another newbie question

Im sure this has been covered already on this site, but I can not find it, so please forgive what im sure is a redundant question.

so, I have a Class A and want to buy a Bushmaster XM15 (or any other MA approved AR 15 type firearm). what are the rules regarding modifications. example:

Adding:

Telescoping Stock
a shorter Upper Receiver/Barrel Assembly (no slug)
and a hand grip under the barrel

Adjustable stock has to be pinned in place.

Shorter barrel is fine but no flash suppressor, bayonet lug or bayonet. You can have a compensator

Hand grip is fine

Im sure this has been covered already on this site, but I can not find it, so please forgive what im sure is a redundant question.

so, I have a Class A and want to buy a Bushmaster XM15 (or any other MA approved AR 15 type firearm). what are the rules regarding modifications. example:

Adding:

Telescoping Stock
a shorter Upper Receiver/Barrel Assembly (no slug)
and a hand grip under the barrel

it needs to comply with the MA assault weapons ban (basically a clone of the Federal AWB from a few years back), unless it was manufactured prior to 1994.

So assuming you are buying a new AR15, it cannot have more than two of the following features: (i might have missed one or two, it's early...)
-collapsable stock
-flash hider
-bayo lug
-detachable mag
-pistol grip

Since obviously the detachable mag and pistol grip are the most popular "features" to have on an AR15, you have to get rid of the above 3.

Barrel must be longer than 16" unless you want to do NFA paperwork

Piling on to sevenMMmag...

Another "evil feature" is a grenade launcher on a post pan or ban AR15.

Also on a post ban or ban AR15, any muzzle device (read compensator) must be permanently attached. IIRC, since it will be permanently attached, you can go with a 14.5" barrel & a long compensator to reach the minimum 16" barrel length without NFA paperwork.

If you intend to go pre-ban so you can dress up your AR in MA, don't forget the potential issue with large/small hole receivers from Colt. The original intent was to make it difficult for civilians to install military upper receivers on AR15s. There are adapter pins available though.

Happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom