Another respiratory virus from China (Coronavirus Megathread)

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I’m curious. The US has 13 cases with 3 recovered. In what condition are the other 10? And why isn’t it news?
I don't know. If I was one of them, I would be posting on FB all about it. Has anyone seen interviews or social media reports from victims, here or anywhere? I think I saw one on a shop that's it.

mtnbiker26

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Big jump

I wonder if the WHO and CDC being in China has anything to do with the bump. We know they've been messing with the numbers
My first thought was "Wow, that's a HUGE jump from this morning. It's definitely not plateauing". My second thought was that maybe they're trying to increase the daily totals to catch up to the real numbers because the WHO is there seeing what's actually happening.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My first thought was "Wow, that's a HUGE jump from this morning. It's definitely not plateauing". My second thought was that maybe they're trying to increase the daily totals to catch up to the real numbers because the WHO is there seeing what's actually happening.
Your first mistake is assuming the WHO is competent and NOT corrupt.

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Welcome to like 10 - 20 pages back. ;)
LOL, no shit? I saw some 50% in a store the other day. I had never heard of it going that low tbh, so when I got home I researched the different percentages. To tell the truth I had assumed more was better. Must have missed that bit of info in the thread.

92G

NES Member
Rating - 99%
104   1   0
Does a Canuck count?

poor lady. i saw her story when she was separated from her husband on the cruise ship. I cannot imagine having my wife taken away and put into a foreign hospital. now while I anticipate her case will be unremarkable (great for her), she isn't yet out of the woods. many of these cases the viral pneumonia seems to developed 2-3 weeks into the course.

her case (and others) highlight that there is almost certainly a specific underlying genetic makeup of the host that determines severity of course. tobacco might be part of the equation but fails to explain the whole picture. we need to study cases like hers as much as the critically ill to understand the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLB

mtnbiker26

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I’m curious. The US has 13 cases with 3 recovered. In what condition are the other 10? And why isn’t it news?
CNN reports 14 cases now.

A new case of the coronavirus has been confirmed in Southern California’s Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego County, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention press officer Ana Toro told CNN.

This is the second evacuee from Wuhan, China under quarantine at MCAS Miramar to test positive.

More details: This is the 14th confirmed case in the US and the eighth in California.

mtnbiker26

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
poor lady. i saw her story when she was separated from her husband on the cruise ship. I cannot imagine having my wife taken away and put into a foreign hospital.\

her case (and others) highlight that there is almost certainly a specific underlying genetic makeup of the host that determines severity of course. tobacco might be part of the equation but fails to explain the whole picture. we need to study cases like hers as much as the critically ill to understand the difference.
Her husband looks like he might be in a wheelchair. I saw a photo they took and he appeared to be sitting while she was standing. Several of the videos he made from the cruise ship had metal crutches in the background. Sucks for him if she isn't around to help out and he could be also be more vulnerable to pneumonia if he's sedentary.

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I canceled a physical and a dental cleaning for this week. Not sure how I’m going to cancel the “Valentines couples massage”, with my wife, scheduled for Friday. :oops: Mrs. Canndo would not be happy! I wonder if they can do my massage while I’m wearing a biohazard suit.[laugh]
She wasn’t happy when I installed these, in all our bathrooms, a few years ago. [rofl]
View attachment 331299
Are you sick or afraid you're going to catch it when you go for the massage?

I was just reading an article and my takeaway is there is a long period of time where they just don't know.
“In reality, people are in the incubation period right now,” said Mitsuyoshi Urashima, a professor of molecular epidemiology at Jikei University Hospital in Tokyo. “The tests are not absolutely always right.”

“I’m sure a lot of people on board think, ‘If I’m negative, I’m cleared,’” Dr. Schaffner said. “It’s not that — you could be positive tomorrow.”

I don't know. If I was one of them, I would be posting on FB all about it. Has anyone seen interviews or social media reports from victims, here or anywhere? I think I saw one on a shop that's it.
That is one of the things bugging me about the US cases. No social media or anyone talking about quarantined relatives. Seems suspicious and makes me not believe the US numbers.
because the big $$ around the world doesn't want the markets to take a hit.
...and the motivation for keeping things under wraps will be trying to keep the fragile economy from crashing and to prevent panic buying.

djbradles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Strangely enough and it has been stated already but this virus is like sick celled anemia to Africans. It may affect some races more severely than others as I’ve heard. The 3D model was completed by a certain Professor Gerton (sp?) from WPI in Worcester. So similar to the sars virus. I’m not a cellular biologist or pathologist to speak with any authority but this virus will mutate I’m sure. It might have been best that this didn’t happen in early fall of ‘19. It might have ruined my hunting season.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
has anyone read the actual plan and the other documents it references and can actually make heads or tails out of it?
It’s the military. FUBAR as usual. We’re just lucky we have competent people to execute idiot plans. And no, I haven’t read the plans. But these are the cliff notes.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Some details about how immune response works, and how to improve it (basically, sleep more) :

View: https://youtu.be/qqZYEgREuZ8
We call it the deer camp Ebola. Each year, a bunch of us head to PA to deer hunt for a week. The cast of characters changes year to year with new invites and people who drop out due to other obligations.

But it never fails that a new guy will get sick.

Why? No sleep.

Happened to me the first and second year doing it. You get so hyped up with a target rich environment that you get up early and stay late and then stay up late eating and drinking and do that for a few days. You will get sick doing that.

but then there is always the a hole that shows up sick! That is what pisses me off.

sleep. Get some.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
First off, congrats on the recent child!

My boys are 7 and 5 and they both went to daycare. They got sick a lot back then but not so much now. One of the way kids learn about the world is by putting random shit in their mouths. They all do it so yes, they are walking Petri dishes. Do you know how many times it takes a toddler to learn that cat puke is yucky? At least twice.

The best thing to have on hand is some anti bacterial wipes. Use them often. My boys were trained early not to touch anything inside a public bathroom. Drill that into him and just accept that he is going to be sick all the time until he hits about 5-6.
Thanks. The constant sick thing is something that I don't recall ever being warned about before we had the kid. The thing is - he gets sick - and he gets me sick too. So I've just lost track of how many times I've been sick over the last year. And I get stuff that I don't think I ever usually get. A month or so ago - I threw up three times over the course of a day. He gave me some sort of stomach bug that really sent me for a loop. And the thing was - I pretty much never vomit. The last time I can recall vomiting was probably 3 decades ago when I was in my 20's and still used to out drinking with friends.

We're pretty good with keeping him away from stuff he shouldn't be touching - and we've gotten him to the point where he actually likes washing his hands. But when he's in daycare there's no control at all as near as I can see. My wife said she saw a kid shoving his hands down his pants the other morning, and you just know he was going around touching all the other kids after he pulled his finger out of his butt. Hello hand, foot and mouth disease.

I figure my disease vector for getting cornhola virus probably runs directly thru my son. I'm told the wife to keep a close eye on that Chinese kid that shows up in his room some days.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The abrupt increase in numbers explained:

The government is no longer requiring a positive test, the news agency said, a decision made partly because testing kits are in short supply. New cases are now being confirmed if a person is simply diagnosed by a doctor or other health professional; China says the new standard will help treat people more quickly once they exhibit symptoms of the virus.

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
The abrupt increase in numbers explained:

The government is no longer requiring a positive test, the news agency said, a decision made partly because testing kits are in short supply. New cases are now being confirmed if a person is simply diagnosed by a doctor or other health professional; China says the new standard will help treat people more quickly once they exhibit symptoms of the virus.
By “healthcare worker” they mean military. And by “treat people more quickly”, they mean cremate them. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom