Another respiratory virus from China (Coronavirus Megathread)

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
So how long does this stay alive and virulent enough to infect you if someone in say Newark or something sneezed on your item and Amazon got it to your door in a day or so?
There are various numbers being floated around about how long it lives on surfaces. Things like heat, humidity and the type of surface are all factors, but I’ve read about 10 days being possible.

I’m seriously considering bugging in soon.

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Interesting case today in Japan....

a man in his 60s who initially had a cold on Feb. 3, followed by a fever of 39° C. on Feb. 8, and then pneumonia on Feb. 10. He had traveled to Hawaii from Jan. 28 to Feb. 7.

So.....where did he get it and WHEN did he become symptomatic of COVID-19?

I suppose its possible he didnt get Wuhan until AFTER his return from Hawaii......but if he contracted it IN Hawaii or on return FROM Hawaii (on plane) that means its likely in Hawaii.......or some other traveller had spread wuhan on the place from a previous flight/leg and he got it on the plane

Any way you slice this it sounds like a hot mess/likely to develop into an outbreak along that chain of travel soon.....

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FACE MASKS A TRIGGER
Anti-Asian sentiment emerged in 2003 during the outbreak of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, or SARS, which also originated from China. That was before the emergence of social media platforms like Twitter, where racism, hoaxes and slurs get amplified.

The issue is not isolated to California.

New York City designer Yiheng Yu works in an office where many colleagues have recently returned from China and where she and others wear face masks as a precaution.

On one occasion when she wore a mask outside her office she was accosted by a woman.

“She started yelling, ‘Are you Crazy? Get the heck out of here,” said Yu, 34. “I realized it was because I was wearing a mask.”

Even coughs can provoke fear, said Ron Kim, a New York state assembly member representing a Queens district with a large Asian and Asian-American population.

“I had a staff member who was in the Albany train station and she was coughing a little bit and someone approached her asked if she had the virus,” said Kim, who on Feb. 7 established the Asian American Health Advisory Council to educate New Yorkers about the virus.

“We live in a very fear-driven society as it is, so if we add an extra layer it’s bound to happen, people are going to be ugly,” he added.

Chevy 2 65

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2/14/20

I don't speak military [rofl] . I get some of it but not all.

2.C. ALL ECHELON 2 AND BELOW COMMANDS IN NORTHCOM AOR IMMEDIATELY REPORT IF
AN INDIVIDUAL HAS BEEN PLACED UNDER QUARANTINE. SEND REPORT TO USFF/NAVNORTH
BWC (BWC.FFC.FCT(AT)NAVY.MIL) AND INFO ADMINISTRATIVE CHAIN OF COMMAND. ONLY
PROVIDE COMMAND NAME, LOCATION, RATE/RANK, GENDER AND AGE.

UNCLASSIFIED//
ROUTINE
R 071613Z FEB 20 MID110000404787U
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
TO NAVADMIN
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
BT
UNCLAS

NAVADMIN 033/20

PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N3N5//
MSGID/NAVADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/CNO/FEB//

SUBJ/OPNAV REPORTING GUIDANCE SUPPORTING DOD RESPONSE TO NOVEL CORONAVIRUS
OUTBREAK//

REF/A/OPLAN/NORTHCOM/DOD GCP-PI&ID-3551-13/15OCT13//
REF/B/EXORD/JOINT STAFF J3/012240ZFEB20//
REF/C/FRAGORD/NORTHCOM/040610ZFEB20//
REF/D/FRAGORD/NORTHCOM/050525ZFEB20//
NARR/REF A IS DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE (DOD) GLOBAL CAMPAIGN PLAN FOR PANDEMIC
INFLUENZA AND INFECTIOUS DISEASE.
REF B IS SECDEF-APPROVED EXORD THAT DIRECTS USNORTHCOM TO EXECUTE ITS
PANDEMIC PLAN 3551-13 AND SUPPORTING GEOGRAPHIC COMBATANT COMMANDERS EXECUTE
THEIR PANDEMIC PLANS IN RESPONSE TO THE NOVEL CORONAVIRUS (NCOV) OUTBREAK.
REF C IS CDRUSNORTHCOM FRAGO 121.003 TO OPORD 01-17 PROVIDES DIRECTION FOR
THE SERVICES, USNORTHCOM COMPONENTS AND SUBORDINATES, REGARDING THE
USNORTHCOM RESPONSE TO NCOV. REF D IS CDRUSNORTHCOM FRAGO 121.005 TO OPORD
01-17.// POC/CDR DARYL MEEKS/OPNAV N314/703-692-8350/DARYL.MEEKS(AT)NAVY.MIL/
CDR JAKE WADSLEY/OPNAV N310/703-692-9284/JAKE.WADSLEY(AT)NAVY.MIL/
CDR MARVIN PARK/OPNAV N5I1/703-692-9119/MARVIN.J.PARK(AT)NAVY.MIL/
CDR AYESSA TOLER/OPNAV N0931D/703-571-2948/AYESSA.TOLER(AT)NAVY.MIL//

RMKS/1. DOD IS IN PHASE ONE OF REF (A) CAMPAIGN PLAN. THE NCOV OUTBREAK
CONTINUES, WITH THE CENTER FOR DISEASE CONTROL (CDC) REPORTING SEVERAL
THOUSAND CASES WORLDWIDE, TO INCLUDE CASES IN THE UNITED STATES. DURING THE
NCOV OUTBREAK DOD PROTECTS AND PRESERVES THE OPERATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS OF
FORCES WORLDWIDE TO MAINTAIN MISSION ASSURANCE, AND THE ABILITY TO MEET
STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES. PER REFERENCE (A), USNORTHCOM EXECUTES ITS PANDEMIC
PLAN AND GEOGRAPHIC COMBATANT COMMANDERS EXECUTE THEIR SUPPORTING PANDEMIC
PLANS IN RESPONSE TO THE NCOV IN THEIR AOR IN ACCORDANCE WITH (IAW) REF (B).

2. REPORTING INSTRUCTIONS

2.A. IAW REF (C), ALL NAVY COMMANDS IN THE NORTHCOM AOR (CONUS, ALASKA,
PUERTO RICO/VIRGIN ISLANDS, CANADA, MEXICO, BAHAMAS AND BERMUDA) SHALL
COMPILE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AND SUBMIT VIA THEIR ECHELON 2 COMMAND TO
USFF/NAVNORTH PERSONNEL CRISIS ACTION TEAM (CATPERS.FFC.FCT(AT)NAVY.MIL) NLT
7 FEBRUARY 2020:

2.B. IDENTIFY NAME, UNIT AND DATES OF TRAVEL FOR PERSONNEL, TO INCLUDE
ACCOMPANYING FAMILY MEMBERS, WHO TRAVELED TO CHINA FROM 20 JAN-04 FEB.

2.C. ALL ECHELON 2 AND BELOW COMMANDS IN NORTHCOM AOR IMMEDIATELY REPORT IF
AN INDIVIDUAL HAS BEEN PLACED UNDER QUARANTINE. SEND REPORT TO USFF/NAVNORTH
BWC (BWC.FFC.FCT(AT)NAVY.MIL) AND INFO ADMINISTRATIVE CHAIN OF COMMAND. ONLY
PROVIDE COMMAND NAME, LOCATION, RATE/RANK, GENDER AND AGE.

2.D. ALL ECHELON 2 AND BELOW COMMANDS IN THE NORTHCOM AOR WHO, IF SERVICE
MEMBERS, CIVILIANS OR CONTRACTORS ARE SUSPECTED OF OR DIAGNOSED W/ NCOV,
SHALL IMMEDIATELY REPORT TO USFF/NAVNORTH BWC (BWC.FFC.FCT(AT) NAVY.MIL) AND
INFO THEIR ADMINISTRATIVE CHAIN OF COMMAND. ONLY PROVIDE COMMAND NAME,
LOCATION, RATE/RANK, GENDER AND AGE.

2.E. USFF/NAVNORTH WILL CONTACT THE COMMAND TO OBTAIN ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
AS NEEDED, THEN SUBMIT ALL REPORTING REQUIREMENTS TO NORAD-NORTHCOM COMMAND
CENTER (N2C2) LAND DOMAIN AND THE NAVY OPERATIONS CENTER. DIRECT
COMMUNICATION WITH N2C2 FOR THIS TASKING IS NOT AUTHORIZED.

3. IAW REF (D), NAVY INSTALLATIONS SUPPORTING REPATRIATION OPERATIONS SHALL
REPORT THE FOLLOWING CCIRS IMMEDIATELY TO N2C2 LAND DOMAIN, OPNAV BWC, AND
USFF /NAVNORTH BWC:

3.A. ANY KNOWN SUSPECTED INFECTION OF A DOD SERVICE MEMBER EXECUTING THE NCOV
RESPONSE OPERATION.

