• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another Mosin Nagant

So this one, if I count my Chinese T-53, makes my fourth. Buying online is just too damn tempting.

The vendor called it a '91/30 Hex Receiver, Excellent Condition, Hand Selected.' Other than that, I didn't know anything about the rifle until UPS dropped it off yesterday.

It is a 1943 Tula. When I tried looking it up on the rarity chart http://www.7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRarity.htm it isn't even listed. I don't know what that means. I do not buy these things for their collector value, and I assume that the billboard-sized import etching, right on the freaking receiver, wouldn't help at all in that area.

The bore looks better than any of my other Mosins.

I won't have time to clean it up for a few days, as I am having gall bladder surgery later today. I will post some pictures once it is all cleaned up.

New Mosin 007.jpg New Mosin 010.jpg New Mosin 011.jpg New Mosin 012.jpg New Mosin 013.jpg New Mosin 014.jpg

My bad, I thought it was a M44 you purchased so .....never mind[laugh]

A 1943 was the first year of production/ testing of the design. Some 50,000 rifles were made during this "test" period*.

The stock is without the metal inserts for the sling hangers which is correct. Its a Tula hex receiver which is my personal favorite. Also its a hex receiver which is also not as common as the round receivers. Due to the time required to build a hex receiver the Russians opted for the easier round receiver.
Some Tula marked rifles were actually manufactured at the Izhevsk factory but are stamped with the Tula star and arrow receiver markings.These rifles were m1938 converted to the M44 configuration. Look for any markings that may indicate the Izhevsk factory. If so you have a rare one.

Either way congratulations on a nice pick up. Regarding the import mark, try some cold blue to at least make it less obvious. Its no big deal its still a great rifle.[cheers]

* Information from "The Mosin Nagant Rifle by Terence W. Lapin 5th Edtion , Revised.

Last edited:
50 bmg, pretty sure it's a 91/30 he has there. Not an m38/m44

It's a hex, which means a recycled receiver since hex receivers were stopped in 1935/1936.

For rarity, a 43 Tula round receiver is a 2, but since it's a recycled receiver it increases the "bonus" slightly.

Cool 91/30 to have. The original barrel could have been damaged in battle. You'll never know.

Pull the rifle apart and check the date on the bottom of the rear receiver tang. I'm guessing early 30s date.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yep. The hex on a 1943 is not the usual fare. Check the bottom side of the rear tang. You'll find a date of 1936 or earlier, for sure. Nice pick up, and I would bump that one a couple of points on the rarity scale, just because a buff like me might pay a small premium for one. Not every collector has a late hex M91/30. I don't!

I don't either, but I wish I did.

If anyone is starting a pool, I'm taking 1934 as the receiver year.

Thanks, guys. As soon as I get home and recover from having my gall bladder removed I will pull it apart and look for a date stamp.

Well, it's a 1931 Ishevsk. The small bits are now baking in the oven, and the furniture is in a black bag out in my son's car.

Mosin Date 001.jpg Mosin Date 002.jpg Mosin Date 004.jpg

Nice.

You'll never know but perhaps a '31 Izhevsk was destroyed sometime in 42-43 by some means. The russians sent the damaged gun back and the parts were reused

If only that receiver could talk .

Back
Top Bottom