Another little MN Gem

Well, there was an estate auction just down the street from me yesterday and there was a table with forty guns. One of them was another Finn captured Mosin.

1921 Izhevsk Dragoon, SA Marked. $153 OTD. 8)

1921_izzy_002.jpg

1921_izzy_003.jpg

1921_izzy_009.jpg

1921_izzy_010.jpg

1921_izzy_013.jpg

1921_izzy_015.jpg

1921_izzy_008.jpg

1921_izzy_016.jpg

1921_izzy_019.jpg

1921_izzy_021.jpg

1921_izzy_023.jpg

1921_izzy_027.jpg

The front band appears to be from a US made rifle (Springfield?). And I need to find some barrel bands and a good non-refurb handguard, but the rifle was essentially 1/2 price, again!

Out to the range this morning with my two new Finns. Both have bright bores pass the bullet test with flying colors. I'll give a function and accuracy report later.

[smile]

Crap..... I almost went to that auction. Good deal for you. If I went one of us would have had to pay a lot more for it :)

A couple of Finn disappointments...

Range Day was 18degF and light snow, but good enough for shooting holes. So, I took my two new-to-me Finns out for a test today.

First disappointment was the '21 Izzy Dragoon. From the table and sandbags at 80 yards, with the rear sight on the lowest setting and 6 o'clock POI, it was two feet high! Three inch groups on the cardboard, but nowhere on the paper.

Second disappointment was not as egregious. The '05 Imperial Tula M91 was dialed in from the start. I was satisfied with 8 ring or better, using Yugo surplus from the slightly frosted bore.

- but here is a pic of the rear ring and handguard when I finished after 15 rounds.

Jan_30_range_013.jpg

And it's possible that the '21 Dragoon might need a proper handguard and band set-up before I can say that it still shoots 2' high. There may be some odd flexing going on with just the single forward band.

Well, I'm glad you didn't go to the auction to bid, NinerMaine - except that it may have been a chance to meet. And the other 39 guns were interesting, 40 cal, but only one caught my eye for my collection.

Martin, some of the Finn captured rifles were issued without upper hand-guards. Also if you are shooting that high the front sight may have been changed out. Some of the Finn rifles have what appears to be a stacked front sight.

Could you please leave some of those gems for me to buy.

I have put some feelers out for the front sight base extension, Fred. I've seen a few that have sold over the past 90 days or so, but none up for sale at the moment. But I'm not fully convinced that the single point forward band is best for the gun and its accuracy at this time. It was designed to use two banding points. What I could do, is take a handguard and bands from a 91/30 and give it another whirl before attempting to dial it in. May be worth a try.

And that auction was only three doors down from my business. I couldn't just pass it up! But if the Mother Lode of Finns does surface, you know I can't buy them all. I'll save a few for you. You do have room for more, don't you?

Back
Top Bottom