3.B. THE DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY OF A PASSENGER.

3.C. THREATS DIRECTED AGAINST DOD INSTALLATIONS AND/OR PERSONNEL SUPPORTING
NCOV OPERATIONS.

3.D. ANY ACTIVITY OR ACTION ASSOCIATED WITH REPATRIATION OPERATIONS THAT MAY
DISCREDIT MILITARY SUPPORT OR GARNER UNWANTED PUBLIC ATTENTION.

3.E. UNAUTHORIZED DEPARTURE FROM THE INSTALLATION OF ANY PASSENGER.

3.F. ANY CHANGE IN THE SITUATION THAT PREVENTS DOD FROM FULFILLING ITS
OBLIGATION TO THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES (HHS).

4. IAW REF (D), NAVY INSTALLATIONS SUPPORTING REPATRIATION OPERATIONS SHALL
REPORT THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION WITHIN 4 HOURS TO N2C2 LAND DOMAIN, OPNAV
BWC, AND USFF/NAVNORTH BWC:

4.A. REPORT ANY DEVIATION FROM THE PLAN OR REQUEST FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF
HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES (HHS) THAT REQUIRES ADDITIONAL DOD RESOURCES.

4.B. NEGATIVE IMPACTS AS A RESULT OF REPATRIATION OPERATIONS, TO INCLUDE BUT
NOT LIMITED TO OPERATIONAL READINESS, MISSION ASSURANCE, PRIORITY MISSIONS
/OPERATIONS, CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE, AND FORCE HEALTH PROTECTION.

4.C. AUTHORIZED DEPARTURE FROM INSTALLATION OF ANY PASSENGER: REASON AND
DESTINATION.

4.D. RETURN TO THE INSTALLATION OF ANY PASSENGER.

4.E. ANY INCIDENT REQUIRING US FEDERAL MARSHAL OR BASE SECURITY INTERVENTION.

4.F. SIGNIFICANT CONCERNS FOR LOCAL COMMUNITY OFFICIALS.

4.G. ANY CHANGE TO AVAILABLE BILLET ROOMS.

4.H. ANY REQUESTED ADDITIONS TO QUARANTINE REQUIREMENTS FROM HHS/ASPR.

5. POCS FOR REPORTING.
USFF/NAVNORTH IS USFF BATTLE WATCH CAPTAIN, 757-836-5397, EMAIL
BWC.FFC.FCT(AT)NAVY.MIL.
N2C2 LAND DOMAIN IS 719-554-2359, EMAIL N-NC.PETERSON.N-NCN2N2.MBX.LAND -
OMB(AT)MAIL.MIL.
OPNAV IS OPNAV BATTLE WATCH CAPTAIN, 703-692-9284, EMAIL
BWC.PTGN(AT)NAVY.MIL.

6. RELEASED BY VADM P. G. SAWYER, DEPUTY CHIEF OF NAVAL OPERATIONS FOR
OPERATIONS, PLANS AND POLICY, OPNAV N3/N5.//

BT
NNNN
UNCLASSIFIED//

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FACE MASKS A TRIGGER
Anti-Asian sentiment emerged in 2003 during the outbreak of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, or SARS, which also originated from China. That was before the emergence of social media platforms like Twitter, where racism, hoaxes and slurs get amplified.

The issue is not isolated to California.

New York City designer Yiheng Yu works in an office where many colleagues have recently returned from China and where she and others wear face masks as a precaution.

On one occasion when she wore a mask outside her office she was accosted by a woman.

“She started yelling, ‘Are you Crazy? Get the heck out of here,” said Yu, 34. “I realized it was because I was wearing a mask.”

Even coughs can provoke fear, said Ron Kim, a New York state assembly member representing a Queens district with a large Asian and Asian-American population.

“I had a staff member who was in the Albany train station and she was coughing a little bit and someone approached her asked if she had the virus,” said Kim, who on Feb. 7 established the Asian American Health Advisory Council to educate New Yorkers about the virus.

“We live in a very fear-driven society as it is, so if we add an extra layer it’s bound to happen, people are going to be ugly,” he added.
Again

You humans have an ABSOLUTE FETISH for gathering in one place to beat on drums or whatever it is you do. STOP IT.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These young women are brave as are all the Chinese medical staff fighting this epidemic.

I wonder if American doctors and nurses will match this heroism when their time comes?
I'd bet a lot of chinese medical professionals are being told by the chicom to play ball or off to a work camp you go.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Will be interesting to see if they try to enforce some sort of quarantine here if it gets going. Will the commie states be the first to make it mandatory?

Atlantis

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be interesting to see if they try to enforce some sort of quarantine here if it gets going. Will the commie states be the first to make it mandatory?
Fairly confident I haven’t heard this actually discussed other than dismissive “it will be a shitshow if it happens” comments.

So here is my question... what does the brain trust think about quarantine orders? Would you abide? Does it depend on services provided? I.e. I’d government was providing food delivery/drop off, would you stay sheltered in place for the common good?

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Fairly confident I haven’t heard this actually discussed other than dismissive “it will be a shitshow if it happens” comments.

So here is my question... what does the brain trust think about quarantine orders? Would you abide? Does it depend on services provided? I.e. I’d government was providing food delivery/drop off, would you stay sheltered in place for the common good?
I suspect it is more likely they'll just cover stuff up, downplay it, and let people go about their business and die, rather than have quarantine here.

But, I don't have much problem with quarantine. I'll quarantine myself orders or not. Most people are going to need a way to temporarily not be quarantined to get the stuff they need though. I have lots of beans and rice in the basement, but even I don't want to eat it every day. I can telecommute, assuming there's still a job to telecommute to. My wife can't though... she manufactures stuff so she has to be at the business location. Ironically, it's stuff that's used in masks. But, that doesn't really help us get free masks or anything.

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was in BJ's in Salem, NH, today. Went to the bathroom. Out of 3 men already in there I was the only one who washed hands.

I do not need government to provide my family with services. We do not live in the city and we can survive for relatively long time.

Let's start by washing our hands and not touching eyes, face, nose and mouth. If we can accomplish just that we should be fine.

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect it is more likely they'll just cover stuff up, downplay it, and let people go about their business and die, rather than have quarantine here.

But, I don't have much problem with quarantine. I'll quarantine myself orders or not. Most people are going to need a way to temporarily not be quarantined to get the stuff they need though. I have lots of beans and rice in the basement, but even I don't want to eat it every day. I can telecommute, assuming there's still a job to telecommute to. My wife can't though... she manufactures stuff so she has to be at the business location. Ironically, it's stuff that's used in masks. But, that doesn't really help us get free masks or anything.
I have said it here on NES many times; Do not count on any government! It does not matter if it is red or blue, make sure you are informed and ready for anything. I have been in many situations in which governments collapsed and those dependent on them collapsed with them. The most difficult thing to do is to establish a discipline in your own family. Discipline is an ugly word in America, but it saves lives.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1228464581011529728

Last edited:

McReef

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm 58 years old...
Am I the only 58 year old here who has noticed that every year, for 58 years (and probably for 68 years, 78 years etc for all the 68 or 78 year olds here, etc etc).. for my entire 58 years the media has (every year!) announced a new "virus" or "deadly plague" or "threat to mankind and the entire planet" (etc etc) that should scare the bleep out of all of us and...and...."And tune in tonight at 6pm and 11pm for more on this potentially devastating (blah blah)....But for now, please stay with us while we take a brief break for a word from our sponsors.."

Just sayin'
This is absolutely true. It is also absolutely true that one of these times it won’t be bullshit.

Never hurts to keep up to date with what’s going on out there. That being said, it’s not like anyone can do anything about it anyway. Containment is a fantasy. If it is bad enough to worry about, nobody is stopping it, plain and simple.

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is absolutely true. It is also absolutely true that one of these times it won’t be bullshit.

Never hurts to keep up to date with what’s going on out there. That being said, it’s not like anyone can do anything about it anyway. Containment is a fantasy. If it is bad enough to worry about, nobody is stopping it, plain and simple.
Idiots in MA (Maaahty & company) assuring citizens just now that Boston Chinatown needs business and people should not be afraid to eat in restaurants. At the same time some doctor is assuring television viewers that the regular flu season is in it's peak and it is brutal.

This is a great example of the government at work.

Avoid crowds, wash your hands and you will be fine.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Idiots in MA (Maaahty & company) assuring citizens just now that Boston Chinatown needs business and people should not be afraid to eat in restaurants. At the same time some doctor is assuring television viewers that the regular flu season is in it's peak and it is brutal.

This is a great example of the government at work.

Avoid crowds, wash your hands and you will be fine.
I hope they realize that by pointing out the need to do business in Chinatown, that will make people remember that they have a reason to avoid going down there.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0

Are there still people here that don’t have a years worth of food stored? I’m ready to nail the doors shut today.

Top Bottom