• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another Question #10 help request

KingPing

NES Member
A buddy of mine wants to go apply for his LTC. About 20 years ago (hes 38) he got into some trouble. He was arrested and charged. Before he ever went to court the person responsible for the incident came forward and confessed to the charges. Hes not sure if it was thrown out or dismissed etc. He wants to answer yes and explain himself. His question is....

Where and how can he obtain a copy of the records so he can provide accurate dates and details of the actual charges?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just go ask where you will be submitting your application? Someone I know had a fuzzy date for something that happened when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and they just looked up the record for us right there and told us dates & outcome (dismissed). Good luck.

But if I read the OP correctly, he never went to court? If this is truly the case, technically you would answer no to #10. I think your buddy should be up front about the arrest when he applies because it will show up when the run him, but I'm not sure question 10 would be the right place to do that if he never "appeared as a defendant".

If he was arrested, and/or charged, the court will have a record of it regardless if charges were dropped, case of mistaken identity, etc.

The court it would have been heard in is the place to get the record, nowhere else.

Not for nothing... I applied for my LTC in Chelmsford a while back. I had a 20+ year-old drug (5 roaches as I recall) charge, which was dismissed via Pre-Trial Intervention and expunged a year later. NO conviction, NO guilty plea, NO finding either way. My attorney at the time told me that I could answer "No" to "Have you ever been arrested or convicted questions on job applications, that only the State (of NJ) would track the use of the PTI/Get out of Jail Free...

So, I fill out my application, follow said Attorneys advice, get a call THE VERY NEXT DAY from the Chelmsford PD saying "We got a hit, what's the story?" I explained, she told me that "Arrested means arrested, but since there was no conviction you should be ok" and rwo weeks later, my Class A card was waiting for me. So, they're GONNA find out, even though it may have happened before computerised records.

Based SOLELY on my experience, tell 'em the truth, they'll verify there was no conviction, shoukd be moot. Of course, I imagine it depends on the town and Chief, but Mass IS supposed to be "Will Issue"...

If you were arrested and charged, it is in the CJIS file somewhere. The department that arrested you will usually run your info for free if they are not too busy. No sense paying and waiting when they can do it right there. You don't have to pay to have anything printed, just write down the dates.

FYI the criminal info the police see when they run your name is different from what a landlord or potential employer sees when they are doing a background check. They only see convictions, but the police see anything you were ever charged with including your juvenille record.

Back
Top Bottom