• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another question for the S&W revolver guys: Trigger jobs.

Is it possible to get the SA trigger to feel a bit more like a Sig SA? I'm sorry if I just angered some higher power but I'd like the trigger on my 627 to have a bit of light, springy takeup and then a light but crisp break point. The current SA trigger is almost too light.

Why on earth would you do that? That's the best part. [grin]

Better yet, get the action slicked up and have the spur cut off and shoot it
double action... like god intended... [laugh]

-Mike

That's like saying your car runs too smoothly so you want to find someone to pull off a couple of spark plug wires.

What can I say, I'd like it to be just a bit more crispy.

Isn't this site all about personal freedom? IMO, questioning another man's taste in firearms is essentially bad mouthing America.

What can I say, I'd like it to be just a bit more crispy.

The thing is, most DA revolvers have a very short trigger throw in single
action. I don't think there's any way to increase the pull length/weight in that mode, without serious modifications.

You'd be amazed what an action job can do to the DA, though.

Isn't this site all about personal freedom? IMO, questioning another man's taste in firearms is essentially bad mouthing America.

FWIW, I agree that people should set up their guns how they want them, so as to maximize enjoyment of the firearm.

-Mike

If only all semi-autos could have the "breaking glass" trigger pull of a S&W single action pull. [wink]

drgrant, I just realized where your avatar comes from. Bond! [smile]

The N frames that I have shot have had some of the best triggers that I have ever felt. My advice: Work on the SIG trigger. Otherwise your taking a Van Gogh and scribbling on it to make it look more like the paintings you are used to. Doesn't make sense, does it?

The thing is, most DA revolvers have a very short trigger throw in single
action. I don't think there's any way to increase the pull length/weight in that mode, without serious modifications.

You'd be amazed what an action job can do to the DA, though.

FWIW, I agree that people should set up their guns how they want them, so as to maximize enjoyment of the firearm.

-Mike

I was really just joking. This scene from Animal House was in the back of my mind.

image_14a.jpg

The trigger as it stands is by no means bad, obviously. However, in SA, it's like I just touch it and the hammer drops. I'd kind of like to feel *something*. I really like my Sig trigger in SA so I used that as an example.

I'll definitely shoot it more before I make a decision on a trigger job.

The trigger as it stands is by no means bad, obviously. However, in SA, it's like I just touch it and the hammer drops. I'd kind of like to feel *something*. I really like my Sig trigger in SA so I used that as an example.

The only problem that you are going to run into, and this is in all seriousness so don't think that I'm being witty, is that you're going to take the gun to a smith and tell him that "in SA, it's like I just touch it and the hammer drops." and he's going to say "Ya, that's pretty much the point". If I were a smith I'd do whatever you want to the trigger as long as you're paying me, but I'd probably look at you like you had two heads if you wanted to take the trigger on an N frame and make it worse.

Have you considered selling the gun before you do this, and maybe buying Ruger or something? That's not a joke either. Part of the price youre paying for the S&W is the craftsmanship that produces triggers like that. Maybe you might think of selling the Smith for a Ruger and you'll pay for the Ruger with a little pocket change to spare, you'll have a stronger gun, and you'll have a little less of a trigger. Maybe a hair of creep, and maybe a little stiffer. Not really noticeable though from the ones I've shot. They are a little different though, you might like them.

Last edited:
How about a single action revolver? The triggers on many tend to have slight creep instead of that "breaking glass" letoff.

While Supermoto has the answer to make the SA pull heavier, there is no way I know of to add creep/slack/take up to a S&W SA trigger sear.

Honestly, forget about SA shooting. Have a competent revolver smith smooth and slightly lighten your DA trigger and train with it. You will be amazed at how well one can shoot a DA revolver when the trigger runs smoothly without grinds, bumps, or stack up.

PS, a 7 to 8 lb smoooooth DA pull feels amazingly light.

I'm sorry if I just angered some higher power but I'd like the trigger on my 627 to have a bit of light, springy takeup and then a light but crisp break point.

You've angered the revolver gods. As your penance, shoot 3 686's & 3 629's, & your transgressions will be forgiven.

Shoot in DA if it makes you feel better. [wink]

Can you lighten the DA trigger on a 360? It is a long heavy pull in DA. In SA it is super light.

Back
Top Bottom