• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another Move-to-MA Firearm Question

RobC's thread on moving to MA made me wonder about something. Say person A moved to MA from a (non-nh) free state, and had person B in NH hold onto a handgun (normally not MA legal make/model) for them while they applied for an LTC. Now fast forward about a year later and person A never actually applied for the LTC for whatever reason. What would be the status of this firearm? Is person B in violation due to the fact they have a handgun in their possession that came from another state but was never transfered through an FFL? Or would it just be a case of an extended borrowing of the handgun, even though the original owner can't even own it legally anymore?

RobC's thread on moving to MA made me wonder about something. Say person A moved to MA from a (non-nh) free state, and had person B in NH hold onto a handgun (normally not MA legal make/model) for them while they applied for an LTC. Now fast forward about a year later and person A never actually applied for the LTC for whatever reason. What would be the status of this firearm? Is person B in violation due to the fact they have a handgun in their possession that came from another state but was never transfered through an FFL? Or would it just be a case of an extended borrowing of the handgun, even though the original owner can't even own it legally anymore?

I think the part in bold is the crux of the problem, regardless of how long person B has had the gun. How did person B legally acquire the gun, across state lines, in the first place?

I have a NH non-resident permit. That allows me to carry and possess my handgun(s) in NH. I don't believe it gives me the right to dispose/transfer that handgun to a resident of another state.

Just my $.02, and I'm probably wrong. I have a hard enough time keeping track of what's legal in the PRM, let alone across state lines. [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom