• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

another non-res question

Since i was doing my NH form tonight, i also spend a lot of time in RI. I work a spitting distance from east providence border actually.

Which route is best when going for the RI non-resident.

I've heard

complete everything online from the state website

complete a towns online form (ex. burriville)

Go to the town and ask for the forms and complete them while getting your prints done at the same time

Seems like a lot of BS hoops for a RI permit. photo's fingerprints 3 letters of reference from non family and nra qualification ?

Maybe im reading too far into it all?

Listen, you are going to have to go through hoops in RI. Period. You can choose to go to a town that issues out-of-state permits or you can go to the AG. If you go to the AG, you NEED A REASON FOR A PERMIT. They are shall issue. They jerked me over (a resident) and told me I did not need one. My town issued with no problems, just a lot of irritating paperwork.

If I were you, assuming you're not in documentable fear for your life or an armored care driver, go through a town. Show up, pick up their permit and follow their BS.

Every town is a little different but they are all tougher today than they were 4-5 years ago. The NRA qualification is state law. The fingerprints and the references are policy about everywhere.

Listen, you are going to have to go through hoops in RI. Period. You can choose to go to a town that issues out-of-state permits or you can go to the AG. If you go to the AG, you NEED A REASON FOR A PERMIT. They are shall issue. They jerked me over (a resident) and told me I did not need one. My town issued with no problems, just a lot of irritating paperwork.

If I were you, assuming you're not in documentable fear for your life or an armored care driver, go through a town. Show up, pick up their permit and follow their BS.

Every town is a little different but they are all tougher today than they were 4-5 years ago. The NRA qualification is state law. The fingerprints and the references are policy about everywhere.

Could you rec. a town to try to go through?

Same question here guys. Can somebody recommend a town? I see Burriville mentioned in several forums. Finally does anybody know if a C&R license would help? I'm waiting for forms from ATF.

Thanks. Would especially appreciate some feedback on ACTUAL experiences.

Ugh. All I hear are rumors about the other side of the state from my side of state (everyone says Burrillville works). If you are genuinely interested, I personally know the guy in my town who is responsible for issuing permits for the PD. I can contact him and find out if my town will do it but you have to be serious. He is a busy guy and I do not want to dick him around for your BS. It maybe a no go, I don't know. But I am willing to reach out to him assuming that if he says yes, you commit to it.

How a Non RI resident can apply in certain RI town??? Unless you reside in THAT town? AFAIK non residents have to go through AG's office.

How a Non RI resident can apply in certain RI town??? Unless you reside in THAT town? AFAIK non residents have to go through AG's office.

There is no prohibition on towns giving non-resident permits. It is even allowed! There is also no specific prohibition on one town giving a permit to a RI resident from another town, although that is not specifically addressed in the law and I suspect no COP would be interested in such a proposition.

This is the problem with you folks: no one reads the laws! You just make your own BS up on the spot or foolishly believe that the arbitrary and jack@assed policy of a local PD is law. READ THE GODDAMN LAW!

I'll do you the favor and quote it:

(a) The licensing authorities of any city or town shall, upon application of any person twenty-one (21) years of age or over having a bona fide residence or place of business within the city or town, or of any person twenty-one (21) years of age or over having a bona fide residence within the United States and a license or permit to carry a pistol or revolver concealed upon his or her person issued by the authorities of any other state or subdivision of the United States, issue a license or permit to the person to carry concealed upon his or her person a pistol or revolver everywhere within this state for four (4) years from date of issue,

Now if a local PD were smart, they would read this law and say , "cha-ching." No where does it state that a town could not charge an additional processing fee, of say $200, to do all the leg work. There are tons of CT and MA residents who already hold legal home state permits that would pay $240 for a RI permit for 4 years. Tons. My guess is that a local PD could probably rack up enough dough to hire another cop with gravy left over….. And the law specifically exempts the issuing towns and it's employees from any liability, so it really is a no-brainer.

Wouldn't a CoP opening those food gates really piss off the ag?

No COP in any New England city/town works for the AG in their state. They work for the mayor/selectmen/town manager in their individual city/town. So pissing off the AG is meaningless.

No COP in any New England city/town works for the AG in their state. They work for the mayor/selectmen/town manager in their individual city/town. So pissing off the AG is meaningless.

I wouldn't say meaningless. A lot of the politics of local government can make life difficult if you piss off the wrong people.

Back
Top Bottom