Another respiratory virus from China (Coronavirus Megathread)

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strangely enough and it has been stated already but this virus is like sick celled anemia to Africans. It may affect some races more severely than others as I’ve heard. The 3D model was completed by a certain Professor Gerton (sp?) from WPI in Worcester. So similar to the sars virus. I’m not a cellular biologist or pathologist to speak with any authority but this virus will mutate I’m sure. It might have been best that this didn’t happen in early fall of ‘19. It might have ruined my hunting season.
It's sickle cell anemia

cmcgraw2

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Memo to Bernie bros: When college is free (or greatly subsidized), private property is low priority....these students' dormitory rooms were requisitioned for more quarantine space.

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

LittleCalm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Thanks. The constant sick thing is something that I don't recall ever being warned about before we had the kid. The thing is - he gets sick - and he gets me sick too. So I've just lost track of how many times I've been sick over the last year. And I get stuff that I don't think I ever usually get. A month or so ago - I threw up three times over the course of a day. He gave me some sort of stomach bug that really sent me for a loop. And the thing was - I pretty much never vomit. The last time I can recall vomiting was probably 3 decades ago when I was in my 20's and still used to out drinking with friends.

We're pretty good with keeping him away from stuff he shouldn't be touching - and we've gotten him to the point where he actually likes washing his hands. But when he's in daycare there's no control at all as near as I can see. My wife said she saw a kid shoving his hands down his pants the other morning, and you just know he was going around touching all the other kids after he pulled his finger out of his butt. Hello hand, foot and mouth disease.

I figure my disease vector for getting cornhola virus probably runs directly thru my son. I'm told the wife to keep a close eye on that Chinese kid that shows up in his room some days.
Kids = human Petri dishes. Good luck and hang in there. Once they get to be about 10 it starts to ease up. When they are teens they are mostly getting sick with “normal” colds a few times a year. Until then, when there’s a new strain of flu (remember H1N1?), you’ll catch it. We did.

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Germaphobe. Not sick. I’m on heightened alert. [laugh]
Wear a mask or ask the LMT to mask up. When clients come in sick, and they do, I put a mask on, sometimes they get offended. Tough shyt.
2 weeks ago I had a client that showed up for a couples massage with a cold. I asked if she was sick. She said I'm at the end of a cold. I said "How close to the end?" she thought about it and then said. "I have a cold." If it wasn't a couples session I would have refused to work on her. I wore a mask. Didn't get sick. Also didn't get much of a gratuity. LOL!

But this is how all this crap spreads. People don't care if they infect others. They just want what they want.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Was 40,000 plus yesterday

Coronavirus Cases:
view by country
Deaths:

Country,
Territory

Total Cases
Feb 12
Cases
Total
Deaths
Feb 12
Deaths
Total
Recovered
Total
Severe
China59,573+14,9201,361+2485,6438,230
Japan203+14
Hong Kong50+111
Singapore50+3158
Thailand33101
S. Korea284
Malaysia183
Taiwan181
Germany16
Australia155
Vietnam156
USA133
France111
Macao102
U.K.9+11
U.A.E.811
Canada71
Philippines312
India3
Italy32
Russia2
Spain2
Still looking for a DATA source showing country, newly confirmed, newly dead, newly recovered by day.

2020-02-12,China,1950,23,48
2020-02-12,Japan,12,0,4
2020-02-12,Spain,0,1,1
2020-02-11,China,2034,24,36
2020-02-11,Japan,14,0,2
2020-02-11,Spain,1,0,0
back to the beginning

Something like that. Doesn't seem to exist but if I can find it and script a retrieval every day I can map this thing ;)

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
2/13/20 - Wartime Status Order - Beijing

View: https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1227947305157959681

This (link below) is in Chinese but you can click on the right "translate" button when the link first opens up for you"

BELOW IS THE TRANSLATION FROM THE CHINESE LINK ABOVE:
Beijing CDC Party Committee Issues Wartime Status Order
2020-02-13 18:38:07

Wartime Status Order
Party Committee of Beijing Centers for Disease Control
In order to further discipline, compact responsibility, and ensure that all prevention and control work is carried out in an efficient and standardized manner, the Party Committee of the Beijing Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a wartime state order, requiring its party members and employees to fully recognize the "critical period", "critical moment", and "keys" The urgency and importance of the moment, consciously established a "very conscious" and entered a "wartime state."

The first is to insist on using "state of war" to lead the thinking.
The center not only fulfills the city's epidemic prevention and control duties, provides professional technical support duties for government decision-making, but also implements the "unit responsibility" of the "quartet responsibility" to protect the safety and health of all employees, both of which are equally important and cannot be sidelined. Under the unified leadership of the Party Committee, it unconditionally obeys the decision-making and deployment of the Party Committee in the wartime state and serves the current prevention and control work. It resonates at the same frequency, obeys unified orders, unified commands, and acts.

The second is to insist on strengthening implementation with "wartime standards."
All party members and cadres must take overall consideration into account and resolutely put an end to work mistakes caused by this mistake. All employees must unconditionally obey work scheduling and consciously obey management. Strengthen the work style and achieve "the end of the day and the end of the day"; adhere to the problem-oriented, responsibility-oriented, sensitive matters in the prevention and control, unexplained events and the work of leaders at all levels, to understand the situation at the grassroots level and guide commence to work.

The third is to strictly control contact with "wartime thinking."
Minimize "cross-contact". During the epidemic, all staff members are strictly prohibited from leaving Beijing, strictly commuting to work, eating out, and consciously doing good health management after work. The Security Section should strengthen the access control of the three courtyards, and strictly control the entrance and exit of the gates and all foreign personnel. All personnel enter the hospital area for temperature monitoring and must enter the hospital with work cards to reduce unnecessary travel during work. Non-work must not be connected to the department, try to use the phone or WeChat, SMS and other means of communication. Minimize meetings and short meetings to control the number of participants.

The fourth is to insist on strict management with "wartime thinking."
Highlight political security, ideological security, network information security, security of confidential work, laboratory biological security, food security, etc. The epidemic data collection, statistics and reporting will be done well, and information security and confidentiality security incidents will be resolutely prevented. Front-line personnel engaged in flow regulation, pathogen inspection, and close management should strictly implement prevention and control guidelines and operating specifications, do a good job of personal protection requirements, and ensure personal safety. Strengthen laboratory management and resolutely put an end to the theft, leakage, and loss of pathogenic bacteria (poisons) and various samples.

Fifth, we must adhere to the "wartime need" service guarantee.
The equipment and material security department shall fully protect the front line, make plans in advance in accordance with the needs of the prevention and control of the flow of returning adults in Beijing, and evaluate and reserve and manage protective materials daily. Implement the "precision arrangement of materials" requirements, timely grasp the material inventory and daily consumption, and carry out scientific and efficient deployment, not only to implement a convenient procurement process to meet the needs of prevention and control, but also to seriously fulfill the "three major and one big" and internal control requirements. All employees should implement self-protection requirements, and non-epidemic personnel should not wear medical N95 masks, including N95 masks purchased by themselves.

Sixth, we must adhere to "war discipline" and take it seriously.
The current situation of epidemic prevention and control is extremely severe, and the responsibility for prevention and control is more important than Mount Tai. The big battle is coming. All party branches must mobilize their thoughts and gather the masses to give full play to the role of battle fortress; cadres at all levels must lead by example, dare to take the lead and give full play to the leading role; each party member must advance, take on the burden and give full play to the vanguard Exemplary role. All party branches, departments, and cadres at all levels must earnestly perform their main responsibilities, and disciplinary commissions must perform their supervisory responsibilities to ensure the smooth flow of government orders and prohibitions.

All middle-level cadres and branch secretaries who violated the disciplinary requirements in the entire epidemic prevention and control work and caused significant adverse effects and serious consequences to the center and the city's prevention and control work were all suspended or dismissed in advance; timely public notification of typical problems investigated and dealt with.

Last edited:

Atlantis

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Still looking for a DATA source showing country, newly confirmed, newly dead, newly recovered by day.

