs were burning from breathing the air.

The sidewalks were always slippery from what ever was in the air that ended up on the sidewalks when they were wet. I only saw the sun on one day out of ten, and it was not clear.20200122_114100 - Copy.jpg

Top Bottom