2020-02-12,China,1950,23,48
2020-02-12,Japan,12,0,4
2020-02-12,Spain,0,1,1
2020-02-11,China,2034,24,36
2020-02-11,Japan,14,0,2
2020-02-11,Spain,1,0,0
back to the beginning

Something like that. Doesn't seem to exist but if I can find it and script a retrieval every day I can map this thing ;)
I don't know the extent of your scripting abilities, nor can I say that this formatting stays consistent enough to make it 100% automated, but one source of data that's somewhat granular and released daily is the WHO SitReps.

If you are proficient you can probably scrape those daily releases for what you are looking for.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't know the extent of your scripting abilities, nor can I say that this formatting stays consistent enough to make it 100% automated, but one source of data that's somewhat granular and released daily is the WHO SitReps.

If you are proficient you can probably scrape those daily releases for what you are looking for.
The inspiration is interest, not need. Scraping those releases is within my reach, but a simple csv download that can be imported into a table is so much easier to deal with.

It's just annoying that those charts are generated from data in the first place. Would be so much easier if they just added one stupid link to a file with the raw data the charts derive from.

xtry51

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The inspiration is interest, not need. Scraping those releases is within my reach, but a simple csv download that can be imported into a table is so much easier to deal with.

It's just annoying that those charts are generated from data in the first place. Would be so much easier if they just added one stupid link to a file with the raw data the charts derive from.
But then you could peer review them and they would have to protect themselves.

Atlantis

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Okay, best I can do. Not CSV but basically an API.

Coronavirus data (Covid-19)

Also maybe something in here:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/datasets/comments/exnzrd/coronavirus_datasets/

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
It's hard to believe that the stock market is looking the other way on this thing given the economic impact of having China offline for any amount of time. Is it a nothing burger or is the tsunami wave still working its way around the globe?

xtry51

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Three weeks ago there were 554 cases total reported in the world and China locked down 11 million people in Wuhan and HK.

Yesterday the count went up 15,000.

It's pretty clear this virus is not containable and there were likely tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people already infected when China locked down 3 weeks ago.

We know its airborne. We know it survives better than regular flu on surfaces and in the air. This will transmit around the entire globe. You can't contain Flu and COVID has a much higher Ro (R naught - transmission scale) than regular flu.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three weeks ago there were 554 cases total reported in the world and China locked down 11 million people in Wuhan and HK.

Yesterday the count went up 15,000.

It's pretty clear this virus is not containable and there were likely tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people already infected when China locked down 3 weeks ago.

We know its airborne. We know it survives better than regular flu on surfaces and in the air. This will transmit around the entire globe. You can't contain Flu and COVID has a much higher Ro (R naught - transmission scale) than regular flu.
Well, the number jumped overwhelmingly due to China's "adjustment" - and I'm betting pretty much everyone has just assumed China's numbers were always pure bullshit. The numbers to watch will be from the rest of the planet.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I don't expect it to be contained but I wonder just how deadly it is for people who get it, whether asian or non-asian if that even matters. Even assuming China is under reporting the number of deaths you have to assume that they're not scratching the surface when it comes to reporting the number of infected. 10K dead (and hidden) in a single city may not be earth shattering if the majority of its 12M inhabitants have it.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Kids = human Petri dishes. Good luck and hang in there. Once they get to be about 10 it starts to ease up. When they are teens they are mostly getting sick with “normal” colds a few times a year. Until then, when there’s a new strain of flu (remember H1N1?), you’ll catch it. We did.
stopped at age 4-5 for us, hang in there.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
because the big $$ around the world doesn't want the markets to take a hit.
Over 10 people with a flu and 3 or 4 deemed to be recovered within the US? Yeah, must be a conspiracy. [banghead]

Yes, the mortality in China for one reason or another is quite alarming. Outside of China, while of course significant to anyone involved, is statistically completely and utterly insignificant. 3 or 4 outside China, and those might actually be Chinese who traveled? None in the US. I guarantee that during this time there were a significant number of fatal plain old flu cases in the US.

Even for NES, this thread has a ridiculous amount of tinfoil. As long as the Dems don't roll back the travel ban, it's unlikely this thing will go pandemic or even epidemic here. Sure, take precautions; but no need to sell all your stocks and seal yourself into a prepper cave.

Top Bottom